• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you trade a Af 15 for a Tmnt #1 first print l?
5 5

93 posts in this topic

If I had an AF 15 in a state of 0.5 restored, I would not even exchange it for a TMNT # 1 in a state of 9.8 (provided that I cannot resell it). For me, the most important factor is not the cost of the book, but its significance. And AF 15 is one of the most important and key books in comic history. It was in her that one of the most famous superheroes in the world appeared. And this is the book that changed the entire comic book industry. Perhaps the fact is that I am simply poor and I do not understand the logic of the rich and their desire for high grades.

5 hours ago, rfhbv100 said:

If I had an AF 15 in a state of 0.5 restored, I would not even exchange it for a TMNT # 1 in a state of 9.8 (provided that I cannot resell it). For me, the most important factor is not the cost of the book, but its significance. And AF 15 is one of the most important and key books in comic history. It was in her that one of the most famous superheroes in the world appeared. And this is the book that changed the entire comic book industry. Perhaps the fact is that I am simply poor and I do not understand the logic of the rich and their desire for high grades.

Rich and new collectors to the trade...comics can be fun, buy what you want in what grade you want. I agree with you 100%

Edited by Hollywood1892

12 hours ago, HotKey said:

A successful turtles reboot would make TMNT 1 skyrocket. There isn't a successful turtles movie franchise and yet the book remains solid.

There isn't? Go take a look at what the previous movies have grossed. You can argue that a reboot could be more successful your statement above is untrue.

As history shows... 

I was wrong.  I originally said I would not have done the trade when this was proposed years ago.  However, this turned out to be a smart trade.  But that was when Turtles was not as in demand as it is now.   Turtles is red hot in comparison to the growth it has experienced compared to the AF15.  

In 2021... I would hold on to the AF15. 

Edited by Buzzetta

15 hours ago, october said:

I have a VG range AF 15 and a VF/NM range TMNT 1 first print. The AF 15 would go first. Neither are THAT hard to replace, but a nice TMNT 1 is a lot tougher than a midgrade AF.

Looked at the census. 

Total copies of AF 15 in 4.0 or below (including restored): ~2200

TMNT first print entire print run: ~3000

Total copies of TMNT first print slabbed in 9.0 or better condition: ~400 

I'm not going to argue that TMNT is the more significant comic. It isn't...but I am roughly 5 times more able to find a slabbed mid/low grade AF 15 than I am a nice Turtles 1. Weirdly enough, I have owned four mid/low AF 15s, but just one nice TMNT one. Pretty close to the same ratio. 

I will be serious this time,when i began collecting ,one of my all time favourite character was and still is ghost rider,so i bought marvel spotlight 5 cgc with stan lee Roy Thomas and Gary friedrich sig.i paid a thousand for it,im not 100 percent sure of its value today but its probably 10000 to 15000 because of 3 sig on 9.2 i might be the only one to have such an item,all that to say im considering departing myself of this book for a amazing fantasy 15,what are your toughts on the matter do you think i should try? 

hulk_working_cropped_400x400.png

2 hours ago, Namtak said:

I will be serious this time,when i began collecting ,one of my all time favourite character was and still is ghost rider,so i bought marvel spotlight 5 cgc with stan lee Roy Thomas and Gary friedrich sig.i paid a thousand for it,im not 100 percent sure of its value today but its probably 10000 to 15000 because of 3 sig on 9.2 i might be the only one to have such an item,all that to say im considering departing myself of this book for a amazing fantasy 15,what are your toughts on the matter do you think i should try? 

hulk_working_cropped_400x400.png

Do you already own the complete ASM?

3 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Nope

In that case, I would keep the book that is special to you. I asked because I do have all the ASM but no AF15 yet, and it drives me crazy. I'm just biding my time, though. I'll find mine eventually.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:
9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You guys are weird. :kidaround:

Would you trade $25,000 for $40,000?

Most of you are saying "no" and you're absolutely sure of it. 

I'm thinking... :screwy:

Would you trade even value for even value?

I already did.  But the question that started this discussion is "would you trade an AF15 for TMNT #1 in CGC 9.6" and everyone is saying some form of "absolutely not" when a CGC 9.6 TMNT #1 is at least $40K and there are plenty, PLENTY of copies of AF #15 at $25,000 and below.

People wouldn't trade $25,000 for $40,000?  Really? (shrug)

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You guys are weird. :kidaround:

Would you trade $25,000 for $40,000?

Most of you are saying "no" and you're absolutely sure of it. 

I'm thinking... :screwy:

The topic says its not about cash stop thinking about cash!follow your heart not the wallet:flipbait:

2 minutes ago, Namtak said:

The topic says its not about cash stop thinking about cash!follow your heart not the wallet:flipbait:

But you can get a $40,000 TMNT #1, sell it for $40,000, buy an AF #15 for $25,000 and have $15,000 to spend on whatever else your heart desires.  Follow your brain so that your heart has more cash. :flipbait:

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

But you can get a $40,000 TMNT #1, sell it for $40,000, buy an AF #15 for $25,000 and have $15,000 to spend on whatever else your heart desires.  Follow your brain so that your heart has more cash. :flipbait:

Well your brain is wrong ,the topic stipulate that witchever book you choose you cant sell it

a3031cb67e3fc480ee37980853209b4b.jpg

il_570xN.1176803726_b3dk.jpg