• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Guys, I'm not against working.  Its just I don't think an open forum like this is the place to discuss this.  I probably should have stayed out of it, but when another boardie ignored some pretty important stuff in the legal opinion, instead of counting to 10, I jumped in.  Consider me now having jumped back out.

Hey Clark;

We are just playing and having a happy time here, as we always love to make fun of the lawyers, doctors, and THE DENTIST lol on these boards here.  :)  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, buttock said:

Yeesh.  If I read this correctly Hughes defaulted on over a half a million dollar deal with HA.  Then when HA tried to get what was owed to them from what Hughes had promised, turns out he owed that to MPH.  Then MPH and HA went to court to figure out which of them got to keep proceeds from this inventory?  Hughes was just robbing peter to pay paul?  And then Hughes has the gall to say that HA didn't pay him when he defaulted on $600K to them???  Is that correct?

I'd suggest this perspective might make more sense: The dispute at issue in the linked opinion is appropos of exactly nothing of interest, unless you are a legal geek who wants to know about the enforceability of arbitration agreements and arbitration awards.  

In contrast, the factual background for the opinion is interesting because it discusses a different lawsuit against Heritage as follows:

Mauer then filed an application for writ of garnishment against Heritage because Hughes regularly bought and sold artwork, coins, movie posters, sports memorabilia, and other collectibles through Heritage and Hughes believed Heritage held many of the items secured by his UCC-1 security interest. Heritage filed its answer, alleging that any interest Hughes had in the collateral had been consumed by charges due Heritage. After a subsequent audit determined Heritage had engaged in a “systematic pattern of overcharging and other wrongful conduct,” Mauer sued Heritage in November 2009 for various causes of action, including fraud and civil conspiracy. 

And that's about all that is of interest.  Here's my caveats:  (1) This is about 2009, (2) the opinion does not say Heritage did that for all customers, just Hughes, and (3) we don't know from the limited info on this thread if the "audit" findings were confirmed as valid in the Mauer suit against Heritage (they may not have been).  

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

My lawyer bills me for at least fifteen minutes for every phone call, even if the phone call only lasts 30 seconds.

that was a long time ago in my career; tenths of an hour minimum for many, many years now.

5 hours ago, buttock said:
5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

People should read for themselves

I did and you said I got it wrong.  

Law briefs are about as understandable as a doctor's hand-written prescription.

41 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

depends who is drafting said brief.

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I'd suggest this perspective might make more sense: The dispute at issue in the linked opinion is appropos of exactly nothing of interest, unless you are a legal geek who wants to know about the enforceability of arbitration agreements and arbitration awards.  

In contrast, the factual background for the opinion is interesting because it discusses a different lawsuit against Heritage as follows:

And that's about all that is of interest.  Here's my caveats:  (1) This is about 2009, (2) the opinion does not say Heritage did that for all customers, just Hughes, and (3) we don't know from the limited info on this thread if the "audit" findings were confirmed as valid in the Mauer suit against Heritage (they may not have been).  

Small world.  I met Kenny Mauer about 25 years ago (he's a Minnesota native) at his place.  He showed me a few of his favorite movie posters which sparked my interest in them for a little while.  Fairly affable guy.

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

So talk at least 14 minutes.

Otherwise, it's like going to a buffet and getting only salad, soup and croutons.

This. I never rang my lawyer unless I had enough questions to extract the 15 minutes of value. I sometimes thought he wasn't all that keen on the full 14:50 of conversation. :D

37 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

New drop of Promise books on HA, some really nice ones

But much less of a "wow" factor than the first batch.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:30 PM, Mmehdy said:
On 6/19/2021 at 8:43 PM, VintageComics said:

I was asking what the previous Heritage comics auction record was to see what the multiplier was and to see what the correlation was with individual comic prices, which seem to have gone up from 2-5 X depending on the book.

Final Total was $22,426,901 with 100% sell thru...WOW I believe the previous record is 15 Million or a little above. Remember, this is one of the smaller auctions at 1224 Lots with previous actions probably averaging 1700-2000 items. however when Ha increased the Sign auctions from 4 to 6 the overall lots went down to around 1500,  you will need to factor in the number of items available at the auction also. I think it is clear that the new World Record price is even more impressive considering the smaller number of items available .it is pretty safe to say the that it is  7M more than any other one before it. Hope that helps and will be interested to read your numbers crunch.

So, what I was getting at (and maybe someone has these numbers recorded and easy to access) was what the average price for book might be for the last few auctions, including the last record breaking one.

For example, this auction averaged $18,000 per lot. :whatthe:

It would be interesting to compare previous auctions and see what they look like on a curve and compare them to what we've seen across the hobby in terms of growth.

Edited by VintageComics