• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Sad (But Fun) Attempt to Sell Comics Out of the Overstreet Price Update

39 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

yup. i have a lot of those anne rice comics, fished out of dollar boxes. the lestat series all had $15-$20 price tags on them. But dead now and they're not going to remake that movie, it was already practically perfectly done. when i bought them in the early 2000s they were still worth something, but i never got around to selling them. oh well. maybe there will be an anne rice comeback, but i doubt it. there hasn't been much buzz about her recent vampire books. i guess i'll have to file those away with my true blood comics.

I bought a small collection a couple of months ago that had some of the Anne Rice stuff in it, and initially thought "Huh, these used to be worth something!" Quickly found out that they weren't even worth selling now. Gave them to my wife, who after opening them said "Ewww, no." And I assume she tossed 'em. The Circle of Life!

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I bought a small collection a couple of months ago that had some of the Anne Rice stuff in it, and initially thought "Huh, these used to be worth something!" Quickly found out that they weren't even worth selling now. Gave them to my wife, who after opening them said "Ewww, no." And I assume she tossed 'em. The Circle of Life!

the complete run of lestat 1-12 sometimes sells ok, but that is a PITA. yeah, i was religiously pulling these out of the dollar box in 2004 or 2005, whenever I was seeing them, thinking for sure these would bounce back. 

1 minute ago, toro said:

They moved pretty well on Heritage last night. 

those buyers must be hiding somewhere. Even on Ebay, this week there were 2-3 ASM newsstand 9.4 (though only 1 or 2 of them had white pages) and they were all cheaper than the gavel price. 

i'm going to post the Sgt Fury stuff for sale here - they are in exceptional condition and not as worthless as I'm moaning about. Nice bunch of books.

1 hour ago, adampasz said:

Thanks for sharing. This is neat to read about. I always wondered about those sorts of ads from back in the day. I'm sure it was a ton of work to put all that together.

Thanks. It was a lot of work, but mostly I remember how fun it was.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I remember those little typed Buyer’s Guide ads fondly. All those checks and money orders floating as well as the occasional cash really helped me find my own collection. My mom was no fan of those 4:00 in the morning phone call though. :roflmao:

Notice how I didn't include a phone number in the ad. I didn't want those 4:00 am calls, but probably not the best for business. lol

4 hours ago, amatta said:

those buyers must be hiding somewhere. Even on Ebay, this week there were 2-3 ASM newsstand 9.4 (though only 1 or 2 of them had white pages) and they were all cheaper than the gavel price. 

i'm going to post the Sgt Fury stuff for sale here - they are in exceptional condition and not as worthless as I'm moaning about. Nice bunch of books.

high grade will sell. the mid grade later issues, not so much. at least some of the early issues have some relevant 1st apps

2 hours ago, WernerVonDoom said:

Notice how I didn't include a phone number in the ad. I didn't want those 4:00 am calls, but probably not the best for business. lol

I quickly learned that. One thing about being a West Coast collector was calling the day I got it only to find everything sold. I think I eventually put a day and time limit as to when I would sell books. I would figure how long it took to get to the West Coast and picked a civilized time to accept phone orders. This gave everyone a chance and didn't pizz off my family. If you called before then, I either wouldn't take your order or hang up. I'm sure I lost some early buisness but probably more than made up for it by letting everyone have a fighting chance.

And just imagine, no photos or instant gratification. Somehow we got by fine...

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I quickly learned that. One thing about being a West Coast collector was calling the day I got it only to find everything sold. I think I eventually put a day and time limit as to when I would sell books. I would figure how long it took to get to the West Coast and picked a civilized time to accept phone orders. This gave everyone a chance and didn't pizz off my family. If you called before then, I either wouldn't take your order or hang up. I'm sure I lost some early buisness but probably more than made up for it by letting everyone have a fighting chance.

And just imagine, no photos or instant gratification. Somehow we got by fine...

That's really cool of you. I wish all mail order places had done that.

When I set up at a show, I put up my rack, organize my boxes but don’t open up until they open the doors to the public. I then take the kids off boxes and put up my prearranged Wall books. I get some whining from dealers and those who sneak in early but they all come back when I’m open. 

As a buyer, it always suks to know the deals are all gone by the time I get in. 

I ordered off of many ads both on Overstreet and the CBG, but I know I wouldn't have order from yours.  Not because of prices, but I am on the East Coast.  If the seller didn't put in a phone number I wouldn't order because most times my order would arrive and all that would be left is one book and I hated to pay shipping for the one book.

I did have a phone number but hated getting calls in 4 in the morning. As a buyer, I also always hated getting beat out all the time by East Coast buyers while waiting for the CGB to slowly make it’s crawl to CA. So I instituted a policy where by no one could order until everyone got their paper. I put a date and time to take phone orders. did it pizz off some buyers? Probably but I just wanted to make it a little more fair and keep people from waking up my mom and thusly make my life tough. Good books always sell...

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I remember those little typed Buyer’s Guide ads fondly. All those checks and money orders floating as well as the occasional cash really helped me find my own collection. My mom was no fan of those 4:00 in the morning phone call though. :roflmao:

Yeah, you learned to specify what time to call in EST.  

3 hours ago, Morganmi said:

Ha that's awesome! I just saw that issue of OPG update you posted In a box of a bunch of other comic related things. Since I still have it can I order the Avengers 57 for $16.00  please.:banana::roflmao:

20210323_214154.jpg

20210323_214349.jpg

That's awesome!! Oh man, I would have sold you that book, but it was one of the few that was actually sold back then.

8 hours ago, WernerVonDoom said:

That's awesome!! Oh man, I would have sold you that book, but it was one of the few that was actually sold back then.

If only I was smart enough to have ordered one back in 91 instead of just buying the next round at the bar. doh!lol