• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How best to display cut out newspaper comic strips UPDATE
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I purchased a lot of nearly 100 Amazing Spider-man comic strips cut out of newspapers from the early to mid 1970's. All of them from Stan Lee and John Romita. I thought they would be cool to have but I like to know how to better display them. They were in an old 70's era magnetic photo album. I removed them and put 3-4 each in a regular comic bag and board.

Any ideas on how to properly display them would be appreciated.

IMG_0576 (2).JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

Edited by mytastebud
Update title and progression pictures

Thanks for the compliment. Just the pressure from the matte board against the glass and the frame backer holds them in place. With multiple strips you might need some kind of tape to stop them from moving while putting the backing on the frame. You could also have a professional  matte and frame them but it’s a lot more expensive.

I visited a friend who had mounted cut out strips. He used archival tissue (spider-tissue?) as the backing. The tissue helped prevent slippage.

Then, he had some where the glass was right on top of the strip, holding it in place. Or, a nicely cut matte holding it onto the tissue. Good luck and post your pictures when you have it done.

Edited by innocuous
typo

I went ahead in my amateur attempt at displaying the strips. I've enlisted the help of my daughter whose an artist. She did the Spidey head. I was able to fit around 40 strips using a frame I already had and two sided tape. The board I put it on is some type of artist paper or backing. I will post pictures once we add all of the art along the border. But here are two...

Any thoughts on what to draw along the 2 1/2 top border? and a 2" right border?

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

Edited by mytastebud
typos