• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Timely said:

You are right. The owner of the 9.4 PL 17 must be very happy to have the 2nd Highest Graded Copy.

I sure it will be in the press next week, if not sooner!

Don't think the owner is happy about having the 2nd Highest Graded Copy now if they are a driven label collector.  :(

The one consolation for them though is that with the outrageous price acheived by the now highest graded Promise Copy, his own PL 17 boat might just have risen a lot, as opposed to being sunk by the Promise copy.  :applause:

As for your friend's raw Church copy of 'Tec 140, they are now actually in the very enviable position of possibly having the best of both worlds here, in terms of both status and value.  Especially if his still raw Church copy grades out higher (or possibly even equivalent to) than the Promise copy, this could actually catapult the value of his copy up above the $456K mark which it most probably would not have acheived if there was no Promise Collection to set the new baseline for him. hm  :wishluck:

My thinking is that the longer term GA collectors out there who are holding raw brand name pedigree books that might possibly grade out higher than their Promise Collection counterparts are probably seeing this as a big positive in terms of increasing the value of their own possibly higher graded pedigree books in their personal collection.  :banana:  :whee:

35 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:
38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

From one of the videos posted, it would appear that the extent of the knowledge they had was that the collection was pretty much in the G/VG condition grade range. lol  :takeit:

Gawd, I hope that's not true.  

Sounds as though you might have missed this YouTube video that was posted right here on this thread about a month ago:  :gossip:

I believe Brain W. from Heritage comments about the family's impression of the collection's condition starting at the 3:20 mark or thereabouts.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

13 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

IMO the 9.4 copy is nicer than the 9.6, which is miscut and has visible scuff marks.  The 9.4 owner should be ecstatic.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076147%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5Dpha1.215a.jpg

Ouch. 9.4 copy is the stunner.

Any history about provenience (where and when did that copy turn up for the first time)?

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From one of the videos posted, it would appear that the extent of the knowledge they had was that the collection was pretty much in the G/VG condition grade range. lol  :takeit:

The Heritage YouTube video also made clear that the heirs were the consignors of the collection, were made aware of the singular nature of the breadth and condition of it, and already had professional consultation on the tax implications of the consigned sale.

Finally, having attended the Heritage Signature auctions that brought to market the Billy Wright and Gary Dahlberg ('Twin Cities') pedigrees, in both cases the family heirs were in attendance for the floor bidding.  I imagine that option was made available to the inheritors of the Promise collection as well, and the story that they wished to remain anonymous makes perfect sense given the magnitude of the sale.

Edited by namisgr

6 hours ago, Pickie said:

Ouch. 9.4 copy is the stunner.

Any history about provenience (where and when did that copy turn up for the first time)?

This was part of a collection unearthed by CC and dubbed by them as the Phantom Lady Collection since it did not receive official CGC pedigree status,much like their Atlantic City Collection back in 2011 which yield the highest graded copies of both Action 10 and Action 13 at the time which both sold for stunning 6-figure prices, along with a slew of other books which I have now forgotten:  :gossip:   :luhv:

https://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1014?articleID=233399

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/839537

Edited by lou_fine

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Thanks! Wasn't aware of the "PL Collection"! Very dreamy ... Too bad the graders at CGC didn't have the scans of the PREVIOUS highest graded copy at hand either ... :insane: 

Besides that, can't wait for the next batch! :popcorn:

On 6/20/2021 at 4:37 AM, buttock said:
On 6/20/2021 at 4:27 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wow. I never knew any of this. Is this related to the parrino thing?

I think if this had any merit it would be in court instead of a D-level complaint website.  

Apparently, if I'm reading the court description correctly, there was some merit to Hughes' claim that went to arbitration and trail court with final adjudication by the Texas Court of Appeals. IMO, the event paints both Hughes and Heritage in seemingly bad light. Here's the verdict issued by the appellate court...

Re: Movie Poster House, Inc. v. Heritage Auctions, Inc. (morelaw.com)

8 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

Apparently, if I'm reading the court description correctly, there was some merit to Hughes' claim that went to arbitration and trail court with final adjudication by the Texas Court of Appeals. IMO, the event paints both Hughes and Heritage in seemingly bad light. Here's the verdict issued by the appellate court...

Re: Movie Poster House, Inc. v. Heritage Auctions, Inc. (morelaw.com)

Yeesh.  If I read this correctly Hughes defaulted on over a half a million dollar deal with HA.  Then when HA tried to get what was owed to them from what Hughes had promised, turns out he owed that to MPH.  Then MPH and HA went to court to figure out which of them got to keep proceeds from this inventory?  Hughes was just robbing peter to pay paul?  And then Hughes has the gall to say that HA didn't pay him when he defaulted on $600K to them???  Is that correct?

28 minutes ago, buttock said:

Yeesh.  If I read this correctly Hughes defaulted on over a half a million dollar deal with HA.  Then when HA tried to get what was owed to them from what Hughes had promised, turns out he owed that to MPH.  Then MPH and HA went to court to figure out which of them got to keep proceeds from this inventory?  Hughes was just robbing peter to pay paul?  And then Hughes has the gall to say that HA didn't pay him when he defaulted on $600K to them???  Is that correct?

You read this totally wrong. Ok, maybe not totally. But you are missing some pretty major stuff

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

15 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
41 minutes ago, buttock said:

You read this totally wrong. Ok, maybe not totally. But you are missing some pretty major stuff

Please explain in layman's terms. Thx. :popcorn:

5 minutes ago, buttock said:

Damn attorneys. 

Looks like Bill Hughes defaulted on big loan from a third party.

The third party tried to collect through some I guess garnishment order through Heritage for what they owed Bill but Heritage said that they were offsetting it again some fees that Bill owed them.  A subsequent audit determined that the fees may have been overcharged.

Then there is a somewhat separate issue where Heritage tried to offset monies owned to a company owned solely by Bill against Bill's fees but it was determined through arbitration that shouldn't have been allowed.

I lost track after that cuz I really didn't care especially it really doesn't have to do anything with this collection.

I'll defer to the real lawyers to explain it to me more specifically. 

27 minutes ago, greggy said:

Looks like Bill Hughes defaulted on big loan from a third party.

The third party tried to collect through some I guess garnishment order through Heritage for what they owed Bill but Heritage said that they were offsetting it again some fees that Bill owed them.  A subsequent audit determined that the fees may have been overcharged.

Then there is a somewhat separate issue where Heritage tried to offset monies owned to a company owned solely by Bill against Bill's fees but it was determined through arbitration that shouldn't have been allowed.

I lost track after that cuz I really didn't care especially it really doesn't have to do anything with this collection.

I'll defer to the real lawyers to explain it to me more specifically. 

I think that's the main issue.  I don't know how attorneys read this stuff.  I get distracted after half a sentence.  

1 hour ago, MasterChief said:

Please explain in layman's terms. Thx. :popcorn:

Yes, unfortuantely I am not aware of any lawyer who's willing to work for free yet:  lol

37 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

People should read for themselves