• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Proposal

12 posts in this topic

I have some Stan Lee File Copies that are not "Signature Series". They come with the CGC notation on the label "Stan Lee File Copy", but that's it.

I would like to get Stan Lee's signature on the slabs. I'm not sure where he'll be making appearances at cons this year, but I'm sure that someone here will attend a con that he's at.

What I propose is sending several of these books to someone on this board that will be attending a con with Stan Lee and having them get these books signed. In return I will give one of the books to the person that can do this. I'll of course pay for shipping both ways as well.

If anyone is interested please let me know.

I'm interested, as I do the Signature Series anyways, but he doesn't do that many shows a year, and the lines are usually quite packed for the ones he shows up to. If he does venture out to the eastern part of the country I will take you up on that offer. If you see him listed for a show, let me know and I will look into going.

I've looked through the CBG Convention Supplement 2003 and he's not on anyone’s guest list yet, but there are still several large conventions this year that haven't published their lists yet so I’m still hopeful.

Hopefully we can work something out. I'd hate to have to fly to a convention myself just to get these books signed, but I fear that Stan The Man may not be with us much longer. I hope he's around for another 20 years, but he's not been in great health for some time now.

My problem is that this summer is going to be a very busy time for me professionally so a vacation based around a convention just isn't going to happen. If there is no other way I will fly to where he is just to get his sig and then fly right back, but I don't want to do that if it can be avoided.

Thanks for your interest Bob. I'll be keeping my eyes open for sure.

Another Stan Lee story:

In college, I worked in a comic book store. We had Stan in one day for a signing. I spent six straight hours standing at the cash register ringing up sales. After the end of the signing I caught up with Stan on the sidewalk outside the store, asked him to sign one book, and apologized about asking him after the signing, explaining I had been behind the counter all day. Stan said Sure, come with me to the car. So we walked a block to the car and I got my book signed.

I no longer have the book he signed, but I'll never forget how nice he was after a long day when one more fan asked for his signature.

I have a Stan Lee story too. Back in the 80s I would attend the San Diego Comic-Con and get sketches by various artists. I would then usually have them colored by Steve Oliff (professional comic book colorist). This one time I was having Steve color a sketch for me. He was sitting at a table in artist's alley and I was standing, watching him color. Suddenly over the loudspeaker came the announcement that Stan Lee would be signing autographs in Artist's Alley. Just as I heard this I look up and see Stan Lee walking in my direction, followed by a throng of autograph seekers. He sits down right next to Steve Oliff, so for the next half hour I get to watch Showman Stan Lee do his stuff.

What I found most interesting was there were just as many kids in line as there were adults. They would have him sign just about any Marvel comic, whether he had anything to do with it or not. They were bringing GI Joes, current X-men, Spider-man, among others.

I remember an adult fan had brought up an old Fantastic Four for him to sign, probably something below 10. Stan grabbed the comic and opened the cover to sign on the first page, (for those who weren't collecting comics before 1990, creators almost never signed the covers of comics. They usually signed in the margin of the first page or wherever the title splash page was) in doing so he tore the 1st page about 2"-3". After a quick sorry about that, he signed next to the tear and wrote "This comic torn by Stan Lee". I don't think the fan even cared that it was torn, he was just happy to have Stan's autograph. smile.gif

They usually signed in the margin of the first page or wherever the title splash page was) in doing so he tore the 1st page about 2"-3". After a quick sorry about that, he signed next to the tear and wrote "This comic torn by Stan Lee". I don't think the fan even cared that it was torn, he was just happy to have Stan's autograph.

That's a great frigging story. Makes for a good conversation piece with fans. smile.gif