• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I find a reliable Comic Book Presser?
4 4

58 posts in this topic

Finding a good reliable presser you can trust is generally "easy" unfortunately they are booked out for six plus months usually (because they are both good and trustworthy). As a SS guy sometimes I have to skip pressing as the artist only has 1-to-2 appearances a year (only does remarks once every two years), is in their 70's (so time is a factor), and the book in question has only come to market in the last couple of weeks.

I don't have any helpful information I just wanted to complain.:devil:

On 7/16/2024 at 10:44 PM, DougC said:

I think advertising your services would work better if you added a "c" to beach lol

Also the recommendation for hero restoration on the third post is heartbreaking given what we now know.

LOL.  Excellent point!  Thanks!  

PalmBeachPresser

On 8/3/2024 at 11:57 PM, jmg3637 said:

I just submitted 40 books for the CGC   July grading and pressing sale.  I really could have used someone else judgements on which books would benefit, and how much prior a press.  

I offer an optional prescreen service that includes estimated current grades, listing of defects, and potential final grade if cleaned & pressed for $2.50/book. The customer then advises which books to proceed with servicing, and which to return (or send directly to CGC without pressing).  Additionally, I provide an estimated grade for every book that I press included in the pressing fee.  This gives the customer the opportunity to make the final decision on if each book is worthy of sending for grading.  Find out more at https://PalmBeachPresser.com 

On 10/9/2024 at 8:55 AM, joeypost said:

There is a well known presser that offers the following services.

Free pre-screening.

No fee for cracking a books out of the slab.

Free drop off at CGC.

Has pressed almost 300,000 books.

Worked on 3 major pedigrees and collections. And upgraded many other pedigree books  

Has the lowest prices around.

Already does work for many, many board members and major dealers. 

So you're saying you know a guy :D

On 10/9/2024 at 5:55 AM, joeypost said:

There is a well known presser that offers the following services.

Free pre-screening.

No fee for cracking a books out of the slab.

Free drop off at CGC.

Has pressed almost 300,000 books.

Worked on 3 major pedigrees and collections. And upgraded many other pedigree books  

Has the lowest prices around.

Already does work for many, many board members and major dealers. 

Joey has been my exclusive presser for around 15 years so if you know me, if I like it, I stick with it.  My trust in his abilities and service has not wavered at all over the years. 

I trust the Comic Doctor out of Oshawa, Ontario. For several reasons

-he has been doin this since the early 2010s

-he responds in a timely manner

-he is very transparent through his Youtube channel and when discussing his times, pricing, etc etc

-he is willing to tell you "hey don't waste your time pressing/cleaning/grading this book" if you are curious

-he has a brick and mortar location (can visit him in person, has proper insurances, etc)

Just a solid fellow who I have yet to see people complain about, other than being backed up from work once in a while I get if you are someone trying to flip a book quick or something. For most collectors, getting books back with a job well done in a few months is all we desire.

On 10/9/2024 at 9:32 AM, greggy said:

Joey has been my exclusive presser for around 15 years so if you know me, if I like it, I stick with it.  My trust in his abilities and service has not wavered at all over the years. 

And I've also used Joey for almost as long and I'm very similar, if I'm happy I stay and I've stayed.  And I have tried a couple of local pressers, mostly for convenience or for a couple books I want to get done quickly and the results were ok but I never got a book that surprised me.  Pretty well every time I send a box of books to Joey for pressing I get back 1 that is graded much higher than I thought possible.  My Fantastic Four #12 that I had at 5.0 came back 8.0 and my Suspense Comics #9 that I had as a 3.0 came back as a 7.0.

As an aside, one of the local pressers disappeared in a cloud of smoke about a year after I used them to grade a Hulk #181.  They seemed solid and had been in business a few years and were well liked in the community.  Nobody's really talking but I've heard rumours of many missing books and a partner that was stealing and there are a lot of angry collectors.  Be very careful who you trust with your precious collectibles.

On 10/9/2024 at 11:32 AM, greggy said:

Suck up.

I really wish CGC still allowed affiliated pressers to still crack out SS books and press them to be resubmitted without getting another signature (I have been told they are not "supposed" to press the book inbetween). I do not trust CGC and how they destroy press books but such is life.

On 10/11/2024 at 1:31 PM, Stefan_W said:

Finding a comic presser is like finding a hair stylist - when you find someone you really like and trust you will be loyal to them until the end. 

I found mine in 1995 and he's still cutting hair at 85.  

On 10/11/2024 at 9:59 PM, greggy said:

I found mine in 1995 and he's still cutting hair at 85.  

I was born an raised in Winnipeg, and I found a barber shop there run by an old Italian gentleman who was very old school - old style chairs, pinups on the wall, the whole nine yards. When I went in he would give me the full treatment with a hot towel shave and also shave my head both with a straight razor. I went to him for years until I moved for work, and even then I still let my hair and stubble grow out a bit when I went to visit my mom a couple of times a year so I always had a reason to go to his shop while I was there. Sadly, he passed away a couple of years ago but he still gave me the best hair cuts and shaves I ever had right up until the end. 

People who are put together to do it right, and know what they are doing, are priceless.