• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,343 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 12:11 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

FF 1 and Hulk 1 have gotten a covid bump, not like DD 1 and X-men 1, but yeah I agree there is still room to grow.

Great time to buy in to GSX #1, Hulk 181, and X-Men 1 again.  It's very obvious when MCU announces the casting for the new films the books will heat once again and push higher than May/June 2021 highs.  MCU and Disney have yet to even promote these characters, wait till you see the consumer frenzy when they do.  A lot of green arrows pointing upward on GPA that day! :whistle:

I agree. I purchased 3 copies of X-MEN #1 during the recent hype period (I just happened to have the cash to do so and was already in the market for them, so...). I'd be losing plenty of $$$ if I were to sell them today, but I have faith it will look like a good decision once the X-MEN/MUTANTS make their MCU appearance. 

I'm patient. The plan wasn't for a quick flip.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:59 PM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I agree. I purchased 3 copies of X-MEN #1 during the recent hype period (I just happened to have the cash to do so and was already in the market for them, so...). I'd be losing plenty of $$$ if I were to sell them today, but I have faith it will look like a good decision once the X-MEN/MUTANTS make their MCU appearance. 

I'm patient. The plan wasn't for a quick flip.

Love that you saw the light after being so bearish on comics during our last pre-pandemic conversation 🥰

The Consortium approves 👍

On 8/18/2021 at 6:41 AM, HotKey said:

A 9.6 UF4 four letter word that I can't show a pic of is on IG for $849. I got $1,150 trade value for mine 3 months ago.

Supply demand.

Price went up - market flooded.

9.8's are just stabilising and are just creeping up ever so slightly.

9.6 + 9.4 are still sliding.

People will stop listing, and off we go again.

I know there are a lot slabbed, but when a live action MM movie gets done - these prices will be cheap ( and yes I do have some for open disclosure)

A lot of 'hot' books are cooling quickly, whilst blue chip books continue the cycle of hot/cold.

AF #15 was dead 12 months ago, according to some - $42K for a 3.5, $30K for a 2.5 and $24K for a 0.5 (WTF??) suggest otherwise.

So now X-Men #1 is having a cooling off.

It happens.

Blue-Chip books are safe.

Movie Books - not so much. Mephisto anyone?

Incidentally - Walking Dead #1 in 9.8 has taken an surprising downward trend - I thought $4K was a bit strong (the $5K one was an outlier) - but 3 shows (admittedly one ruined, one very average, and one totally ) , a really great comic - (at least for the first half), and not ever on free-to-air TV, would make it a solid $3,500 book. It should be anyway IMHO.

Now $2.5k. Any reason?

Capture.JPG.32cb078d17bf5f0a3b30d3222d898ea8.JPG

A good time to buy?

On 8/18/2021 at 6:03 PM, dikran1 said:

Love that you saw the light after being so bearish on comics during our last pre-pandemic conversation 🥰

The Consortium approves 👍

I LOVE the X-Men and I'm always on the lookout for reasonably (they were at the time of purchase) priced big keys. I can use them to trade for other big books, or sell them when the X-MEN appear in the MCU. I'll keep my highest grade copy for myself (maybe). My opinions about the hobby and market have not changed one bit since the discussion in question.

Sorry to let the consortium down. :wink:

On 8/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, Beige said:

Supply demand.

Price went up - market flooded.

9.8's are just stabilising and are just creeping up ever so slightly.

9.6 + 9.4 are still sliding.

People will stop listing, and off we go again.

I know there are a lot slabbed, but when a live action MM movie gets done - these prices will be cheap ( and yes I do have some for open disclosure)

Yep, that's seem to the cycle with books. Something heats up and the market gets flooded soon after, causing prices to drop. Some time later the same book heats up again and we start the cycle again.

And yes, the next movie, animated or live action, will light the flame once more for UF4. I am however skeptical about how high it can reach now. Soooo many copies are out there and have been graded. I guess it comes down to how slowly the hoarders release copies on the market. That's another aspect of the market: controlling supply.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:59 PM, Beige said:

A lot of 'hot' books are cooling quickly, whilst blue chip books continue the cycle of hot/cold.

AF #15 was dead 12 months ago, according to some - $42K for a 3.5, $30K for a 2.5 and $24K for a 0.5 (WTF??) suggest otherwise.

So now X-Men #1 is having a cooling off.

It happens.

Blue-Chip books are safe.

Movie Books - not so much. Mephisto anyone?

Incidentally - Walking Dead #1 in 9.8 has taken an surprising downward trend - I thought $4K was a bit strong (the $5K one was an outlier) - but 3 shows (admittedly one ruined, one very average, and one totally ) , a really great comic - (at least for the first half), and not ever on free-to-air TV, would make it a solid $3,500 book. It should be anyway IMHO.

Now $2.5k. Any reason?

Capture.JPG.32cb078d17bf5f0a3b30d3222d898ea8.JPG

A good time to buy?

Wow that has dropped again....i guess you buy if you are a fan.  I wouldn't. Pretty much stopped watching the show and books a few years ago.  Got tired of them.... meanwhile,  invincible I finished and still reread. 

On 8/18/2021 at 8:59 PM, Beige said:

I have 2800 comics in my CLZ app. Mostly Silver Age, with all the major Marvel SA keys. It's a great way to see a Dow Jones like index of comics. 

Prices are definitely cooling off and the blue chippers are bouncing around a bit. I think the year will end with everything being up 30% for me, but a lot of that is from about 25 key books. 

On 8/19/2021 at 8:00 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

I have 2800 comics in my CLZ app. Mostly Silver Age, with all the major Marvel SA keys. It's a great way to see a Dow Jones like index of comics. 

Prices are definitely cooling off and the blue chippers are bouncing around a bit. I think the year will end with everything being up 30% for me, but a lot of that is from about 25 key books. 

What's clz app? 

On 8/19/2021 at 12:43 PM, Poekaymon said:

TWD is as dead to me as GOT after season 8.  The last few seasons of TWD were hot garbage--they should have closed it out around S5-S6 like Breaking Bad.  I can't be the only one who thinks that way, and some of that bitterness is no doubt (perhaps unfairly) hurting the book.

There ya go. That supports what I think. However, I think the first few seasons were "hot garbage." But, overall, I think it's a quite mediocre TV show. I'm curious to see how it wraps up though, as I never finished the comic book series, which might explain why I enjoy the recent seasons--lots of unknown.

I just sold a set of X-Men 1 connecting covers, all 9.8, for $200/each. Based on reading the comments here, I don't know if I should feel bad about it, or if I found the guy who was born during that legendary minute. I have four more 9.8 sets, so I'm not complaining either way, it just feels weird.

On 8/19/2021 at 2:56 PM, BabaLament said:

I just sold a set of X-Men 1 connecting covers, all 9.8, for $200/each. Based on reading the comments here, I don't know if I should feel bad about it, or if I found the guy who was born during that legendary minute. I have four more 9.8 sets, so I'm not complaining either way, it just feels weird.

At this point, I wouldn't feel too bad, as I feel nothing can be too "rationalized" with current standings lol 

If it was just too much profit, remember a charity :foryou: 

Still free will is :whatthe: sometimes, as long as your not over the top trying to convince the buyer :tink: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM