• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Am Providence: The H.P. Lovecraft Thread
3 3

272 posts in this topic

Now, where was I before the interruption...

Oh, yes.  Arkham Sampler #1, from Winter 1948.  Two Lovecraft pieces in here, in addition to the cover-mentioned "Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" there's the "History and Chronology of the Necronomicon", which is really just the History of the Necronomicon with Derleth sprinkling in some unnecessary additions.  This issue (and all the issues with Lovecraft material) had a print run of 1200 copies.

On a personal note, my run of the Arkham Sampler remains one of my all-time lucky eBay wins.  The whole run turned up for auction in nice shape as a set, I placed a bid of $100 or so that I knew had no chance at all to win, but I would kick myself if it somehow went for less that.  Then the final price was only $51, to this day I have no idea why only one other person bid.

Arkham_Sampler_1.jpg

53 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Now, where was I before the interruption...

Oh, yes.  Arkham Sampler #1, from Winter 1948.  Two Lovecraft pieces in here, in addition to the cover-mentioned "Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" there's the "History and Chronology of the Necronomicon", which is really just the History of the Necronomicon with Derleth sprinkling in some unnecessary additions.  This issue (and all the issues with Lovecraft material) had a print run of 1200 copies.

On a personal note, my run of the Arkham Sampler remains one of my all-time lucky eBay wins.  The whole run turned up for auction in nice shape as a set, I placed a bid of $100 or so that I knew had no chance at all to win, but I would kick myself if it somehow went for less that.  Then the final price was only $51, to this day I have no idea why only one other person bid.

Arkham_Sampler_1.jpg

Wow amazing deal!

On 6/9/2021 at 12:54 PM, OtherEric said:

The Lurking Fear, from 1947.  It's interesting, Lovecraft actually got four popularly priced editions during the 40's, plus a Armed Services Edition.  But as far as I'm aware there were no popularly priced editions in the US during the 50's.

Avon_136.jpg

As an Avon PB fanatic, every time I see this cover I chuckle because it's A. R. Tilburne's only famous cover, and a memorable one at that, but he completely lifted the demon from Finlay's July 1939 WT cover

20210611_211539.jpg.35f141b7c022b3aa5345aaf22c116e29.jpg

(not my copy)

The Weird Tales anniversary issue from March 1948.  The Lovecraft entry is a poem, "The House", which had previously only appeared in an amateur magazine in 1920.  Weird Tales did a genuinely impressive job at getting creators for their 25th anniversary, and I find it touching that they gave Lovecraft a place of honor on the cover despite having the only reprint in the issue, when Hamilton, Derleth, and Sturgeon didn't make the cover despite having new stories.  Although I could see some of them (Derleth in particular) wanting to give their slot on the cover to Lovecraft.

Weird_Tales_1948_03.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
corrected date

On 6/11/2021 at 3:01 PM, OtherEric said:

I remember this one, and I can at least tell you why I didn't bid.

The same seller had been listing a bunch of pulps in the weeks before, and I scored a few good deals early on, but at some point people caught on and all the auctions were drawing significant bids. I couldn't keep up, and when the Arkham Sampler set came up I didn't even try, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I was happy when I saw a boardie got it though, and I've been enjoying it vicariously through your posts. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, htp said:

I remember this one, and I can at least tell you why I didn't bid.

The same seller had been listing a bunch of pulps in the weeks before, and I scored a few good deals early on, but at some point people caught on and all the auctions were drawing significant bids. I couldn't keep up, and when the Arkham Sampler set came up I didn't even try, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I was happy when I saw a boardie got it though, and I've been enjoying it vicariously through your posts. Thanks!

Thank you.  It really does take a little of the sting out when another boardie gets the win you missed... although 99% of the time I'm the one seeing the other boardie win the book I was looking for, not the other way around!

August 1948 Arkham Sampler, with the fourth and final installment of "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath".  Somewhat surprisingly, there was no Lovecraft material in the last four issues of the Arkham Sampler, so this is the last issue I'll post here.

Arkham_Sampler_4.jpg

35 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

August 1948 Arkham Sampler, with the fourth and final installment of "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath".  Somewhat surprisingly, there was no Lovecraft material in the last four issues of the Arkham Sampler, so this is the last issue I'll post here.

Arkham_Sampler_4.jpg

Any credits on the cover design? It's nicely done.

4 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Avon Fantasy Reader 8, December 1948, with a reprint of "The Temple".

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_08.jpg

I never realized how much work Bradbury did that appeared in these pulp and digests. I regret not meeting him; as I I had a chance to one time as he was lunching on the patio at work with some folks. Also an old landlady belonged to a writer's group that he used to attend so he was pretty accessible.

Avon Fantasy Reader #10, from July 1949, with a reprint of "The Statement of Randolph Carter".  I'm not sure if it's the first Lovecraft story I read, but it's the first I remember reading.  The ending absolutely should not work, trying to describe it it sounds like farce.  But somehow Lovecraft manages to turn it into a genuinely creepy and stunning moment.

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_10.jpg

On 6/17/2021 at 10:21 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks for the daily posts Eric; it's a part of my morning now and a nice quick diversion from all consuming Zoom calls for work!!

Glad you're enjoying them!  Sadly, I've only got a couple weeks more worth of books to do. 

Today I'm backtracking, this one really should have been between the second and third issues of The Arkham Sampler.  But I didn't get the book until last night.

Avon Fantasy Reader 6, from May 1948, with a reprint of "Beyond the Wall of Sleep".  ISFDB doesn't have a credit for the cover, anybody know who it might be?

Avon_Fantasy_Reader_06.jpg