• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spider-man 300
4 4

34 posts in this topic

I'm a total newbie at this, but I wanna have a crack at it, I feel like with the tear, the dents across the top of the BC and the couple of spine ticks, it's probably in the 8.0 range? I wouldn't take my word for it, wait to hear from the pros, I just wanted to put my guess out there. Great copy overall, presents beautifully on the FC

10 minutes ago, Devin Colman said:

I'm a total newbie at this, but I wanna have a crack at it, I feel like with the tear, the dents across the top of the BC and the couple of spine ticks, it's probably in the 8.0 range? I wouldn't take my word for it, wait to hear from the pros, I just wanted to put my guess out there. Great copy overall, presents beautifully on the FC

I was thinking around an 8.0 too...it has a really nice sheen and it's flat

1 hour ago, MPH1964 said:

Yep, tears are bad...

From research in CGC chat boards..that is a matter entirely of opinion ..doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on tears and from what little evidence people have shown, it would not be anymore than a 0.5 to 1.0 grade reduction from CGC (for a 1/4" tear), especially on the back cover. Found this too on youtube. PGX gave ASM 7 with multiple back tears and large creases plus a half inch tear  (puncture wound) a 7.5. CGC gave a 9.0 to a Tales to astonish book with a quarter inch tear on spine (had other imperfections including a good sized moisture stain)

Edited by Ed Hanes

1 hour ago, Ed Hanes said:

From research in CGC chat boards..that is a matter entirely of opinion ..doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on tears and from what little evidence people have shown, it would not be anymore than a 0.5 to 1.0 grade reduction from CGC (for a 1/4" tear), especially on the back cover. Found this too on youtube. PGX gave ASM 7 with multiple back tears and large creases plus a half inch tear  (puncture wound) a 7.5. CGC gave a 9.0 to a Tales to astonish book with a quarter inch tear on spine (had other imperfections including a good sized moisture stain)

Well, I understand your argument, and you make a good point regarding grade reduction.  But just a half grade difference can literally mean 100’s or even 1000’s of dollars in the value of the book.  In the case of ASM 300, just a half grade drop from 7.5 to 7.0 is $125.  Using your TTA example:  For Tales to Astonish 27 (I understand that this likely isn’t the issue you were describing, so please forgive my whimsical bit of hyperbole) a grade drop from 9.2 to 9.0 is $200,000.  So a small grade drop (due to a tear or otherwise) is not necessarily insignificant.  So, I stand by my statement:  Tears are bad. (And perhaps in some cases, really bad.)

Disclaimer:  No comics were harmed in the typing of this statement.

Well, I didn't say tears 'weren't' bad..I was implying that it depends on the situation.  Tears 'could' be bad, for sure...but it  depends ..which is the point I was trying to make and I think is a very important distinction in communication regarding comic book grading. 'Tears are bad' just doesn't convey useful information..although, your follow up response is much more useful. Lots of things can drop a grade from 9.2 to 9.0 or 9.0 to 8.5 or 8.0 to 7.5 ..so, IDK how much a quarter inch tear really effects the grading...it's definitely not spelled out anywhere. Seems to be more of a personal choice for people and a proprietary decision for CGC (meaning, they don't want to tell us how it effects the grading)

Edited by Ed Hanes

I'm a 7.5 thought could be a 7, not exactly sure the math on tears..  Think this book is an 8.5 if the tear wasn't there, maybe a 9 if a press worked out well.  BC tear like that I think a point or so deduction is fair.  If it was on the front then maybe you'd be looking in the 6s.

3 minutes ago, Ed Hanes said:

I think I may send it in as is just so we can all have a good case study of what a tear like this represents. Can't find any similar examples online. 

:popcorn:

Good luck...I had an ASM 129 with a similar tear on the FC that was graded at 7.0 that I thought presented slightly nicer than your book and thus my guess of 6.5 ) I hope it finds itself in the vf range...we tend to be conservative around here, except @Deadpoolica who's always seems to be spot on ( no pressure :foryou: )

15 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

:popcorn:

Good luck...I had an ASM 129 with a similar tear on the FC that was graded at 7.0 that I thought presented slightly nicer than your book and thus my guess of 6.5 ) I hope it finds itself in the vf range...we tend to be conservative around here, except @Deadpoolica who's always seems to be spot on ( no pressure :foryou: )

DeadPoolica is  not always  spot on ..he or she has undervalued greatly on a couple grades that have already come in. Predicted a 3.5 on ASM`14 that turned out to be a 5.0. Predicted a 7.5 on anASM 121 (9.0)..and that's just from what I noticed just doing research on a couple books for grades that have come in. I bet if you looked at each person's grading standard deviation, deadpoolica would be about the same as a lot of people..no offense deadpoolica 

Edited by Ed Hanes