• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

Well, not sure if it should be a 9.4 from a strict structural point of view, regardless of the large fugly dust shadow.  :p

From a structural point of view, I don't really care too much for the off-center wrap as evident by the bottom portion of the spine.  Then again, I don't believe that CGC hits the grade of a book too hard for this type of clear visual defect since I assume they probably view it more as a production related issue.  (shrug)

56 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess the owners of both the Penn and Church copy of Suspense 3 are probably breathing a sigh of relief after hearing this.  :bigsmile:

Maybe—I guess it depends who owns them. Values only matter to people who intend to sell. I couldn't care less what my books are worth. I think of money spent on comics as money spent—full stop. The few books that I might sell (because they don't fit my collection any longer, if they ever did) are ones that aren't worth very much anyway.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess the owners of both the Penn and Church copy of Suspense 3 are probably breathing a sigh of relief after hearing this.  :bigsmile:

Any idea if this was just for Suspense 3 only , or were the other early Suspense Comics also missing from the collection as I believe the only ones graded so far has been from either Suspense 5 or 6 and then the later issues after that?  hm

Also, did you get a chance to ask about Punch 12 since quite a few boardies was wondering about this classic cover issue here?  ???

Collection starts with Suspense #5.

5 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

It makes sense when you put it that way, but I think CGC would’ve at least knocked it down a few grades due to the dust shadow if this wasn’t a book from a pedigree collection. 

It didn't matter with the Billy Wright books... some of the ugliest dust shadows and Foxing that I ever saw were on those books and they still made the grade. I'd have to see the Flash 92 book in hand, though. The scan looks like it's been amped to the moon and that will make dust shadows and edges distort, while the colors are unnaturally intense, GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

And the scan doesn’t look amped up.  The books cover is white, but in the scan it’s far from white, or even an “off-white.  Amped scans don’t have any dots/tone in the white areas.  Most of the time.

1 hour ago, Aman619 said:

And the scan doesn’t look amped up.  The books cover is white, but in the scan it’s far from white, or even an “off-white.  Amped scans don’t have any dots/tone in the white areas.  Most of the time.

Depends on what kind of amping. I'll bet you a hundred dollars that book doesn't look anything like that scan... based on the blue, just for starters. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo (a friend of Jesus)(thumbsu

4 minutes ago, szav said:

It looks like the mono-color background Riddler trapping Batman and Robin in a deadly array of coat hangers has pulled ahead and  is the first Promise book to break 100k.  

... Tec 140 has always been one of those "wishful thinking" books to me. One of my favorite periods in my collecting life was the mid 90's and Classic Villain Batman books were my focus. They actually seemed cheap in comparison. Even then the 140 was probably 2K easily... way out of reach... but I did snag a 142 which is one of my favorite Riddler covers... never saw one in person better than a 6.5, I bet the Promise copy of Tec 142 is mesmerizing.... and probably a level of magnitude less than the140. I'd still have to step WAY outside my comfort zone. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

Your fellow TCBC, Mitch

... this is not just hype. Thanks for all your participation, sir ... GOD BLESS...

I doubled my record number of tracking and put in a LOT of bids... the one I like best(... speaking realistically, that I might could afford ... ) is SUN GIRL 2 :cloud9: It's just a 9.0, but I love Atlas/Timely .... GOD BLESS...

I wonder what's left ? In the case of budget minded people, not releasing a list may not be the best way to maximize sales. 

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Your fellow TCBC, Mitch

Yes, thank you, Mitch. It's great to learn about your approach to the collection. You've been stepping up into unknown/unheard areas well before this ... Good luck and all the best! :wishluck: :popcorn:

5 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Depends on what kind of amping. I'll bet you a hundred dollars that book doesn't look anything like that scan... based on the blue, just for starters. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo (a friend of Jesus)(thumbsu

I dunno. That likes like the “dirty cyan” common to GA books to me. What are you seeing?

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

HOW TO VIEW AND BUY THE PROMISE COLLECTION:

1: View the promise collection: As a lifelong Ha customer, you learn things.

A: Go to the auction main page

B:Click "view or download printable catalog"

C: Click "download FDF"...this will take a while

D: Scroll down to the 3d Catalog which is the "promise collection part 1"

D: you will see the largest blowup of any "promise" book  available, every detail will be present it is amazing.

E: Always look at largest blowup before you decide what to bid, on any Ha.com Signature item. Once you discover this your future auction research will never be the same in terms of what you are buying.

2: To purchase a promise collection book consider the following:

A-On page 5 of the promise catalog you have special "promise" auction terms of purchase":

"25% down payment> Then up to 12 equal monthly payments with the first 30 days free. Then 6% APR interest. Delivery when the invoice is paid in full."

B- Go online and check best new credit card offers of 0% or 2% balance interest free for 6 months, 9 months or even one year.

I hope this is helpful to one and all...check out that blown up PDF

Your fellow TCBC, Mitch

But you still have to pay the credit card surcharge, adding 2.5% to your price. Or is that now part of the 6% interest?  6% is pretty steep, no?

1 minute ago, Aman619 said:

I dunno. That likes like the “dirty cyan” common to GA books to me. What are you seeing?

It's hard for me to generate a shopping list, but that looks like the images I produce when I'm going too far with the "clarity" edit ... it just doesn't seem natural. I have a camera I use that has outlived it's lifespan and does a poor job ... I use editing tools to clean them up and make them more accurate to what the book actually looks life. I've become very familiar with going too far ... now, mind you, that the default setting on many of these imaging devices is usually too extreme ... so It's not always calculated by the user. I have found that a typical camera or scanner seems to be less sharp than it was 10 years ago, with no sign of improvement. Quality imaging is not a given. I would be curious to find out if they "upgraded" to something new, as they had seemed to be correcting their weakness in the scanning department. GOD BLESS...

... if it turns out I was wrong about the scan, I'm good for the $ 100 wager. 

50 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

But you still have to pay the credit card surcharge, adding 2.5% to your price. Or is that now part of the 6% interest?  6% is pretty steep, no?

6% apr on annual basis on the remaining balance after your 25% down with one month for free, so it works out to about 5.5  annual if you take the full year on the balances due that month. If you belong to a credit union you might be able to bet a much better rate but, you have nothing to lose you could put down  25% and at the end of the 30 days pay off the balance in full with no interest charge. If you pay with credit card  even if they ding you 2.5% and its interest free balance transfer that could be another way to go. We over 5000 OO GA books, so you have a lot of options available to you.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/28/2021 at 9:59 PM, Aman619 said:

That video is kinda interesting, cause the non bearded guy has been promoting modern books heavily for a few years.  Sure he’s also touted bronze kegs etc, but I’ve never seen him go on about or be interested in Golden Age books...  has he?  If he is a voice for the modern crowd, has the ears of the new guys, perhaps they listen and start getting into GA??

He occasionally covers GA, usually with the "Golden Age Guru" who is the bearded guest on this episode.  I watched a couple episodes, and it was very painful, even sped up 50%.

Edited by adamstrange

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

It's hard for me to generate a shopping list, but that looks like the images I produce when I'm going too far with the "clarity" edit ... it just doesn't seem natural. I have a camera I use that has outlived it's lifespan and does a poor job ... I use editing tools to clean them up and make them more accurate to what the book actually looks life. I've become very familiar with going too far ... now, mind you, that the default setting on many of these imaging devices is usually too extreme ... so It's not always calculated by the user. I have found that a typical camera or scanner seems to be less sharp than it was 10 years ago, with no sign of improvement. Quality imaging is not a given. I would be curious to find out if they "upgraded" to something new, as they had seemed to be correcting their weakness in the scanning department. GOD BLESS...

... if it turns out I was wrong about the scan, I'm good for the $ 100 wager. 

I’m not saying it’s a great scan that looks like the book in hand,! —-  just that it doesn’t appear amped up, meaning unrealistically white or with saturated reds and yellows etc. as we see so often.  To get a great scan, you must have an eye and know how to manipulate what your scanner has created to work with... and understand RGB or CMYK color to know what to increase or reduce to achieve a realistic color palette.... and the book in hand to go by.  Takes time... too much for nearly every auction house or dealer. 

and most often, universal adjustments (curves, levels, auto brightness etc) just won’t be enough and you need to make selections to work on areas separately.  While being careful to not make the final image a Frankenstein of areas that don’t look right together.  I think it’s fun! Until a reach a point that I realize that the scan I’m working with just can’t be changed to match the book as I want it to.

56 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

6% apr on annual basis on the remaining balance after your 25% down with one month for free, so it works out to about 5.5  annual if you take the full year on the balances due that month. If you belong to a credit union you might be able to bet a much better rate but, you have nothing to lose you could put down  25% and at the end of the 30 days pay off the balance in full with no interest charge. If you pay with credit card  even if they ding you 2.5% and its interest free balance transfer that could be another way to go. We over 5000 OO GA books, so you have a lot of options available to you.

That’s the finance charge.  Using a credit card has an additional charge as opposed to wires or checks. 

16 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

I’m not saying it’s a great scan that looks like the book in hand,! —-  just that it doesn’t appear amped up, meaning unrealistically white or with saturated reds and yellows etc. as we see so often.  To get a great scan, you must have an eye and know how to manipulate what your scanner has created to work with... and understand RGB or CMYK color to know what to increase or reduce to achieve a realistic color palette.... and the book in hand to go by.  Takes time... too much for nearly every auction house or dealer. 

and most often, universal adjustments (curves, levels, auto brightness etc) just won’t be enough and you need to make selections to work on areas separately.  While being careful to not make the final image a Frankenstein of areas that don’t look right together.  I think it’s fun! Until a reach a point that I realize that the scan I’m working with just can’t be changed to match the book as I want it to.

The "fuzzy" resolution doesn't give me a lot of confidence either. GOD BLESS...