• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Comic Collection! Putting my Baseball Card Money into Comics

18 posts in this topic

Great cards, the Goodwin Champions Anson and Kelly are on my card shortlist. Narrowly missed out on an Anson not long ago in an RE auction. Love the CJ Cobb and Jackson and the Groudey Ruth as well. If you ever want to trade cards for keys comics, PM me. I have extras of TOS 39, Hulk 1, ASM 1, AF 15, Avengers 4, etc.

Very cool story and collection.

I'm in my thirties started collecting comics when I was 5 due to family members planting that seed. I stopped collecting for a few years around 12 years old but kept reading and as a teenager read most of everything Alan Moore wrote. That reignited the collecting bug in me. I didn't start getting obsessive about it again until I was probably 24. Then I started completing runs and collecting specific first appearances and keys.

I'm trying to trim my collection of over 20,000 books down and focus on the books that I can't get out of my head.... Namely HOS 92 ASM 129 and MS 5. Most of the other big targets have been aquired that are reasonable.... Those three have alway been slightly out of my reach in the grades I want but I'm in the market for mid grade copy of one of them right now.

Love the books, the hobby, and the people. Comics collecting has been a great joy for me through the years.

On 3/4/2021 at 7:53 AM, RickSp said:

A nice selection you have there, definitely appealing to sell off the bulk and trim down to just a handful like that. Saves a lot of space too!

Thank you!  I learned that bigtime when it came to my Canseco collection.  The feeling of "having it all" was cool for sure, but man ... it is just a *LOT* to keep/store ... and a lot that I didn't fully care about.  With my new "collections" I found that I have just as much joy with keeping only what I'm white hot about, and it also allows me to dabble in other things!

On 3/4/2021 at 8:08 AM, Angel of Death said:

Those Transformers are :censored:ing sick!

Thanks brother!  I love them to death.  My wife understands the cards ... she gets the comic thing ... the transformers is what she doesn't get, haha. 

21 hours ago, The Man Without Beer said:

Damn...Wagner, Cobb & Ruth cards...don't even collect those but grails for many in that genre. Comics speak for themselves.

Thanks brother!  

20 hours ago, october said:

Great cards, the Goodwin Champions Anson and Kelly are on my card shortlist. Narrowly missed out on an Anson not long ago in an RE auction. Love the CJ Cobb and Jackson and the Groudey Ruth as well. If you ever want to trade cards for keys comics, PM me. I have extras of TOS 39, Hulk 1, ASM 1, AF 15, Avengers 4, etc.

Thanks brother!  I'll reach out just in case - I'm not sure I could get rid of any since cards are my first love, but doesn't hurt to explore!

20 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Very cool story and collection.

I'm in my thirties started collecting comics when I was 5 due to family members planting that seed. I stopped collecting for a few years around 12 years old but kept reading and as a teenager read most of everything Alan Moore wrote. That reignited the collecting bug in me. I didn't start getting obsessive about it again until I was probably 24. Then I started completing runs and collecting specific first appearances and keys.

I'm trying to trim my collection of over 20,000 books down and focus on the books that I can't get out of my head.... Namely HOS 92 ASM 129 and MS 5. Most of the other big targets have been aquired that are reasonable.... Those three have alway been slightly out of my reach in the grades I want but I'm in the market for mid grade copy of one of them right now.

Love the books, the hobby, and the people. Comics collecting has been a great joy for me through the years.

Man, I think that is a fantastic goal.  If there is one thing I've learned over the years - 20k cards is one thing ... 20k books is QUITE another!  Good luck on your quest!

18 hours ago, speedcake said:

I have ADD, like actually have it not "pretend to have it on twitter for likes" have it, and this story screams ADD to me. :insane:

super cool books, though. Good luck in whatever the next thing is that grabs your attention!

LOL!  I chase rabbit trails like crazy in articles I write.  Too much passion, not enough time/space to type!  :)

12 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Awesome books.  Glad you sold baseball cards instead of a jordan or tom Brady rookie card

Who are Jordan and Brady?  (HA!)  I actually sold a ton of 2nd year Brady stuffy a few months too early ... BLECH.  I have many horror stories of selling too soon, but that's part of the game, I guess!

4 minutes ago, mouschi said:

Man, I think that is a fantastic goal.  If there is one thing I've learned over the years - 20k cards is one thing ... 20k books is QUITE another!  Good luck on your quest!

Oh brother.... I mistyped :makepoint: it should have said 2,000 books.... I already have 2,000 books .... And it's a problem lol. I'm trying to get that number down :wink:(:. I want to move at some point and the 20 short boxes is a bear to move especially when you are as neurotic about condition as I am. I started by trying to complete a couple runs and then books kept coming.

Some of our peers have well over 20,000 books though some have separate warehouses for their books. 

1 minute ago, Lurker89 said:

Oh brother.... I mistyped :makepoint: it should have said 2,000 books.... I already have 2,000 books .... And it's a problem lol. I'm trying to get that number down :wink:(:. I want to move at some point and the 20 short boxes is a bear to move especially when you are as neurotic about condition as I am. I started by trying to complete a couple runs and then books kept coming.

Some of our peers have well over 20,000 books though some have separate warehouses for their books. 

Haha hey, 2,000 books is also nothing to sneeze at.  But yeah, I *think* I had about 30k books where someone literally hired an 18 wheeler to come down the street to pick them up and bring them back to his lair. 

Excellent collection. It seems to me that you underestimate yourself, because since you could afford X-men # 1 in 3.5 condition and many other expensive keys in good condition, then you will buy AF 15 someday. Take an example from me: I have a handful of low-grade keys, but I do not despair and hope to someday get AF 15, FF 1, ToS 39, JiM 83 and X-men # 1

3 minutes ago, rfhbv100 said:

Excellent collection. It seems to me that you underestimate yourself, because since you could afford X-men # 1 in 3.5 condition and many other expensive keys in good condition, then you will buy AF 15 someday. Take an example from me: I have a handful of low-grade keys, but I do not despair and hope to someday get AF 15, FF 1, ToS 39, JiM 83 and X-men # 1

Thank you!  The truth of the matter is that I've never spent more than 3900 on a book - and that was x-men #1.  If I wanted one now, well ... I don't think it would happen!  I really hope so though.  

54 minutes ago, mouschi said:

Thank you!  The truth of the matter is that I've never spent more than 3900 on a book - and that was x-men #1.  If I wanted one now, well ... I don't think it would happen!  I really hope so though.  

3900? this is the value of my entire collection:roflmao: