• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this rust or am I just going crazy?

11 posts in this topic

In the light it's shiny or when I use flash it's kinda shiny but when it's normal it seems to have a grey undertone? Is this rust! Should I crack it and get it cleaned and recased to just protect the book! The book is from 1940. Or is that just dirt? Thoughts please, it keeps me up worrying about this book 😂😂 

Screenshot_20210329-000721.png

Screenshot_20210329-000729.png

I'm not seeing the rust. My experience with rust is that if you have it, you'll definitely see it.

20 hours ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

In the light it's shiny or when I use flash it's kinda shiny but when it's normal it seems to have a grey undertone? Is this rust! Should I crack it and get it cleaned and recased to just protect the book! The book is from 1940. Or is that just dirt? Thoughts please, it keeps me up worrying about this book 😂😂 

Screenshot_20210329-000721.png

pitted but no rust-keep in mind rust can be brushed off and I believe if CGC notices it gets a purple label.  Others may know more.  This looks exactly like staples I have scrubbed rust off of-the pitting remains.

1 hour ago, kav said:

pitted but no rust-keep in mind rust can be brushed off and I believe if CGC notices it gets a purple label.  Others may know more.  This looks exactly like staples I have scrubbed rust off of-the pitting remains.

Okay thank you! So it's not rust! And it's a Blue label 6.5