• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I wait on Amazing Spider-Man 300
2 2

216 posts in this topic

Im in the same boat as OP.  I only started seriously collecting a couple years ago. Ive wanted and wanted ASM300 for a long time and decided against getting it in 2018 for $200-300 as I didnt have as much income and I figured that $ would be better spent starting my collection with multiple other books.  Now my income has increased dramatically and I have a good foundation for my collection.

I feel like these prices cannot be sustained just because of how common it is, but I was wondering.....

How often has this book substantially lost value prior to 2018? I assume this is not the first time its skyrocketed? Wondering what it looked like last time it came down...  If it even did.

Edited by Mirkinator

13 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Yeah but that's still just speculation. But I suppose sale and collection numbers are all we really have.

I still have yet to come across clear evidence that newsstands are "rare"

Harder to find in high grade? That is a more valid statement 

That was the comparison in the article.  The numbers for higher grades are 100:1

6 minutes ago, Mike_1 said:

Both if I’m being honest with myself.  Like I said, fav character if I had to pick one and I like the first appearance.  I wouldn’t call it a feeling.  I tend to want the best within reason from the get go of whatever I am doing.  Good quality products will serve you better over time.  It also bothers me when stuff isn’t taken care of.  If I get something where the wear is obvious, it would bother me.  I appreciate the value.

Put it this way, if 9.8s were only worth $50, I’d be just as excited to get it.

All 9.0+ are taken extremely good care of, so if you want a 9.8 for "value", then I would say that it's definitely a feeling.

1 minute ago, Mike_1 said:

That was the comparison in the article.  The numbers for higher grades are 100:1

Nothing to do with rarity. Harder to get high grades, yes

20 minutes ago, Mike_1 said:
1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

Do you actually just want one? Or feel like you need one that's valuable?

Both if I’m being honest with myself.  Like I said, fav character if I had to pick one and I like the first appearance.  I wouldn’t call it a feeling.  I tend to want the best within reason from the get go of whatever I am doing.  Good quality products will serve you better over time.  It also bothers me when stuff isn’t taken care of.  If I get something where the wear is obvious, it would bother me.  I appreciate the value.

Put it this way, if 9.8s were only worth $50, I’d be just as excited to get it.

I assume the reason he's asking is that if you are just interested in it for collecting purposes the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 are negligible.  If you are interested in it for investment purposes they are of the utmost importance.  As I have no interest in investing in comics the difference is not one I want or need to pay for.

6 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

All 9.0+ are taken extremely good care of, so if you want a 9.8 for "value", then I would say that it's definitely a feeling.

Value can be a purely logical metric for commerce.  If the 9.8 is rarer, it makes sense the value would be higher on top of the fact the condition must broadly considered a value added feature regardless of rarity because I can’t think of comic that’s worth more solely because it’s damaged.

Personally, quality in itself is important and I’m analytical and detail oriented so the small stuff stands out. 

From a business standpoint, even if I buy something based on my interest, I’d still like it to appreciate in value. 

25 minutes ago, Mike_1 said:

Value can be a purely logical metric for commerce.  If the 9.8 is rarer, it makes sense the value would be higher on top of the fact the condition must broadly considered a value added feature regardless of rarity because I can’t think of comic that’s worth more solely because it’s damaged.

Personally, quality in itself is important and I’m analytical and detail oriented so the small stuff stands out. 

From a business standpoint, even if I buy something based on my interest, I’d still like it to appreciate in value.

So you feel that you need it for "business" purposes, which would have nothing to do with wanting it for sentimental reasons. Correct?

1 hour ago, Mike_1 said:
3 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

Love to see the numbers that support newsstands are more "rare"

I found an article analyzing the numbers based on eBay occurrences I think by May 2020.  Numbers may have changed since then. Presumably, if these didn’t sell in stores they would be shipped back to suppliers for disposal.

http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2020/amazing-spider-man-300/

classic FOMO. the market is so hot, everyones talking about it, tons of new money coming in...

no one here knows what will happen. prices have never shot up at this rate before. a dip will come eventually, but no one knows when or how big. the best thing i ever read on these boards was "buy low, sell high." 

Just now, Dr. Dank said:
3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

So are newsstands "rare" or just more difficult in higher grades?

Outside of a few comics from the 1930s, nothing is truly "rare".  So, it's probably best to throw out the word altogether.

Higher grades of ASM #300 newsstand... 9.6, 9.8, simply aren't available as often, after years of watching for them on eBay.

Maybe someone is sitting on a mountain of newsstand copies somewhere, but if they are... it isn't obvious from the available copies.

It has been 32 years since the book came out, and CGC has been grading for 20 years.

We ought to know some things fairly well by now.

CGC 9.8 ASM #300 isn't available in newsstand nearly as often as direct edition.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

5 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

I'm guessing your too young to know what comics on the comic rack looked like back in those days.

I bought asm 300 cgc 9.2 at 150$ 11 years ago,9.8 was 300or so maybe more,i dont regret it.and never will,i had other titles in mind,depends on your goal.talk to your lcs,new comics every week is not 9.8 some are 8.5to 9.2 or up.so for a asm 300 9.2 and up is quite alright in my book.it copper age not silver  it might drop later.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Outside of a few comics from the 1930s, nothing is truly "rare".  So, it's probably best to throw out the word altogether.

Higher grades of ASM #300 newsstand... 9.6, 9.8, simply aren't available as often, after years of watching for them on eBay.

Maybe someone is sitting on a mountain of newsstand copies somewhere, but if they are... it isn't obvious from the available copies.

It has been 32 years since the book came out, and CGC has been grading for 20 years.

We ought to know some things fairly well by now.

CGC 9.8 ASM #300 isn't available in newsstand nearly as often as direct edition.

I agree, but without a print run and sale record, we won't know.

It's improbable a bunch of people or a few people are sitting on a hoard of mint newsstands, given the production flaws.

Would be nice to know how many may have been returned and destroyed though

Just now, mysterymachine said:

I'm guessing your too young to know what comics on the comic rack looked like back in those days.

Yup no carted sleeve, just raw and already read a few times lol,Lucky to pull a 9.2 lol

1 minute ago, mysterymachine said:

Then you know the answer to your question. :foryou:

You know I do 

They are more difficult to get in high grade and not rare