• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rookie question/complaint
2 2

63 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Mr mojo risin said:

I recently made my first submission to CDC which included 6 modern books.  I’m dumbfounded by the grades received.

I’ve purchased many graded books from eBay and thought I was familiar with what would grade high.  I had one book, 20 years old that I bought from a basement sale grade 9.2.  A second book that I bought myself, bagged and boarded from a shop, that has never been touched grade as 8.5.  Encapsulated the 9.2 looks worse than the 8.5.  The graders notes on the 8.5 day nothing about interior defects so I don’t get it.

I understand your confusion. I recently made my first submission to CGC just to dip my feet in the water. But I started with lower priced books just to see the process and educate myself before I submit any valuable books to them. I am learning about grading myself and I have a lot of questions and concerns about how or why CGC should be the standard bearer for a collectable. I have two copies of Batman Vs Predator #1 that I purchased Raw from eBay. To me they look comparable. I submitted one in this submission and when I get it back I will submit the second one just to see how far apart the results are. If I simply cannot understand the grades I will not submit anything else.

I have an Amazing Spiderman 300 9.8  in a Green Label simply because they will not verify Todd McFarlane's signature which I have proof is legitimate. So I am supposed to let this book go for thousands of dollars less because it does not pass muster with this one company? My response is, "screw that." It is an Amazing Spiderman 300 9.8 signed by Todd McFarlane and I will not sell it for less based on the color of the label. No sarcasm or insult is intended here but if you are not happy with the game, don't play it. I'm not going to.

5 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

I understand your confusion. I recently made my first submission to CGC just to dip my feet in the water. But I started with lower priced books just to see the process and educate myself before I submit any valuable books to them. I am learning about grading myself and I have a lot of questions and concerns about how or why CGC should be the standard bearer for a collectable. I have two copies of Batman Vs Predator #1 that I purchased Raw from eBay. To me they look comparable. I submitted one in this submission and when I get it back I will submit the second one just to see how far apart the results are. If I simply cannot understand the grades I will not submit anything else.

I have an Amazing Spiderman 300 9.8  in a Green Label simply because they will not verify Todd McFarlane's signature which I have proof is legitimate. So I am supposed to let this book go for thousands of dollars less because it does not pass muster with this one company? My response is, "screw that." It is an Amazing Spiderman 300 9.8 signed by Todd McFarlane and I will not sell it for less based on the color of the label. No sarcasm or insult is intended here but if you are not happy with the game, don't play it. I'm not going to.

This is why you have to study and learn the rules of the game. If you knew that CGC gives an un-witnessed  signature on a book a green label, you wouldn't have submitted it, I assume. 

CGC or an slabbing company is not the all powerful end all, but getting a green label for a signed book is a mistake you could have easily avoided by reading their guidelines.

7 minutes ago, shadroch said:

This is why you have to study and learn the rules of the game. If you knew that CGC gives an un-witnessed  signature on a book a green label, you wouldn't have submitted it, I assume. 

CGC or an slabbing company is not the all powerful end all, but getting a green label for a signed book is a mistake you could have easily avoided by reading their guidelines.

No. I understand their signature guidelines. I simply do not care. I will not give them that much power.

1 hour ago, Greatwhite said:

Just because you're someone of moral character doesn't mean the next person is.  You have to realize there are people out there who would willingly deceive others.  The system for green label vs yellow label is in place as a way or protecting against fraud.  Some people will pay more for the assurance that a yellow label provides.

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

I once submitted a book to CGC and didn't see it had signatures on it. I was so carefully looking the book over for defects/ spine tics/ corner dings/ etc that I completely missed the 2 signatures in the middle of the front cover. What is even more hilarious is the other joint owner of the book @thehumantorchdidn't see the signatures either.

12 hours ago, xvipah said:

Something About Mary is my favorite Cameron Diaz movie for sure. And one of my favorite ever comedies. Not too many comedies have me laughing like that did.

The Ben Stiller zipper scene is probably the funniest moment in film

9 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

No. I understand their signature guidelines. I simply do not care. I will not give them that much power.

What are you on about?

Power??? :screwy:

CGC offers a service. You buy in or you don't...simple as.

They are not trying for world domination here.

You are in possession of free will. They are not trying to sell your children.

9 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

They call it witnessed for a reason, because a CGC representative personally witnessed the sig.   That avoids the use of signature experts who can be fooled and ensures that no forgeries are graded as real signatures.  CGC won't look at any proof that you provide.  CGC has done it this way for years and you made a mistake because you didn't understand how CGC handles signatures.

I'd suggest you send the ASM 300 to CBCS for grading as they use signature experts rather than witnessing the signature.  Play the game but do your best to understand the rules.

28 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

The Ben Stiller zipper scene is probably the funniest moment in film

I prefer the police interrogation scene. Stiller's character believes they arrested him for picking up a hitch-hiker, they found a dead body in his passenger seat left there by the hitch-hiker he picked up and arrested Stiller for murder.

Police - "How many times would you say you have done this?"

Stiller - "Hitch-hikers? 50 ... 100, kinda lost count. Am I in serious trouble here?"

Edited by Artboy99

39 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I once submitted a book to CGC and didn't see it had signatures on it. I was so carefully looking the book over for defects/ spine tics/ corner dings/ etc that I completely missed the 2 signatures in the middle of the front cover. What is even more hilarious is the other joint owner of the book @thehumantorchdidn't see the signatures either.

I can't see much.  Seems to me Joey looked at it too.

16 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

How did you get the beans above the frank!?

I know you're joking but it still makes my eyes water, 48 years later. Lots of blood.

I think Little paul still suffers from PTSD.