• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

True Believer: The Rise and Fall of Stan Lee
6 6

341 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kav said:

All of the SA Marvel books had the exact same punchy sarcastic writing style. To claim Stan wasnt the writer, we have to believe all the SA artists had the same exact writing style.  And that once they stopped working with Stan Lee, they completely changed their style of writing.
Regardless of who said what when, at some point you have to use logic.  Logic says all the books were written by the same guy, and he wasnt just embellishing the various artist's scripts-you cannot embellish Stephen King and make him John Grisham.  

Actually if the same guy is writing the same dialogue for both books they WILL sound the same. 

The story might be different but the dialogue will be the same.

Two different style of stories, told in the same voice. 

Makes it easier to claim he ‘wrote’ them both. 

12 minutes ago, kav said:

All of the SA Marvel books had the exact same punchy sarcastic writing style. To claim Stan wasnt the writer, we have to believe all the SA artists had the same exact writing style.  And that once they stopped working with Stan Lee, they completely changed their style of writing.
Regardless of who said what when, at some point you have to use logic.  Logic says all the books were written by the same guy, and he wasnt just embellishing the various artist's scripts-you cannot embellish Stephen King and make him John Grisham.  

(worship):golfclap: Nuff Said !! discussion over

There's no way say Kirby wrote FF and Kamandi-the difference in writing style is like that between john grisham and dr seuss.
Likewise ditko with spider man and mr A.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

So for the third time-who is the mystery man who actually wrote all of the SA Marvel titles?

It depends on when and what title. No one wrote ALL of them. 

Stan wrote his dialogue to most all of them, though he had his brother do many of the non-Kirby/Ditko books in the early days and others dialogues later on in the decade. 

14 minutes ago, Prince Namor said:

Actually if the same guy is writing the same dialogue for both books they WILL sound the same. 

The story might be different but the dialogue will be the same.

Two different style of stories, told in the same voice. 

So who is the guy that wrote both of em and what both of em are you talking about?

17 minutes ago, kav said:

So for the third time-who is the mystery man who actually wrote all of the SA Marvel titles?

3 minutes ago, kav said:

So who is the guy that wrote both of em and what both of em are you talking about?

Richard Bachman... 

13 minutes ago, kav said:

There's no way say Kirby wrote FF and Kamandi-the difference in writing style is like that between john grisham and dr seuss.

That’s your opinion. But for those who’ve studied it and read it all multiple times - the similarities are all there. Kirby’s creativity is amazing. 

When Kirby finished FF #55, and realized he was not going to get treated the way he wanted at Marvel - he pulled back his ideas - and it’s very noticeable in his last 3-4 years on the FF and Thor. Lee couldn’t change that. That part of the run had its moments, but it’s very clear Kirby was holding back. 

When he got to DC he unloaded all of that and probably created 100 characters in 2 years for them. To me, I love the New Gods. I love Omac. I love Kamandi. I love Mr. A. (Though it gets a bit monotonous).

Then again I didn’t learn to read comics from Stan Lee books. I learned from the Curtis Magazines and Heavy Metal. I didn’t need wise guy dialogue and ‘This is the greatest story ever!’ blurbs to make me recognize what kind of sequential art I appreciated. 

It’s what made it so easy for me to grow into Love and Rockets, and Nexus and Dreadstar and independent comics - and eventually even more independent comics than that. 

I’m a huge Charles Burns fan and I have no idea half the time what the hell the story is trying to say. As Charles told me personally, “It’s not.”

I enjoy it for the moment. I enjoy it for the creativity. I enjoy it for the art. Others can have that silly dialogue. 

Maybe its just because I read a lot of books.  Different writing styles are as clear as different art styles to me.

16 minutes ago, kav said:

As different as The Big Lebowski and No Country For Old Men?

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

As different as The Big Lebowski and No Country For Old Men?

Those are 100% the exact same writing style.

9 minutes ago, Prince Namor said:

I’m a huge Charles Burns fan

If you give me some Burns art I will retract all my statements.  

Spend an afternoon reading this blog - it shows you what Kirby wrote in the margins and what Stan eventually wrote for the comic. It’s interesting the differences in how they choose to see things. Not saying either is better - it’s a preference for most. Stan did not seem to see Sue as anything more than a damsel in distress for instance - but it’s very interesting reading. 

https://kirbywithoutwords.tumblr.com

6 minutes ago, Prince Namor said:

meeting him. 

In this case I retract all my statements.