• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pre-code golden age horror...WITCHES TALES and BLACK CAT MYSTERY

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys....I purchased my 1st pre-code horror today---anyone know much about these?

WITCHES TALES #4 (CGC 9.0) highest on census

WITCHES TALES #16 (CGC 8.5) highest on census

BLACK CAT MYSTERY COMICS #42 (CGC 7.0) 2nd highest, only 3 higher and only at 8.5

and a bronze age goodie....

STRANGE ADVENTURES #230 (CGC 9.6) highest on census

Definitely nice books. 893applaud-thumb.gif Post some scans, why don't ya? poke2.gif

If you're just starting to dip into pre-code, you'll find that Harvey pre-code horror is in far greater abundance than the other publishers, due to warehouse finds (lots of these) and the presence of some file copies (less of these, generally nicer page quality than the warehouse books). In terms of scarcity, Harveys are the most common of the PCHS in high grade (8.0 and better), followed by ECs, followed by just about everything else.

If there weren't all those warehouse books floating around, I think the Harvey horror stuff would go for far greater dollar values than it does. So many great covers to choose from!

Hey guys....I purchased my 1st pre-code horror today---anyone know much about these?

WITCHES TALES #4 (CGC 9.0) highest on census

WITCHES TALES #16 (CGC 8.5) highest on census

BLACK CAT MYSTERY COMICS #42 (CGC 7.0) 2nd highest, only 3 higher and only at 8.5

and a bronze age goodie....

STRANGE ADVENTURES #230 (CGC 9.6) highest on census

OK - I am not trying to be a jerk or obtuse but I have to ask you. You bought slabbed books. I assume you will keep them in the slabs since both are highest on census?

Do you plan on getting really low grade reader copies? I'm not really sure what you mean about "anyone know much about them?". What kind of information are you seeking?

The Harveys have some very good stories and art. Also great covers. But from what perspective are you coming?

I posted in TWO places because I wasn't sure where the best place to ask this question was.

A) they are golden age books, so I thought the Golden Age board would be a good start.

B) The Market Place boards, on the chance that people who buy and sell these books would know something about them.

To answer the other questions, I have no intention on cracking them out of the slabs. I bought them on a spur of the moment impulse buy because I couldn't beat the asking price.

I didn't know they were highest on census until I got them home.

And eventually, I will probably sell or trade them for something else that I want instead.

I posted in TWO places because I wasn't sure where the best place to ask this question was.

A) they are golden age books, so I thought the Golden Age board would be a good start.

B) The Market Place boards, on the chance that people who buy and sell these books would know something about them.

To answer the other questions, I have no intention on cracking them out of the slabs. I bought them on a spur of the moment impulse buy because I couldn't beat the asking price.

I didn't know they were highest on census until I got them home.

And eventually, I will probably sell or trade them for something else that I want instead.

OK - I thought we had a precode horror fan in the making. Your best bet is to simple ask in the marketplace about values.

SHAMELESS GOAD ALERT!

Are we ever going to see HCR 5??? poke2.gif

It's been over a year since I read the first four.

Yeah c'mon newlywed! Start review'in! poke2.gif

There was supposed to be an interview with...with...Oh hell, I've already forgotton!

Steve Niles was it? flowerred.gif