• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Press or Not to Press

21 posts in this topic

I gave about 40 comics to my LCS this week to press before I submit them to CGC; on all of these I saw some sort of flaw that may or may not be fixed.

I have another bunch that look pretty good to my eyes...however...I dread them coming back from CGC and getting a 9,6 or below.

Would you press a book that has no obvious flaws?  At least, none you could easily see?  As insurance.

Do you think CGC graders are so used to seeing pressed books that anything (almost anything) that isn't pressed won't score as high?

Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you can’t see the flaw, why on earth would you press it????

I've had otherwise flawless books pressed back when I was just a fresh green eyed guppy.  I really wanted the highest grade possible on some books so I had them pressed.  But that was 2 books.  Not 40.

22 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you can’t see the flaw, why on earth would you press it????

I don't know?   Because I'm not a professional grader and really don't know if that super-flat appearance after pressing is necessary for an otherwise (to my eyes) flawless book.  

16 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I've had otherwise flawless books pressed back when I was just a fresh green eyed guppy.  I really wanted the highest grade possible on some books so I had them pressed.  But that was 2 books.  Not 40.

Be it 2 or 40  books (I only pay $3 per book) a bump from a 9.6 to a 9.8 can be tremendous and I think it's worth the small investment...if it can conceivably help.

And even if it can't hurt I'd hate to see books come back 9.6 if they could get 9.8 if I only put in the little extra effort; at least with a press I conceivably TRIED. .  

Edited by Tafkap

2 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

Be it 2 or 40  books (I only pay $3 per book) a bump from a 9.6 to a 9.8 can be tremendous and I think it's worth the small investment...if it can conceivably help.

And even if it can't hurt I'd hate to see books come back 9.6 if they could get 9.8.  

Unfamiliar with pressing rates, but I thought they were $12.

To press or not to press, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune by disclosing,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubled boardies,
And by opposing, end their incessant griping:

Just now, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You get what you pay for.

Could be.  But other than sending them to CGC for pressing/cleaning and waiting adding another 3-4 months onto my order I don't know who I would go to.  I think my guy is good; I recently cracked the case on a 9.2 Star Wars #2 and had him press it and it came back 9.6.  

Just now, Tafkap said:
3 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You get what you pay for.

Could be.  But other than sending them to CGC for pressing/cleaning and waiting adding another 3-4 months onto my order I don't know who I would go to.  I think my guy is good; I recently cracked the case on a 9.2 Star Wars #2 and had him press it and it came back 9.6.

Throw a stick and you'll hit someone who presses.

3 hours ago, manetteska said:

If you only want -- or it's only worthwhile -- for the books to be graded as 9.8, send them pre-screen, no matter if you decide to have them pressed or not.

Good idea. 

On 3/8/2021 at 6:07 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Throw a stick and you'll hit someone who presses.

Within the last year or two, it's come to my attention that nearly every flea market dealer and several shop owners I know locally have started pressing. I already know that I don't trust them any farther than I could throw them, so there's no WAY I'm going to let them press my books. Good lord.

Edit to add somewhat amusing story: I know most of the local dealer, pickers and junk guys. I'd just sold a big batch of toys to a local junk guy (he mostly deals in signage, automobilia, oil cans, stuff like that, but he dabbles in other areas) and was telling him that I'd just found out that a mutual acquaintance had started a pressing service. I was explaining how I wouldn't trust this guy to press a pair of slacks, much less my books, and then started explaining all of the things that can happen to an improperly pressed book: the crushed spines, fanning, pebbling, etc. As I was talking, I noticed his face growing increasingly concerned, and then he suddenly told me he had to run, and left. It was then that I realized that he must have given this guy some books to press.

Edited by F For Fake