• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Artists Fix Mistakes of Jack Kirby, Joe Simon for $6.99.......

38 posts in this topic

Just now, thehumantorch said:

Do we really want to forget about what happened during WW2?  The Germans were our enemies and truly committed incredible acts of evil and artists visualization of them should never be erased.

you said it better than my "silly"

Just now, Bird said:

you said it better than my "silly"

There have been many wars and you always paint the enemy as evil but can we have any doubt that rounding up millions of citizens in your country and killing them as efficiently as possible and harvesting their teeth and valuables is beyond belief and truly evil.  Least we forget.

Just now, thehumantorch said:

There have been many wars and you always paint the enemy as evil but can we have any doubt that rounding up millions of citizens in your country and killing them as efficiently as possible and harvesting their teeth and valuables is beyond belief and truly evil.  Least we forget.

I visited Auschwitz 3 years ago.

Unimaginable. 

You can see all the photos and docs in the world and it doesn't convey the sadness and horror of the place.

The Germans don't print that stuff because they know the power of it and are vigilant. We don't play the game like that here in America. 

I just don't know what to say except it saddens me. Show him for who he is, and yes, the stache and the armband are how this guy is identified to this point in history. People who wear that armband/symbol are the bad guys and that is why Cap is fighting him. It is a symbol for tyranny and oppression and that should never be erased, it should be friggin' highlighted. The exact reason I would destroy the Hansi comic is why this should remain untouched.

3 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Do we really want to forget about what happened during WW2?  The Germans were our enemies and truly committed incredible acts of evil and artists visualization of them should never be erased.

This is incorrect - the NAZIS were our enemies.  There were plenty of Germans that did not like the Nazi party but of course saying so was very unwise.

11 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Least we forget.

Indeed.

Bodies%20Mass%20Graves.jpg

This is an all ages Board, so I picked a 'less gross' one to remind.

Being a quarter Pole and a quarter Slav myself...zero tolerance for woke-cancel-cowpuckey.

There are absolute truths, people can debate "who" did what and "why" (that is freedom of speech, even if misguided, ill-intended, or just ignorant), we can and should always have open-minded conversations like that -along with being aware of cuo buono and that the history books are written by the winners- but that result above cannot be justified...or memory-holed. No picture = no conversation = no lessons learned = doomed to repeat.

Not while I'm alive.

8 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

There were plenty of Germans that did not like the Nazi party but of course saying so was very unwise.

Unfortunately...retribution for 'unwise' is wielded just as mightily this century.

Bill Maher Names Which Democratic Hopefuls He'd Eliminate ...

Silly. Let's give credit to our sources ;) 

On 3/15/2021 at 8:26 PM, Bird said:

The exact reason I would destroy the Hansi comic is why this should remain untouched.

I just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand you, are you saying the Hansi comic shouldn't be allowed to be sold, but the original Cap 1 should?

42 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand you, are you saying the Hansi comic shouldn't be allowed to be sold, but the original Cap 1 should?

No. I am saying I would not sell or own the Hansi comic. But yes, I am saying the context of the imagery matters.

16 minutes ago, Bird said:

No. I am saying I would not sell or own the Hansi comic. But yes, I am saying the context of the imagery matters.

That's an interesting perspective, not one I can say I understand. The story of Maria Anne Hirschmann is more relevant today than it's ever been. It's message as simple as it might be, is how people became seduced and influenced by Nazism, and the dangers of history repeating itself if we don't recognize it's lies. To witness the global wave of populism, and how it took root in the US the last four years should be just as much a reason for the story and context of the message of Hansi to be known as the imagery of fighting it through punches and violence. If anything, it's worked against us badly to perpetuate this notion that violence is the answer to eradicate it - all it does it embolden it, and make it more aggressive and determined.

Edited by comicwiz

4 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

That's an interesting perspective, not one I can say I understand. The story of Maria Anne Hirschmann is more relevant today than it's ever been. It's message as simple as it might be, is how people became seduced and influenced by Nazism, and the dangers of history repeating itself if we don't recognize it's lies. To witness the global wave of populism, and how it took root in the US the last four years should be just as much a reason for the story and context of the message of Hansi to be known as an imagery of fighting it through punches and violence. If anything, it's worked against us badly to perpetuate this notion that violence is the answer to eradicate it - all it does it embolden it, and make it more aggressive and determined.

I understand she comes around in the end but I think the power of the cover imagery overwhelms the message.

I agree her story could be utilized well today. I would change the cover and the title though.

Maybe I am being inconsistent, but it happens. Thanks for trying to explain a counter position. 

Edited by Bird

21 hours ago, comicwiz said:

That's an interesting perspective, not one I can say I understand. The story of Maria Anne Hirschmann is more relevant today than it's ever been. It's message as simple as it might be, is how people became seduced and influenced by Nazism, and the dangers of history repeating itself if we don't recognize it's lies. To witness the global wave of populism, and how it took root in the US the last four years should be just as much a reason for the story and context of the message of Hansi to be known as the imagery of fighting it through punches and violence. If anything, it's worked against us badly to perpetuate this notion that violence is the answer to eradicate it - all it does it embolden it, and make it more aggressive and determined.

Can’t say I know the book, but history, I do know. Nazism took root in Germany after the treaty ending World War I resulted in its impoverishment through the payment of reparations, loss of territory, and worse, the humiliation of its people. In a sense, Nazism started as an extreme form of populism because the people felt they had no power through the political system to reclaim both their finances and dignity. FDR stopped it from growing in this country with the New Deal (ever hear of Father Coughlin?). Radicalism and extremism are the products of any political system in which the masses do not think they can get a fair shake. The next step is violence. No, populism did not start here 4 years ago. In various forms and degrees it has always been here (although not named as such until the late 19th century). The violence, on both sides of the political spectrum, is the result of the same sort of helplessness as in post-War Germany, but thankfully, to a much lower degree.