• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age uk price variants
2 2

105 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, mec3437 said:

Thank you!  It's been a labor of love, that's for sure.  One day, I might complete my X-Men UKPV run if a low grade rag of #1 doesn't reach the straotsphere in price.  

Hopefully you can get an x-men 1 pence I know how hard it is to do as a run for the pence copies it took me years to replace my x-men 101 pence in a grade I was happy with 

On 10/17/2021 at 11:33 AM, Garystar said:

Was affordable during the Bronze Age (and copper) but not so much now. 
1E037D8A-9010-4915-8C55-6F216DE46721.thumb.jpeg.f31f473543fb7e07ee39ab8d21300ca5.jpeg

The last few years have been pretty disastrous haven't they. I saw a mid grade copy in a shop whilst on holiday a few years back. A couple of grand. I thought I might be able to squeeze a bit more out of it but not enough to make a two grand layout on holiday worthwhile. I could quadruple that now. It's mildly alarming isn't it lol

Will it dissuade people from collecting if some issues and therefore a full set is prohibitively expensive? Even when I started collecting a complete batman or Superman collection was out of reach but people still collect the main titles - or would even more people collect if they thought they could complete?

On 10/17/2021 at 3:11 PM, Garystar said:

Will it dissuade people from collecting if some issues and therefore a full set is prohibitively expensive? Even when I started collecting a complete batman or Superman collection was out of reach but people still collect the main titles - or would even more people collect if they thought they could complete?

I still hope to complete Batman, Superman and everything else too, I never will but thats what I am driven to do lol 

On 10/17/2021 at 3:11 PM, Garystar said:

It sort of makes sense that Action and Detective 27 are out of reach in a way. Donkeys years old and scarce in numbers. But Marvel keys? They've been in good supply and within reach our whole collecting lifetimes. It seems odd watching some of them moving away now. 

On 10/17/2021 at 6:31 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

It sort of makes sense that Action and Detective 27 are out of reach in a way. Donkeys years old and scarce in numbers. But Marvel keys? They've been in good supply and within reach our whole collecting lifetimes. It seems odd watching some of them moving away now. 

In my Heritage archives I have a losing bid of 49k on an Action #1, it sold for 69k, how I wish I could have found that 20k now, I guess that was as close as I will ever come :( 

Yeah I have had all the Marvel keys so long now the prices are irrelevant as I rarely look at prices of books I have, but occasionally something catches my eye and I have a WTH moment :o

Its not just the keys either, books I have memory of almost no value seem crazy at the moment.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, Kevin.J said:

Its not just the keys either, books I have memory of almost no value seem crazy at the moment.

Yes. The general rule of thumb seems to be that a book will achieve only the most modest incremental rise in value over many years up to the point that I sell it. That action then almost immediately catapults the book skyward to prices hitherto undreamed of. 

See that Kev? I got the word hitherto into a post. I'm quite pleased about that. 

On 10/17/2021 at 8:01 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes. The general rule of thumb seems to be that a book will achieve only the most modest incremental rise in value over many years up to the point that I sell it. That action then almost immediately catapults the book skyward to prices hitherto undreamed of. 

The cure for that affliction is to never ever, ever, ever, sell anything, then at the end, burn the lot as a funeral pyre, once its mine its mine forever :whee:

On 10/17/2021 at 8:40 PM, Kevin.J said:

The cure for that affliction is to never ever, ever, ever, sell anything, then at the end, burn the lot as a funeral pyre, once its mine its mine forever :whee:

Releeeaaaase the Charrrrltons........

What was that? Did you hear that Kev? No? Oh. Must've been my imagination. Anyway, you were saying......

On 10/17/2021 at 8:46 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Releeeaaaase the Charrrrltons........

What was that? Did you hear that Kev? No? Oh. Must've been my imagination. Anyway, you were saying......

Yeah okay, I will leave you the Charlton's in my will, just the Pencers though :) 

On 10/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, Garystar said:

For some, yes.  Others, maybe not.  The cost, especially on the key issues, has become somewhat prohibitive but not impossible.  I have slowed down on my X-Men pence run but haven't abandoned it.  I need 16 more issues to complete the it.  Of the 16 issues, however, 1, 2, 3 are on the list.  I may have to do some selling or something else to free up the cash needed for those, but I still have some hope of owning them.  #1 will be tough, but the others for sure.