• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2021 at 4:51 PM, lou_fine said:

Actually, this book here doesn't really bothered me that much as it wasn't graded into the 9's at least, even though if this book was not part of the Promise Collection and not submitted in by Heritage, it probably would not come back with this high of a grade considering the clear visual defect.  Any bets that if it had been simply submitted in on a random basis by a no-name collector like me, it would not surprising to see it down into the 6's or possibly into the 7's at best. hm

Then again, I am sure that they probably attributed this to a production related defect from a mouse found at the printing plant.  :devil:  :censored:

Hey, who doesn't like a chunk taken out of their 9.4? (apologies if already posted!)

Fight Comics #44 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fiction House, | Lot #96097 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

On 8/24/2021 at 6:47 PM, Legion of Goom said:

Hey, who doesn't like a chunk taken out of their 9.4? (apologies if already posted!)

Fight Comics #44 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fiction House, | Lot #96097 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

:(

062FF523-517F-4B4F-90B9-805259903B0E.jpeg

On 8/24/2021 at 12:43 AM, lou_fine said:

So, are you really saying that Silver Surfer 4 will be one of the next ones to hit 6-figures, considering that this copy here sold for $90K in the last Heritage Auction:    hm  :wishluck:

On 8/24/2021 at 6:50 AM, B2D327 said:

Finding a buyer willing to spend that kind of scratch is gonna be very limited but possible depending on the other 23 on the census and those may not be pedigree copies making this one the outlier. I don’t see it happening anytime soon but I wouldn’t be surprised with how crazy things have gotten.

Well, looks like it won't take us that long to find out as it's now only 2 more sleeps until we see where this copy of Surfer 4 finishes up at::popcorn: :taptaptap:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2021aug%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dsurfer%2B4%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1503177&id=1503177&itemType=0#detail

RADDF3C22021811_143849.jpg

Sitting at only $23,250 which is a long ways from $90K, but still lots of time to go and with that CVA Exceptional sticker, this copy should have no problems hitting 6-figures if we assume that Heritage copy auctioned off in June wasn't shilled bid all the way up to $90K.  :devil:

On 8/25/2021 at 6:50 AM, Amazeron said:

I like the pedigree label and how it exhibits these GA beauties, and some minor grading exceptions should be allowed for books almost a century old. However, this book pushes the envelope a bit to much when it comes to getting a grade above a 9.0. A piece out is still a flaw major enough to take away from the overall presentation. 

When a grading scale is applied, a book’s true grade matters. Corners shouldn’t be cut. (Literally and figuratively)

Jason Ewert's business model begs to differ with you...

that silver surfer doesnt look anything like a 9.8 either.  pedigrees are always graded generously. i dont understand the concept.  just because its the nicest copy out there doesnt mean it gets a 9.8. so what if the highest copy of something that exists is 9.0.  it is what it is. its why ill never pay a surcharge just because its slabbed.

I personally feel that a lot of questionable 9.8's would be more acceptable in that grade if CGC wasn't so stingy with giving out 9.9's. I think most of us have become comfortable with 9.8's being the be-all end-all. I see one seemingly perfect, razor sharp new release after another only receiving a 9.8 which yes, when you put side by side with something like the Silver Surfer in this thread, pulls the Silver Surfer down, when it's that brand new release that really should be pushed up instead. Hope that makes sense.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:51 PM, PKJ said:

Watching what those IH 181’s just ended for on CL further illustrates softening on that book. 

I saw the 9.6 OW/W with nearly perfect centering sold for $25,001.  That's significantly down from the highs of several months ago (two 9.6 WPs sold on Heritage in April for $33,600 and $31,200) but in line with the $25,507 sale of a 9.6 WP on ComicLink in late July.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:51 PM, PKJ said:

Watching what those IH 181’s just ended for on CL further illustrates softening on that book. 

Looks like this CGC 9.8 graded copy just close at $86K earlier tonight:  (thumbsu

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1504661

00000162398000113838865001.jpg

So, are you saying recent CGC 9.8 graded copies of Hulk 181 have been selling at consistently higher price points then this?  ???

On 8/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, classicaaron said:

that silver surfer doesnt look anything like a 9.8 either.

On 8/25/2021 at 12:30 PM, Amazing Cider-Man said:

I personally feel that a lot of questionable 9.8's would be more acceptable in that grade if CGC wasn't so stingy with giving out 9.9's.

After looking at so many of the Promise Collection scans consigned by Heritage which other boardies have posted with nosebleed high grades and yet exhibiting clear visual defects, exactly what are you guys seeing wrong with this Silver Surfer 4 to say that it is not a CGC 9.8 worthy book?  ???

Especially when you have to realize that grading is still really nothing more than a subjective opinion (albeit a so-called expert one) at a particular point in time when it crosses a grader's table.  Grading is definitely nowhere close to an exact science, and as such, it is normal to expect an acceptable grading margin of error.  The main concern which I have here is that their margin of error definitely appears to be rather quite wide right now, especially in the case of the Promise Collection books.  :fear:

Which then raises the question of why some bidders would pay multiples more for a book that might be graded only 1 or 2 increments higher, but then again, more power to them for having that kind of faith since I guess it's really a case of to each their own.  (thumbsu

On 8/26/2021 at 1:31 AM, lou_fine said:

Looks like this CGC 9.8 graded copy just close at $86K earlier tonight:  (thumbsu

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1504661

00000162398000113838865001.jpg

So, are you saying recent CGC 9.8 graded copies of Hulk 181 have been selling at consistently higher price points then this?  ???

That book did well, although there was not a glut of 9.8 enter the market during the high's. Certainly the highlight of the group.

I was reflecting on the other copies, the 9.6 as noted by Sweetlou.

The 9.0 at 9K against a high of $15k

The 8.5 at $7900 against a high of 12K

The 8.0 also at $7900 against a high of $10k

The 7.5 did seem to hold at $6750, still down from the 10K high

Same with the 7.0 held to current prices but $5800 against a high of 9k

The two that I did really notice were the 5.5 and the 5.0. The 5.5 went for $3900 with recent sales in the 5K range and the 5.0 at $3600 with recent sales above 5k.

That was more specifically what I noticed. That book was selling on Instagram and Facebook for higher than the GPA numbers in May-July.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:22 AM, PKJ said:

That book did well, although there was not a glut of 9.8 enter the market during the high's. Certainly the highlight of the group.

I was reflecting on the other copies, the 9.6 as noted by Sweetlou.

The 9.0 at 9K against a high of $15k

The 8.5 at $7900 against a high of 12K

The 8.0 also at $7900 against a high of $10k

The 7.5 did seem to hold at $6750, still down from the 10K high

Same with the 7.0 held to current prices but $5800 against a high of 9k

The two that I did really notice were the 5.5 and the 5.0. The 5.5 went for $3900 with recent sales in the 5K range and the 5.0 at $3600 with recent sales above 5k.

That was more specifically what I noticed. That book was selling on Instagram and Facebook for higher than the GPA numbers in May-July.

While I agree prices have softened it seems as though books that had a meteoric rise have retreated a bit. Books that didn’t explode but saw nice gains from beginning of the year haven’t really had much of a drop if at all. 

also it seems as Bronze Age is where most of the pain presently is. 

lastly I think part of the problem with the 181s that closed were they were all? Or mostly all ow/w pages. At 9.0 or above a lot of buyers only want white pages. 

I believe the highest recorded 181 9.6 sale was in May for 35,000 and it had off-white pages. There were probably a few that were sold off eBay as many listings around that time were ended early with reasons such as the item is no longer available or there's an error in the listing.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:46 AM, lou_fine said:

After looking at so many of the Promise Collection scans consigned by Heritage which other boardies have posted with nosebleed high grades and yet exhibiting clear visual defects, exactly what are you guys seeing wrong with this Silver Surfer 4 to say that it is not a CGC 9.8 worthy book?  ???

Especially when you have to realize that grading is still really nothing more than a subjective opinion (albeit a so-called expert one) at a particular point in time when it crosses a grader's table.  Grading is definitely nowhere close to an exact science, and as such, it is normal to expect an acceptable grading margin of error.  The main concern which I have here is that their margin of error definitely appears to be rather quite wide right now, especially in the case of the Promise Collection books.  :fear:

Which then raises the question of why some bidders would pay multiples more for a book that might be graded only 1 or 2 increments higher, but then again, more power to them for having that kind of faith since I guess it's really a case of to each their own.  (thumbsu

I had a feeling someone would misinterpret the point I was trying to make. Apologies if the message wasn't clear. I'm not saying the Surfer isn't a worthy 9.8 and I agree with you. What I'm saying is I can see why people would question certain 9.8's when you put them side by side with a brand new, razor sharp release that receives the same grade..This isn't because the Surfer isn't worthy, it is, but if 9.9's weren't such a rarity maybe we'd stop treating 9.8 as king and nitpicking some books that receive them. . ..

On 8/26/2021 at 10:17 AM, Amazing Cider-Man said:

I had a feeling someone would misinterpret the point I was trying to make. Apologies if the message wasn't clear. I'm not saying the Surfer isn't a worthy 9.8 and I agree with you. What I'm saying is I can see why people would question certain 9.8's when you put them side by side with a brand new, razor sharp release that receives the same grade..This isn't because the Surfer isn't worthy, it is, but if 9.9's weren't such a rarity maybe we'd stop treating 9.8 as king and nitpicking some books that receive them. . ..

We'd just shift the nitpicking to another grade.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:17 AM, Amazing Cider-Man said:

I had a feeling someone would misinterpret the point I was trying to make. 

Of course, Lou never misses the chance to drop a deuce on CGC, "label chasers" (i.e. CGC's customers), money-makers, supporting industries, etc.,. :screwy:

The Silver Surfer 4 in 9.8 is an amazing collectible, wish it was mine. 

On 8/26/2021 at 10:48 AM, valiantman said:

We'd just shift the nitpicking to another grade.

Can't argue that. The thing is, a 9.8 isn't perfect and books like that Surfer are worthy. It's more about elevating other books to that next level. The odds of receiving a worthy 9.9 should vastly improve on an uncirculated book that came out on Wednesday.