• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just had a disturbing thought
1 1

48 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Bookery said:

This is not the same thing though.  The book did indeed sell for $3600.  What you received personally from the sale is not relevant.  The mistake here is that consignors sometimes believe the auction fees are 20%, but in reality are really 33% (the way the math works out), because both buyer and seller are being charged 20% (usually).  But bidders know this, and bid accordingly (I always do).  If I'm willing to go $1200 on a book, I bid $1000 knowing that $1200 will be the end-price.  The seller receives $800.  Sotheby's and Christie's work similarly.  I wish all auction houses worked like Hershenson's (the commission is charged only to the seller) as it makes things easier when bidding... but the big international auction houses use this as a marketing mechanism, as I guess the assumption is that sellers don't like to be told they are actually getting only 67% of the retail sale.

yes, and factor in sales tax it get's worse, but I'm not talking about, and neither is the OP the individual metrics of P&L but the market perception of value being manipulated that obscure the BP etc that goes into that price. You flip a book 3x through an auction house, 60%+ of the perceived FMV was entirely the BP.  When the market is driven by auction sales, the FMV perception accelerates much more steeply. 

8 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

Chuck doesn't need me to white knight for him but he prices for the long term future. The world population will likely increase, and the available comic books can only decrease.

IF you accept his premise that people will always love comic books, you can see why owning ALL the comix books :wink: and pricing them accordingly makes internal sense.

Chuck definitely suffers from some type of hoarding disorder, in the sense where his perception of value differs from the population. 

12 hours ago, the blob said:

1st squirrel girl has been expensive for a while. her comic series got a lot of good reviews (fanboys being who they are probably didn't buy it), in particular, outside of comicdom, the series lasted 50 issues, and they like to use her on the disney cartoons, and the TPBs sold well. Don't knock the squirrel.

I think I love Squirrel Girl and am going to seek out her stuff.She was in some kids of Wolverine and some other timeline old man Logan storyline and anyways,she was fun.Babysits for Luke and Jessica no?

12 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

Chuck doesn't need me to white knight for him but he prices for the long term future. The world population will likely increase, and the available comic books can only decrease.

IF you accept his premise that people will always love comic books, you can see why owning ALL the comix books :wink: and pricing them accordingly makes internal sense.

he is pricing them for future runaway 10,000% inflation

40 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I think I love Squirrel Girl and am going to seek out her stuff.She was in some kids of Wolverine and some other timeline old man Logan storyline and anyways,she was fun.Babysits for Luke and Jessica no?

So sorry pal but Squirrel Girl has already professed her undying love for yours truly, so you're s.o.l. 

5 hours ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

yes, and factor in sales tax it get's worse, but I'm not talking about, and neither is the OP the individual metrics of P&L but the market perception of value being manipulated that obscure the BP etc that goes into that price. You flip a book 3x through an auction house, 60%+ of the perceived FMV was entirely the BP.  When the market is driven by auction sales, the FMV perception accelerates much more steeply. 

Pretty sure Book's point is one's an example of fraud and the other isn't.

3 minutes ago, grebal said:

So sorry pal but Squirrel Girl has already professed her undying love for yours truly, so you're s.o.l. 

Pretty sure Book's point is one's an example of fraud and the other isn't.

lol and :frown:

I'm married but not dead-I can still look/read and daydream!

I really think she's a fun character,always have.

1 hour ago, the blob said:
13 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

he is pricing them for future runaway 10,000% inflation

He's doing something right.

1.thumb.jpg.ae64f4eed70bec2461362b6e1da1081b.jpg