• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Ebay Purchase

8 posts in this topic

Hello,  

I’m new to the hobby and stumbled upon what I think could be a very tricky scam tonight.

I purchased a no tattoo AS 238 on ebay at roughly a 9.0 grade at $250.  The seller had 11 pictures of everything but the back cover and claimed it near perfect shape.  I got the comic today in a flexible shipping envelope with absolutely no packing at all (no cardboard, just the comic inside the plastic and the normal white backer.  It was obviously damaged with 1 corner having a 1” bend.  ALSO, the back cover had a 1” tear on it not related to shipping, but clearly where the tattoo insert was ripped out.  I was pretty pissed, but the seller said they were surprised it was damaged and offered a full refund.

I noticed the pastic had a previous sale sticker on it “No Tattoo, $75.”  I got to wondering about wtf really is going on.  Did the seller buy a $75 comic that had with the tear, hide it on an ebay sale, insure it for the ebay sale, then ship it such that they knew it would be damaged?  Thus they put it on the claim and profit?

37 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Paying $250 for a no tattoo ASM 238 is definitely an odd purchase. 

I would have to agree.  Send it back for your refund, keep a record of everything...including communications.  Once the refund is completed, avoid the seller...IMO.  If anything goes wrong, I’m guessing feebay still sides with the buyer if you have to elevate things. (thumbsu