• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel title with no valuable issues at all including #1? 😤

79 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

As someone who spent ~$400 apiece on his copies of Ghost Rider 1 (8.5) and Conan 1 (9.4), that just hurts my feelings!

I can bring my settings down to $400 in 8.5-

2 hours ago, Qalyar said:

1991 Marvel made a lot of dubious decisions. My only real surprise is that this wasn't foisted off on the Epic imprint with the rest of the irredeemables (Car Warriors, Captain Confederacy, Hollywood Superstars, Samurai Cat...).

But then again, there's Suburban Jersey Ninja She-Devils that year. And NFL Superpro, so....

Except nfl super pro 1, 2, and maybe 3 sold a ton of copies.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

How about what's likely the most obscure Marvel debut of 1990?

I give you: Street Poet Ray # 1. The series lasted four issues.

Street Poet Ray # 1.jpg

This thread has brought to light some marvels I have never seen. I feel educated. This is exactly the type of book I would buy in a dollar box just because it is obscure.

52 minutes ago, the blob said:

This thread has brought to light some marvels I have never seen. I feel educated. This is exactly the type of book I would buy in a dollar box just because it is obscure.

Extra fun fact, there are both direct market and newsstand prints of Street Poet Ray. Unlike most books, you won't be able to tell them apart flipping through a dollar bin because the bar codes are on the back covers. Given what a weird niche item this title was, I suspect that the newsstand prints are genuinely scarce unless there was a warehouse dump at some point. I'm equally certain that no one, anywhere, cares.

6 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Extra fun fact, there are both direct market and newsstand prints of Street Poet Ray. Unlike most books, you won't be able to tell them apart flipping through a dollar bin because the bar codes are on the back covers. Given what a weird niche item this title was, I suspect that the newsstand prints are genuinely scarce unless there was a warehouse dump at some point. I'm equally certain that no one, anywhere, cares.

someone paid $8.40 + shipping for a newsstand version of #3. i thought if a book was under 80-90,000 copies it was made direct only, but I guess they needed a chance to see what sales would be like? imagine anyone buying that off the newsstand? at least on the other one a parent could mistake the book as being good for kids or something.

Edited by the blob

I see neither book ever making it into marvel continuity. Dakota North has actually been in A LOT of mainstream marvel stuff and we like to joke about her, but she's a better bet! She's besties with Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Matt Murdock, and the Black Panther.

12 hours ago, the blob said:

why was this thread created? i dunno either, especially with the idea that something is only "expensive" at $1000. who here has actually spent $1000 on a comic? I never have. Not even close. Not even for original art! 

Just agreed in principle to my first four figure comic purchase for Amazing Spider-Man #4. First appearance of Sandman, not Silk. Damn near sick over it but if I'm going to finish the run I'll cross this threshold a dozen times more lol:sick:

But you're right $1,000 for a single book is a pretty high bar.