• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 4
2 2

39 posts in this topic

This one….now this is a different story.  I am a bit disappointed here.  I bought this about 20 years ago, so whatever I get for it down the road I am sure I would be happy.  However, this is coming back as restored.  The grade is higher than I thought:

7.5 OW/W….but….the 4th wrap is married.  

Guess that is better to know now than down the road.  I take it the value will be completely hammered here.  Such a nice looking copy though!!

crease bottom of back cover
crease right top of front cover breaks color
married 4th wrap
tear top of spine

On 9/9/2021 at 7:02 PM, Point Five said:

So weird. Why and how would someone marry the 4th wrap? Great-looking book all the same.

Thanks…kind of wish I remembered who I bought it off of, but it was more than 20 years ago.  Likely an ebay purchase…at least I didn’t pay todays prices and find this out.  Maybe there was a cut out on that page?  Still would require a lot of work with a second copy that you would be willing to pull apart as well.  Too bad I can’t see the pages now…how would they determine this?  Different page tones?  Would there be evidence on the staples and the staple holes?  Oh well, as you said, still a nice looking copy.  I hope having the BLOD won’t make this a difficult sell down the road.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:54 PM, habsfan1 said:

Thanks…kind of wish I remembered who I bought it off of, but it was more than 20 years ago.  Likely an ebay purchase…at least I didn’t pay todays prices and find this out.  Maybe there was a cut out on that page?  Still would require a lot of work with a second copy that you would be willing to pull apart as well.  Too bad I can’t see the pages now…how would they determine this?  Different page tones?  Would there be evidence on the staples and the staple holes?  Oh well, as you said, still a nice looking copy.  I hope having the BLOD won’t make this a difficult sell down the road.

Seems like an odd and certainly unexpected determination. I suppose CGC saw differences in page quality and aging, etc; something with alignment or the staples 

With books of this age there's a long history we can imagine. It's fun to do. But the hands this copy could have passed through and the intentions and capabilities of the different owners are beyond our ability to guess and comprehend.

Or the resto determination could be a mistake. 

It's a great book. By any measure or grade or classification. Some aren't "perfect" but they're survivors and they're extraordinary.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:20 PM, Burgy13 said:

For this age of book it is great shape. If it was mine l would be sending off but l understand the fear of it coming back damaged. Felt that way when my son took my car after getting his license. Fingers crossed and l would say 7.0

You were close!  But read above how it came back restored 

On 9/10/2021 at 3:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

And have an incomplete book...?

Not if he can find the same page the book was originally manufactured with!  I wonder if he was able to find it and had someone remove the married page and replace it with the original page if it would still be considered "married". hm

On 9/12/2021 at 8:32 PM, James J Johnson said:

Not if he can find the same page the book was originally manufactured with!  I wonder if he was able to find it and had someone remove the married page and replace it with the original page if it would still be considered "married". hm

:makepoint:

On 9/13/2021 at 3:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

:makepoint:

Sounds ridiculous on the surface, right? But the whole idea of a married page from a donor book as being restored or tainted in some manner (whatever is the prevailing rationale behind that) would be negated if the page was deemed original to the rest of the book, one might think. 

For instance, say you submitted a book and didn't notice that a centerfold was missing. The book is then graded as incomplete. So you buy a low grade of the same book with nice pages, send both to someone who marries the cf from the donor copy, or if adept at that sort of thing, DIY. You resub it, and get back a green label book, but now at least it's going to be graded like a complete copy would, with a number reflecting the appearance rather than an automatic 0.5, even if the book looks 9.4 quality oterwise. 

Six months later, you find the original centerfold in a drawer that is the one your book was manufactured with. Now you reverse engineer if DIY, or have it reverse engineered, the replacement centerfold removed and replaced with what was the original page the book was  manufactured with. It's no longer a replacement page from a donor copy, it is now the original, as issued page. 

Consider that with the original centerfold replaced by the original, no extra set of staple holes will appear at the centerfold. That's evident on the donated centerfold only since the original has been in a drawer up until now.

You resub. Now what? Does it return with a blue, green, or purple label? Good question, huh?