• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do CGC slabs protect against UV light?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I want to display all my baller CGC ex holos in a display case on the wall (early EX era, I’m an elitist yes) but I recently learned of UV light and how bad it is for trading cards (someone tell Collectibles Guru all his cards bake in the sun for his pics lol).

Anyway, do CGC cases protect against the TCG kryptonite known as UV light? If they do not, does anyone have a good recommendation for a wall display case that does protect against UV light? I don’t want to have to keep my babies locked away in darkness forever.... what kind of existence is that? 

You don't need the slab to have UV protection, make your display cases to be UV protected, then you can put anything in it.  All my display cases at home are UV protected. 

Black one is from Ikea, just replace the glass door with acrylic plastic with UV protection, white one is custom built-in with UV protected acrylic doors as well.

20170128_140534.thumb.jpg.4a5118208468e5c4dae5e36b006fec4e.jpgIMG_4575.thumb.JPG.725ce4d801c0bb6fb35ec7303462c8f7.JPG

Edited by SilentMonkee

26 minutes ago, SilentMonkee said:

You don't need the slab to have UV protection, make your display cases to be UV protected, then you can put anything in it.  All my display cases at home are UV protected. 

Black one is from Ikea, just replace the glass door with acrylic plastic with UV protection, white one is custom built-in with UV protected acrylic doors as well.

20170128_140534.thumb.jpg.4a5118208468e5c4dae5e36b006fec4e.jpgIMG_4575.thumb.JPG.725ce4d801c0bb6fb35ec7303462c8f7.JPG

Wow this is sick man. Well done!

Question.... are the lights on the inside of the display case(s)? 

7 minutes ago, SilentMonkee said:

The lights on the inside of your cabinets could be a problem if you leave them on much.

Years ago a comic store had keys including Fantastic Four 1, Amazing Fantasy 15 etc in a glass cabinet with a bright light at the top.  Over time they lost colour and faded badly.

Edited by thehumantorch

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

The lights on the inside of your cabinets could be a problem if you leave them on much.

Years ago a comic store had keys including Fantastic Four 1, Amazing Fantasy 15 etc in a glass cabinet with a bright light at the top.  Over time they lost colour and faded badly.

Depends on the kind of light they used.  I did my research with LED light, I am comfortable with it.  The one in my office haven't been turned off in 7 years except for power outage.  I don't see any issue.  But I am looking at statues, comic might be different.

2 minutes ago, SilentMonkee said:

Depends on the kind of light they used.  I did my research with LED light, I am comfortable with it.  The one in my office haven't been turned off in 7 years except for power outage.  I don't see any issue.  But I am looking at statues, comic might be different.

lol it was so long ago LED lights didn't even exist

17 hours ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

They dont protect against UV rays but I heard they are good against 5G radiation and global warming. There is a study going on if they are good against corona but nothing has been confirmed.

They also protect from gonasyphaherpalaids.