• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rookie question/complaint
2 2

63 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, G G ® ™ said:

I know you're joking but it still makes my eyes water, 48 years later. Lots of blood.

I think Little paul still suffers from PTSD. 

P trauma syndrome ?  Can I even say that word?

Edited by thehumantorch
nope, can't say it

2 minutes ago, G G ® ™ said:

I know you're joking but it still makes my eyes water, 48 years later. Lots of blood.

I think Little paul still suffers from PTSD. 

It was actually that bad? :eek: Sorry.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:21 PM, Mr mojo risin said:

I recently made my first submission to CDC which included 6 modern books.  I’m dumbfounded by the grades received.

I’ve purchased many graded books from eBay and thought I was familiar with what would grade high.  I had one book, 20 years old that I bought from a basement sale grade 9.2.  A second book that I bought myself, bagged and boarded from a shop, that has never been touched grade as 8.5.  Encapsulated the 9.2 looks worse than the 8.5.  The graders notes on the 8.5 day nothing about interior defects so I don’t get it.

There have already been some really helpful responses (and some perhaps not helpful, but very entertaining responses, even though the humor was at your expense.) I am more of a lurker than a poster on the forums, but I have submitted quite a few times to CGC. What I learned quickly early on in submitting was that I was pretty accurate at eyeballing mid-grades (5.0-7.0) and lower grades (like a 2.0 vs. a 3.0). But when it comes to the higher grades, determining 8.5 vs. 9.0 or the finer points of the decimals above 9.0 can take a lot of time, skill, and careful attention - much more than just eye appeal or the care you took while storing it. Spend some time on the boards digging around. There's a wealth of wisdom shared in other forums about grading, especially the "spare a grade" forum that others have mentioned. And lighten up a bit :) This is a pretty welcoming place to hang.

Edited by rumrunner71

6 minutes ago, rumrunner71 said:

There have already been some really helpful responses (and some perhaps not helpful, but very entertaining responses, even though the humor was at your expense.) I am more of a lurker than a poster on the forums, but I have submitted quite a few times to CGC. What I learned quickly early on in submitting was that I was pretty accurate at eyeballing mid-grades (5.0-7.0) and lower grades (like a 2.0 vs. a 3.0). But when it comes to the higher grades, determining 8.5 vs. 9.0 or the finer points of the decimals above 9.0 can take a lot of time, skill, and careful attention - much more than just eye appeal or the care you took while storing it. Spend some time on the boards digging around. There's a wealth of wisdom shared in other forums about grading, especially the "spare a grade" forum that others have mentioned. And lighten up a bit :) This is a pretty welcoming place to hang.

I like your avatar. :bigsmile:

In fact I like it so much, I am awarding you the rare GG seal, which only @vheflinhas.

Wear it with pride.

seal-of-approval-wblue-edging-stock-illustration__k9404178.thumb.jpg.8c9a7d8ca0c66a9fb441afe9becd7c71.jpg

Edited by G G ® ™

Just now, rumrunner71 said:

Thanks! When I started collecting, the first comic I put in my little plastic box of comics was Heathcliff's Funhouse #1. Still got it. And still waiting for that price bubble to hit lol

Worthy of the GGSOA.  :banana:

All, except for the humor (which I really enjoyed) this was a very informative thread.  Dont trust the seller, grade it yourself or better yet put it on "spare a grede" to get some feedback. I tend to "miss" issues because I love my comic and that group brings me to earth,  Using this excellent group I have learned to grade more realistically and see things I overlooked.Thanks to everyone in that channel for helping me!!  I collected years ago and thought I wanted t get rid of my collection, but OH NO, Comics pulled me right back in!!

That being said, originator, study up.  Dont trust "its a 9.8" seller.  Demand detailed high quality pics of front back and interior. Look them over... carefully.  If you trust a seller, you have made your first mistake and it could be costly.

Thanks All!

FYI: in the last 6 months my 9.8's I have learned are mostly 8.5's after some studying and help from this experienced group of people.

53 minutes ago, SellinMyCollection said:

If you trust a seller, you have made your first mistake and it could be costly.

Not entirely true.  I trust long time established dealers who are on the board.  People who have a good eye for grading and restoration.  Probably hard to find depending on your area, but once you find someone who fits the bill, that's a person who's getting my return business.

I have books 30 years old I never read I wouldn’t send in to grade. They sat in a file cabinet. When I went to finally change the bags and boards I found a picture of the back cover imprinted on the board. Also the page colors were discolored and the paper seemed more fine. 
like anything else in this world it deteriorates and dies. Some measures to take is to change your bags and boards, and I even now bought a de-humidifier because some had moisture rippling. Web of Spider-Man’s are notorious for this. 
some of my collection remained like the day I bought it off the stand, others just didn’t hold up as well. I think certain books are made better than others imho. 
Oh.. and a 9.2 is a good grade. I look for 9.2s when I’m looking to get a pricey book I really want. Will it sell or do you collect? Those are questions to ask yourself. 

Edited by Joe Lindsey

30 minutes ago, Joe Lindsey said:

I have books 30 years old I never read I wouldn’t send in to grade. They sat in a file cabinet. When I went to finally change the bags and boards I found a picture of the back cover imprinted on the board. Also the page colors were discolored and the paper seemed more fine. 
like anything else in this world it deteriorates and dies. Some measures to take is to change your bags and boards, and I even now bought a de-humidifier because some had moisture rippling. Web of Spider-Man’s are notorious for this. 
some of my collection remained like the day I bought it off the stand, others just didn’t hold up as well. I think certain books are made better than others imho. 
Oh.. and a 9.2 is a good grade. I look for 9.2s when I’m looking to get a pricey book I really want. Will it sell or do you collect? Those are questions to ask yourself. 

Mylar.  I re-bagged and boarded my collection within the last 6 years.  It was worth the investment.  I haven’t seen those issues...I’m guessing I did something right that I can’t pinpoint.  I’ve got 18 long boxes and everything so far looks fine. I think humidity and poor protection are a key problem, but climate control can fix it. 👍

53 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Mylar.  I re-bagged and boarded my collection within the last 6 years.  It was worth the investment.  I haven’t seen those issues...I’m guessing I did something right that I can’t pinpoint.  I’ve got 18 long boxes and everything so far looks fine. I think humidity and poor protection are a key problem, but climate control can fix it. 👍

Sho you right! I’ve heard very good things about Mylar. It’s pricey I’ve heard but i wish I knew before what I know now. Sadly it’s too late. As a young lad I thought I’d be a millionaire from my Spider-Man 1 gold edition book only to find out it’s probably a 8.0 I could never sell haha. 

19 minutes ago, Joe Lindsey said:

Sho you right! I’ve heard very good things about Mylar. It’s pricey I’ve heard but i wish I knew before what I know now. Sadly it’s too late. As a young lad I thought I’d be a millionaire from my Spider-Man 1 gold edition book only to find out it’s probably a 8.0 I could never sell haha. 

How do you know that for sure?  You should post high quality pics in the forum I mentioned.  Lots of boardies here could give their opinions.  Lots of experience here in the forums.(thumbsu

11 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

How do you know that for sure?  You should post high quality pics in the forum I mentioned.  Lots of boardies here could give their opinions.  Lots of experience here in the forums.(thumbsu

I don’t really I was more making a joke haha. I will definitely do that! I like opinions before I jump in with both feet. Most of questions would probably be along the lines of should I get it pressed or not seeing as how I know nothing of pressing. I have a pretty good eye for grade so far I’m 2 points positive or negative. Seems to me they assess the book by just experience of better or worse copies. 
I guess what I’m kind of saying is “Spider-Man” is a better made book than amazing or spectacular Spider-Man. The pages are just more full. Or X-men vs uncanny X-men of the same time and place. They seem to hold up a lot better. Then again some spectacular Spider-Man’s are constructed like the same of the regular Spider-Man. It’s like they used the cheap paper one week, the next they got the good stuff.and some soak up the moisture like a sponge (web of) vs the superior. It’s like a hard back book vs a catalog. 
I love this hobby! It’s so cool to chop it up in here you guys are gonna ban me soon 

6 minutes ago, Joe Lindsey said:

I don’t really I was more making a joke haha. I will definitely do that! I like opinions before I jump in with both feet. Most of questions would probably be along the lines of should I get it pressed or not seeing as how I know nothing of pressing. I have a pretty good eye for grade so far I’m 2 points positive or negative. Seems to me they assess the book by just experience of better or worse copies. 
I guess what I’m kind of saying is “Spider-Man” is a better made book than amazing or spectacular Spider-Man. The pages are just more full. Or X-men vs uncanny X-men of the same time and place. They seem to hold up a lot better. Then again some spectacular Spider-Man’s are constructed like the same of the regular Spider-Man. It’s like they used the cheap paper one week, the next they got the good stuff.and some soak up the moisture like a sponge (web of) vs the superior. It’s like a hard back book vs a catalog. 
I love this hobby! It’s so cool to chop it up in here you guys are gonna ban me soon 

You won’t get banned, as long as you behave yourself...as in not bashing any opinions or advice.  Most folks here love helping out, with the occasional joke or hack from time to time. 😊

17 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

You won’t get banned, as long as you behave yourself...as in not bashing any opinions or advice.  Most folks here love helping out, with the occasional joke or hack from time to time. 😊

I welcome the advice. I’ve collected books for awhile but the grading is new to me. And pressing is a mystery. I got a Wolverine 3 82 I believe is a 9.0 ish however it has a newsstand stamp on it. This one I have a reservation on from the tattoo and how much they ding for that. Also as far as I know maybe it can be extracted somehow from this mysterious “pressing” or “dry cleaning they do. I’ll make sure to send in my pre-submissions in the mentioned thread you talked about. Will see how good my eye actually is.