• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel title with no valuable issues at all including #1? 😤

79 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, kav said:

Theyre like a $30 - $100 books.   

$1000 in 8.0 is a ridiculously high bar for almost any Bronze or Copper title.

But I dare you to find a Marvel Team-Up 1 in CGC 9.4 for under $1,000 shipped.

No chance a CGC 9.8 copy would sell for less than $15,000. More likely would go for $20,000+.

And it's got zero first appearances.

46 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

$1000 in 8.0 is a ridiculously high bar for almost any Bronze or Copper title.

But I dare you to find a Marvel Team-Up 1 in CGC 9.4 for under $1,000 shipped.

No chance a CGC 9.8 copy would sell for less than $15,000. More likely would go for $20,000+.

And it's got zero first appearances.

Right. I would say if the series has issues that go well over $1,000 in 9.8 then there are valuable issues. MTU has lots of issues that are very expensive in near mint.

Barbie and Barbie Fashion.

Back in the 90’s when my niece and nephew were little, I would pick up issues of Spider-Man for him and the Barbie’s for her. After accumulating about 25-30 issues, my niece lost interest and didn’t want them. I still have them in a box somewhere but I’m sure they are completely worthless!

This thread would be interesting with a more realistic bar . $1000 in 8.0 is so high it would be easier to name the one's that are over not under. (tsk)

But since Kav started this thread, I see no reason not to hi-jack it.  Title's under $500 in 8.0

Captain Savage

Ka-zar (any of them)

Marvel Presents

Man Thing

Monster of Frankenstein

7 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

image.png.b22fcc3bd08885ba22276911dcc72050.png

MCS has a 9.8 copy for $130

As far as the Star stuff goes, I'd take Care Bears over Heathcliff. Both runs are dollar fodder right now, but Care Bears has kept more active media development; if the franchise ever attracts its equivalent of Lauren Faust, I think it could become relevant again someday. Heathcliff... well... not so much. Neither Heathcliff cartoon series was very interesting, and the 1986 film was literally just a compilation of episodes from the second cartoon, smooshed together and given a theatrical release. Efforts to produce an actual film around 2010 went nowhere. The individual comic strips are still being written by the nephew of the original creator, but they tend towards weirdness. I can't imagine anyone jumping on the franchise.

That Sweet XVI is pretty terrible, though. If it was more than six issues (plus a special), I'd probably give it the crown. I'm not a fan of Barbara Slate's art in general, but she sure phoned it in for that run. Not sure I blame her...

11 hours ago, kav said:

Theyre like a $30 - $100 books.   

what do you consider expensive? #1 is a $1300 book in 9.4:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Team-Up-1-CGC-9-4-White-Pages-1972-1st-Misty-Knight-Older-CGC-Label-/164806845217?hash=item265f40e321%3Ag%3AWxUAAOSwIytgJhj0&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557  Maybe $3K+++ in 9.8 (even if you go by march prices, still around $1000 in 9.4)

#3 in 9.8 for $920

131 sold for $900 in 9.8 (three times) and $1100   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Team-Up-131-CGC-9-8-1st-appearance-of-the-White-Rabbit-1983-/124486569402?hash=item1cfbfa4dba%3Ag%3AsGIAAOSwH-Rf14Qt&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Team-Up-131-cgc-9-8-1st-appearance-of-the-White-Rabbit-WHITE-pg-Spiderman/124571660053?hash=item1d010caf15:g:fKcAAOSw1VFgJyC~

2, 4, 53, 65, 95, and 141 and Annual 1 are probably around $400-500 in 9.8, and around $150ish in 9.4, although a 65 in 9.8 sold for $800

Edited by the blob

8 hours ago, kav said:

over $1000

that is the April 2020 version of a valuable comic. 5 years ago when previously run of the mill books went over $300 in 9.8 folks were in a tizzy. Most of our income levels have not gone up much in 5 years, just perceptions of what is valuable.

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

Why?

Marvel Team-Up # 1 starts the 2nd Spidey title and due to its black cover is really HTF in high grade.

Only 3 total 9.8s on the census and 16 total 9.6s.

Last recorded 9.8 sale was 12 years ago for $5,000.

As The Blog noted, last reported 9.4 sale was 3 days ago for $1,300.

Pretty sure that $1,300 for a mere 9.4 qualifies it as key. 

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Marvel Team-Up # 1 starts the 2nd Spidey title and due to its black cover is really HTF in high grade.

Sorry, my post wasn't in reply to yours. lol

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

Barbie and Barbie Fashion.

Back in the 90’s when my niece and nephew were little, I would pick up issues of Spider-Man for him and the Barbie’s for her. After accumulating about 25-30 issues, my niece lost interest and didn’t want them. I still have them in a box somewhere but I’m sure they are completely worthless!

they were actually selling for a while there. dunno about now, but they were selling for $3-5 a pop at some point when most moderns couldn't crack $2

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Why?

why is MTU 1 expensive?

Why is anything?

1st issue of a series that lasted 141 issues? Unlike PPS, was not a huge spec issue (notwithstanding the guy who owns 500 copies, I think that is more a labor of love/mental health thing)

Almost 50 years old

Yes, the black cover seems to make high grade harder and that helps

My guess is that a Defenders 1 in 9.8 approaches $1K and it is like the 5th appearance of the Defenders. No good reason that cover should be so hard in 9.8, but I don't see many)

Ghost Rider 1 in 9.8 is thousands and it is like the 9th appearance of GR (I don't think the $ is in the Hellstrom cameo)

49 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm the Blog now? You think my posts are too wordy? I'm fat. I will keep on calling myself the Blob as long as I am fat. This past summer I was within 25 pounds of getting rid of the name, but I skrewed that up starting in September.

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:

That wasn't it, either.

why was this thread created? i dunno either, especially with the idea that something is only "expensive" at $1000. who here has actually spent $1000 on a comic? I never have. Not even close. Not even for original art! 

Just now, the blob said:

why was this thread created? i dunno either, especially with the idea that something is only "expensive" at $1000. who here has actually spent $1000 on a comic? I never have. Not even close. Not even for original art! 

I have! I've considered doing it again, too.

Just now, Angel of Death said:

I have! I've considered doing it again, too.

right, if a decent chunk of the folks here haven't done it, I'm not sure it is a great cut-off. I know, in the real world $1000 isn't anything. I get it. Just 3 weeks take home pay for your typical minimum wage worker. Or a crappy used car. Or a month's rent in a lot of places.