• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do when your kids ask to have your duplicate collectibles?
2 2

60 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, umyeahwhatevers said:
4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

How old are your kids?

Preschool age.
Starting kindergarten this year.

Bagging leaves...hmm.  That's kind of perfect, at least for the fall.  That one crossed my mind but I thought it might be beyond their ability to concentrate, but if we're clear about FILLING the bag it might work.  What size bags?  I've always used 30-40 pound bags that are roughly their height, so are you having them fill smaller ones?  I thought those would be too big, but we could get smaller ones for kids.

Are there any other tasks you've thought of that smaller kids can do?

My Gf' broke her foot once and she was having her 4 and 6 year old girls help her carry in groceries.  The 4 year old muttered to me "we have to do everything".

14 minutes ago, kav said:

I had a 7th grade student masturbating in class while sexually assaulting female student.  Was this grounds for suspension?  No-it was grounds to send him back to class after 5 minutes.

It would have been a black day for my son if I had gotten a report like that. Would have been the same if I was the father of the little girl. This isn't a "Get Off My Lawn" thing. That's just an ignorant response to a problem that isn't GROWING. It's already HERE. This touchy-feely, non judgmental thing has gone too far.

Even here, right? We collect comic books. It's infantile but God help me I love it. When we look around for popular movies, they are either comic book related, cheap science fiction or children's fare. We never get Cannes related movies in the theater. Anything approaching those are preachy, gender related, feminism, men denigrating and propagandist pap to keep us in line. People bemoaning constant remakes? Where are all the good scripts, they cry? There are good scripts. They won't be made into movies because they don't fit the PC narrative.

Want a remake? Do a remake of "Wuthering Heights". Americans would blow a gasket trying to figure it out. LOL! Close as we can get to a Bronte movie is "Pride And Prejudice And Zombies". Remarkable.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

My Gf' broke her foot once and she was having her 4 and 6 year old girls help her carry in groceries.  The 4 year old muttered to me "we have to do everything".

Watch out. They have cell phones. Don't want them calling Child Protective Services on you.

4 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

It would have been a black day for my son if I had gotten a report like that. Would have been the same if I was the father of the little girl. This isn't a "Get Off My Lawn" thing. That's just an ignorant response to a problem that isn't GROWING. It's already HERE. This touchy-feely, non judgmental thing has gone too far.

Even here, right? We collect comic books. It's infantile but God help me I love it. When we look around for popular movies, they are either comic book related, cheap science fiction or children's fare. We never get Cannes related movies in the theater. Anything approaching those are preachy, gender related, feminism, men denigrating and propagandist pap to keep us in line. People bemoaning constant remakes? Where are all the good scripts, they cry? There are good scripts. They won't be made into movies because they don't fit the PC narrative.

Want a remake? Do a remake of "Wuthering Heights". Americans would blow a gasket trying to figure it out. LOL! Close as we can get to a Bronte movie is "Pride And Prejudice And Zombies". Remarkable.

To this day i wish i had told the vice principal "look, you need to deal with this and call the girl's parents.  If she goes home and tells her dad what happened and the school did not notify them, tomorrow you are going to have angry parents, cops, and a news crew show up".

6 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Also I know exactly what the boy's mom would have said i've heard it many times-"My son would never do that".

4 minutes ago, kav said:

To this day i wish i had told the vice principal "look, you need to deal with this and call the girl's parents.  If she goes home and tells her dad what happened and the school did not notify them, tomorrow you are going to have angry parents, cops, and a news crew show up".

I'm the type would would have broke protocol and told the girl's parents myself. At that moment, I would still have been a teacher responsible to the parents as far as sharing my observations. I'd be willing to lose my job over that. Then, my next call would be to the local tv news station to tell them WHY I got fired. Sure. It'd be uncomfortable and I imagine the blowback could be significant. But I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life knowing I should have done something that significant and didn't. It really DOES take a village. Even if the villagers come with pitchforks and torches.

I was in a situation a little like that. I watched a co-worker steal significant money from our employer. I told him to put it back. He laughed and didn't. Next day I asked him again. Same response. So, I told my employer what had happened. He was fired on the spot. MY problems began when my employer told all the OTHER employees what had happened and my peripheral involvement in it. Complete lack of discretion. THEN I was the company rat. Regardless that their jobs had been likely saved because this guy was exposed because of the nature of our work. If others had seen him stealing, it could have been the end of the company I worked for. But nah. That didn't matter. I was ostracized and I eventually left to start my own business.

People are very, very unpredictable.

4 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I'm the type would would have broke protocol and told the girl's parents myself. At that moment, I would still have been a teacher responsible to the parents as far as sharing my observations. I'd be willing to lose my job over that. Then, my next call would be to the local tv news station to tell them WHY I got fired. Sure. It'd be uncomfortable and I imagine the blowback could be significant. But I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life knowing I should have done something that significant and didn't. It really DOES take a village. Even if the villagers come with pitchforks and torches.

I was in a situation a little like that. I watched a co-worker steal significant money from our employer. I told him to put it back. He laughed and didn't. Next day I asked him again. Same response. So, I told my employer what had happened. He was fired on the spot. MY problems began when my employer told all the OTHER employees what had happened and my peripheral involvement in it. Complete lack of discretion. THEN I was the company rat. Regardless that their jobs had been likely saved because this guy was exposed because of the nature of our work. If others had seen him stealing, it could have been the end of the company I worked for. But nah. That didn't matter. I was ostracized and I eventually left to start my own business.

People are very, very unpredictable.

I've always been proud of being a rat.  I dont have 'thieves honor'.  You steal-I'll report.  dont steal.

1 hour ago, snitzer said:

Within reason, I let them both take and open whatever they wanted over the years (our attic is like Xmas 24/7). Now, the mistake I made...a few years back in Baltimore I bought my youngest a copy of Ultimate Fallout #4. He’s 13 now, knows how to use eBay, is great at math, and is pleading with me to get it slabbed so we can sell it 😂 

Teach him economics. The ups and the downs like fees and taxes. It’s good for him at any age. 

Just now, Randall Ries said:

Damned skippy. We don't always, but try to do the right thing even if it costs.

People tell me snitches get stitches I say this snitch gives stitches-

38 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Watch out. They have cell phones. Don't want them calling Child Protective Services on you.

My daughter threatened me with that once. I told her, fine, they might come take me away. But did she really think she would have the house to herself? No, they would take her to JV Hall or foster care...

If I had 2 Action #1's and my 5 year old wanted one to color on I would give it to him!  Just make sure CGC witnessed so it could go in SS slab!

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:
9 hours ago, umyeahwhatevers said:
12 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

How old are your kids?

Preschool age.
Starting kindergarten this year.

Bagging leaves...hmm.  That's kind of perfect, at least for the fall.  That one crossed my mind but I thought it might be beyond their ability to concentrate, but if we're clear about FILLING the bag it might work.  What size bags?  I've always used 30-40 pound bags that are roughly their height, so are you having them fill smaller ones?  I thought those would be too big, but we could get smaller ones for kids.

Another thing I thought of last night is intellectual tasks.  My daughter is a far more natural learner than my son.  She's been reading and writing her own name as well as the names of her immediate family since she was three, she learned her left from her right shoe well over a year ago, and I could keep going, but my son just shows no interest or patience in paying attention to details like that.  Everyone has their own interests and he's got plenty of strengths she doesn't have so I'm not worried about him at all, but I maybe I can fast-forward some of his development with ongoing incentives.  I could attach a price to learning some of those basic skills it's difficult to get him to focus on, and do something similar for her.

But maybe learning in exchange for reward is ultimately counter-productive.  The payoff for knowledge is almost always long-term, so attaching rewards to learning could inspire some weird backlash where he won't learn to do (insert idea or task here) unless he gets a short-term reward from it.  hm

Edited by fantastic_four

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:
8 hours ago, shadroch said:

I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by extra collectibles.

I've got an unboxed Thanos he plays with, and a boxed one of the same figure I picked up on clearance that I'm intending to sell at some point.  He asked for the boxed one.  So anything that's a duplicate of something you already have.  

Right now it's action figures, but in a few years it could also be comics that I have multiples of.

Was mulling it over and I went ahead and changed the thread title from "extra" collectibles to "duplicate" collectibles.  What I mean by "extra" was anything you no longer want, i.e. comics you upgraded the grade on, titles you've lost interest in, books you bought for pure investment purposes because the price was right, etc.  Duplicates are only a sub-set of things you intend to sell at some point and the word "extra" is broader, but it is also more confusing because it doesn't explicitly communicate in a single word that it's something you intend to sell.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Another thing I thought of last night is intellectual tasks.  My daughter is a far more natural learner than my son.  She's been reading and writing her own name as well as the names of her immediate family since she was three, she learned her left from her right shoe well over a year ago, and I could keep going, but my son just shows no interest or patience in paying attention to details like that.  Everyone has their own interests and he's got plenty of strengths she doesn't have so I'm not worried about him at all, but I maybe I can fast-forward some of his development with ongoing incentives.  I could attach a price to learning some of those basic skills it's difficult to get him to focus on, and do something similar for her.

But maybe learning in exchange for reward is ultimately counter-productive.  The payoff for knowledge is almost always long-term, so attaching rewards to learning could inspire some weird backlash where he won't learn to do (insert idea or task here) unless he gets a short-term reward from it.  hm

Meh...my significant other gave me another problem with this.  Not only does it encourage an expectation of short-term reward with learning, it also encourages a kid to think of learning something as a chore.  That's pretty much how he already looks at learning so it may just keep re-enforcing that mindset as opposed to showing him that learning is something that's enjoyable to do, which is how my daughter looks at learning.

Maybe if I give him the choice it would work.  So instead of me choosing the tasks, i.e. learn to write your name and put on your own shoes, I let HIM choose the knowledge it would have a better chance of working.  hm

Edited by fantastic_four

I would ask them to mind their own business.

Honestly, I would never ask my parents for something just because they have duplicates. "Hey, Dad, you have 5 amps. Can I have one?" Nah, I just wait until he offers one to me. He's in that stage of his life where he's becoming a minimalist, and is constantly offering his unused products to me and my brothers.

Edited by Angel of Death

I don't have duplicate comics so that won't be an issue. 

However I have had my son play with some of my toys. They are loose and I have only a couple so to see him play with them means more than keeping them tucked away (and they are maybe worth only $30-50 for the couple Joe vehicles I let him play with).

To answer the question, I would explain it to your son/daughter. Explain how you buy and sell and that while they are toys, they are worth more as collectibles. Train them young. My son understands that daddy's comics are not to be played with. He is turning 3 and I have my shelves right in the basement in plain view where he plays. "What if he goes through them someday or pulls them all out and destroys them!?!?!" Well, luckily my son seems very understanding of what I have told him. He is careful when I let him carry books out of the bins to be displayed (when we change up my display wall) and I told him he can look at whatever he wants if he asks. He used to like this more when he was between the ages of 1-2 but now is much more content with his own things. I also told him at a young age that I appreciate him helping me to protect these books. Making sure others are careful with and know not to play near them (this has not be so much an issue as COVID has largely prevented play dates from happening and young kids roaming our house).

Toys might be a harder one to deal with though. But I think if you involve your child and make it seem like they are a part of protecting or helping the collection in some miniscule way, they can appreciate it. Plus, maybe you set the expectation that once in a while, they can open an older toy (surely there are some cheapo toys that are really worth more played with than sitting in a box for 30 more years at which point they MAY be worth 50 bucks). That is how I felt about my couple loose Joe vehicles and my two He Man vehicles. My son loves them and they get played with every other day at least. That puts a smile on my face more than me pulling them out of a box, staring at them and then returning them to said box.

I think the biggest thing is to not be afraid to say no to your child. My son has wanted to open a few of my figures and I told him they are daddy's and for looking and we can do that whenever he wants. We did for a while but he got bored and focuses on his own toys.

Edited by comicginger1789

19 hours ago, wisbyron said:

I anticipated that kind of response because I know people that do have kids find non-children having people to be very audacious in their predictions. However, I assure you that any child of mine is not going to have open access to video games and devices at a young age. I'm sorry that offends you; I didn't say it wouldn't take parental effort, but it is entirely possible. It's up to the adult to give a kid a device at the dinner table, not the kid. It's up to the adult to put video screens on the backs of their front seats to keep a child quiet and docile on a long drive; I am going to ignore both of these things and I work with young children every week and have helped to raise my cousins so I have confidence that I can at least attempt these things, thanks. My decisions with my offspring are no judgment about what other people do in raising their kids, which is the real thing that provokes this response from you.

We kept our son away from screens (other than to call his grandparents) until he was one and a half. The biggest challenge is for YOU to not be on said devices. Monkey see, monkey do. If you cannot put down your phone/TV/video games and your kids see this, good luck preventing them from being involved with those things. But you are right, it is totally doable in terms of limiting. Our son has no issues, so long as I give a warning, that in 5 minutes his time is up regardless of whether he is finished or not. We limit our 3 year old to an hour max per day (more on days if we Facetime grandparents). No screens at the table is totally doable (he has never had this) and he picked if he wants morning TV or night TV. He chose morning so that is his routine to wake and watch 30-40 minutes. At bedtime, during these times, we watch a 5 minute video (something educational, like wildlife related or Blippi who he loves) and then we read books. I plan on keeping this routine and structure as long as we can. 

22 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Large heavy duty bags.
We rake them together.  Well...he basically moves the leaves around into 'piles' using his adult sized rake.
Afterward someone holds the bag and someone fills it.
(we alternate)
Always making sure he can carry the bag to the trash.
He know enough to not just grab into piles of leaves due to garden snakes, so they always 'bash' the piles with the rake first.
Just trying to teach simple skills.
He also 'helps' with mowing and watering the lawn by directing me to areas that need help.
He also helps with packaging eBay sales by being the packing peanut person or helping me decide which books to sell / keep.
Honestly speaking, I would have never thought to buy / invest in an Ultimate Fallout #4 back in 2019 had he not asked to be Miles Morales for Halloween and told me Miles is his favorite Spider-Man.
So now I kinda of use him as a gauge for what could be the next generation's superheroes.

Edited by umyeahwhatevers