• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I wait on Amazing Spider-Man 300
2 2

216 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:
33 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Outside of a few comics from the 1930s, nothing is truly "rare".  So, it's probably best to throw out the word altogether.

Higher grades of ASM #300 newsstand... 9.6, 9.8, simply aren't available as often, after years of watching for them on eBay.

Maybe someone is sitting on a mountain of newsstand copies somewhere, but if they are... it isn't obvious from the available copies.

It has been 32 years since the book came out, and CGC has been grading for 20 years.

We ought to know some things fairly well by now.

CGC 9.8 ASM #300 isn't available in newsstand nearly as often as direct edition.

I agree, but without a print run and sale record, we won't know.

It's improbable a bunch of people or a few people are sitting on a hoard of mint newsstands, given the production flaws.

Would be nice to know how many may have been returned and destroyed though

Even a print run wouldn't tell you how many Moms threw out their kids' comics.

We'll never have all the data to know exactly how many copies of each exist, but GPAnalysis.com records most of the sales of CGC copies.

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 105 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 direct edition and 3 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand (Universal and Signature Series)

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 336 copies of CGC 9.6 ASM #300 direct edition and 18 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand (Universal and Signature Series)

If people aren't convinced, they probably didn't make high grades in math class.

Edited by valiantman
correction: 336 was CGC 9.6

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Even a print run wouldn't tell you how many Moms threw out their kids' comics.

We'll never have all the data to know exactly how many copies of each exist, but GPAnalysis.com records most of the sales of CGC copies.

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 105 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 direct edition and 3 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand (Universal and Signature Series)

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 336 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 direct edition and 18 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand Universal and Signature Series)

If people aren't convinced, they probably did bad in math class.

They are difficult for high grades absolutely. 

I won't go around saying newsstands are rare.

Check the data on Alien vol 1 #1 and #2

9.8s are very difficult for #1, but there are way less 9.8 #2.

Are #2s more rare than #1?

Print run will tell you

Just now, Dr. Dank said:

They are difficult for high grades absolutely. 

I won't go around saying newsstands are rare.

Check the data on Alien vol 1 #1 and #2

9.8s are very difficult for #1, but there are way less 9.8 #2.

Are #2s more rare than #1?

Print run will tell you

Why are you using the word "rare"?  

Unless you mean the comic is undercooked, you should pick a different word.

57 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

So you feel that you need it for "business" purposes, which would have nothing to do with wanting it for sentimental reasons. Correct?

I want it for sentimental but I don’t want to pay more than what it is or will be worth.  Ideally the less I pay relative to future value the better.

Will what I pay affect how I feel about the purchase? - Yes

How I feel about the book? - No

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Because OP said they are rare

Just now, Dr. Dank said:
2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Because OP said they are rare

OK, but I didn't... and you keep quoting me.

6 minutes ago, Mike_1 said:

I want it for sentimental but I don’t want to pay more than what it is or will be worth.  Ideally the less I pay relative to future value the better.

Will what I pay affect how I feel about the purchase? - Yes

How I feel about the book? - No

Then just buy a reprint?

29 minutes ago, mysterymachine said:

My first thought-If its a book you want, focus on the book. not the grade. Most 9.2's or higher look great. There are too many people in the "Hobby" who's real hobby is to make as much money as possible. The 9.8 grade in my opinion is just bragging rights. I know people won't like that comment but it is how I feel.

My second thought-Why ask if you should buy the book. Its your decision. Are you willing to accept a loss if you buy now? You will have the book you always wanted, so who cares if it loses value?

What is it if I want the grade to be as high as possible, and valuable; but, I never want to sell it and I don’t care if anyone knows I have it.

I care about the price because I care about buying power afterwards like everyone else.  I just don’t want to overpay, and the prices crash in a month.

I do think I would be happy with a 9.4 or 9.6.  They look new to me but even those are being gouged on eBay now.

Edited by Mike_1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

OK, but I didn't... and you keep quoting me.

I sure do, you keep quoting me.

If you don't like it when someone says "rare" then stop saying "rare" yourself.

Don't think about PINK ELEPHANTS!  No matter what you do, stop thinking about PINK ELEPHANTS!

593816879_298px-PinkElephant1.jpg.7f69d9b87118c0a8886e3091cd06f467.jpg

You aren't thinking about pink elephants are you?  I told you not to! :kidaround:

Edited by valiantman

4 minutes ago, Mike_1 said:

What is it if I want the grade to be as high as possible, and valuable; but, I never want to sell it and I don’t care if anyone knows I have it.

I care about the price because I care about buying power afterwards like everyone else.  I just don’t want to overpay, and the prices crash in a month.

I do think I would be happy with a 9.4 or 9.6.  They look new to me but even those are being gouged on eBay now.

Look, if a 9.8 white pages consistently sells for $5K in all venues (ebay and other auction sites, conventions, private sales, etc), then what are you willing to pay for it?

Rinse, lather, and repeat for 9.6 (assume $2.1K), and 9.4 (assume $1.1K)

If you're looking for a deal on a public forum, then I wish you the best of luck!

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Look, if a 9.8 white pages consistently sells for $5K in all venues (ebay and other auction sites, conventions, private sales, etc), then what are you willing to pay for it?

Rinse, lather, and repeat for 9.6 (assume $2.1K), and 9.4 (assume $1.1K)

If you're looking for a deal on a public forum, then I wish you the best of luck!

I agree.  Just wanted opinions on if they would go up or down.  I know it’s just an opinion and nobody knows really.  

Appreciate all the feedback.

What do you think Autos should add to 9.6 price?  This number seems to vary.

- Stan

- Todd

I found a 9.6 with Stan and Todd signs for $3500 and that seems reasonable but I’ve seen other sales lately for less

Edited by Mike_1
More context

22 minutes ago, valiantman said:

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 336 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 direct edition and 18 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand (Universal and Signature Series)

Was the second line supposed to be CGC 9.6?

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Lol. My sister from France was aghast at seeing our local restaurant had “rare tuna” on the menu. 

1 minute ago, JazzMan said:
25 minutes ago, valiantman said:

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 336 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 direct edition and 18 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand (Universal and Signature Series)

Was the second line supposed to be CGC 9.6?

Yep, I cutty-and-pastey poorly.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I wonder if you might be able to help me.  I'm looking for an original copy of Action Comics #1.  I know the original price was 10 cents, but I'd like to find one cheaper. 

PM with offers, I'd like to buy in bulk if I can get a bigger discount.

Thanks in advance.

I’m probably running on impulse and someone mentioned fomo.

I really did always want the book but eh probably not really worth it.  Should have bought it ten years ago.  Just forgot about it.

5 minutes ago, Mike_1 said:

As with any book. You buy the book you can afford at the highest grade possible. Why did the hobby turn into the stock market? Prices will drop eventually, but by how much? What if the next Venom movie stinks? What if it is better that the last one? Why is collecting sooo hard!    :insane: