• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bulk order newbie question

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to understand how a bulk order submission works. I have 50 or so cards that I want to send in for grading but see the max value can be $100. So say I have some base set pokemon cards that I want to send in. Would I not be allowed to send them under a bulk submission? Say I want to grade my shiny vmax zard that is selling for around $400 right now, would I not be able to send that under bulk either? What happens if CGC determines a card that I send in is over $100 in value? Do they upgrade you to the next tier? Say I send in $50 cards and they decide to move one up a tier. Would my other 49 cards be charged the economy rate since there is no longer 50 bulk cards? Sorry for all the questions but I do not want any surprises. 

1 hour ago, panther2 said:

I am trying to understand how a bulk order submission works. I have 50 or so cards that I want to send in for grading but see the max value can be $100. So say I have some base set pokemon cards that I want to send in. Would I not be allowed to send them under a bulk submission? Say I want to grade my shiny vmax zard that is selling for around $400 right now, would I not be able to send that under bulk either? What happens if CGC determines a card that I send in is over $100 in value? Do they upgrade you to the next tier? Say I send in $50 cards and they decide to move one up a tier. Would my other 49 cards be charged the economy rate since there is no longer 50 bulk cards? Sorry for all the questions but I do not want any surprises. 

Call the customer service number on their website. They always answer the phone and can give specific guidance for all of these questions. There are several threads here where many of these questions have been answered by the admin.

I think they bump up the tier and charge the difference. It has something to do with insurance and properly insuring cards. Imagine you send a Vmax Zard in and it gets lost/damaged at some point in the grading or return process. Would you rather pay the $9 bulk tier and get only $100 back, or pay $18 and get the full value of the card returned?

18 hours ago, panther2 said:

You need 50 cards submitted, PERIOD, to get bulk price on any of the cards you are submitting. But that can mix/match tiers.

If you did 49 cards under 100 in raw value and 1 Zard worth 400, by the letter of their policy you should submit the 49 as bulk tier and the 1 Zard as..I guess Economy. You'll pay the additional grading fee for the Zard. You'll also end up splitting your order into two parts, essentially, triggering one new 5 dollar fee of the additional grading tier. It'll also result in having two shipments, which means you'll pay more for shipping. 

If you sneak the Zard in on as bulk with a 100 dollar value, they can choose to bump your card up to Economy, anyway. It'll slow the whole order down, but might not trigger the extra fee or shipping. Honestly might be cheaper to risk that on one card.