• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,344 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2021 at 4:34 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think there is also a widening gap between adjacent grades.  It used to be a decent rule of thumb that a 9.8 will fetch twice what a 9.6 gets, and a 9.6 in turn about double a 9.4.  Depending on the book, and the scarcity of the upper grades, that gap can be much more extreme.

2005 called, said it wants its 2x multiples back :baiting:... but seriously that 2x multiple for the .2 jump in grade hasn't been a thing for many years. At least not between 9.6 and 9.8

On 8/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, BabaLament said:

I just sold a set of X-Men 1 connecting covers, all 9.8, for $200/each. Based on reading the comments here, I don't know if I should feel bad about it, or if I found the guy who was born during that legendary minute. I have four more 9.8 sets, so I'm not complaining either way, it just feels weird.

I donated all 50 copies I had a few years back when they were regularly selling for around $30 in 9.8. Every other book I've slabbed that I bought off the shelf back in the day has come back as 9.8 so I'm pretty sure most of those 50 would have as well. But I thought "who would pay more than $30 for one of these, they's millions of them out there".... :facepalm:

@ADAMANTIUMBuyer is doing an X-Men themed bedroom re-theme for his kid & asked if I had anything "good." The kid is 10, so he wasn't looking to spend for keys as wall decor, but wanted something graded + a bunch of reader copies for the kid to actually read. Was happy to oblige. @LordRahlLoL! I know; I have a bunch of the things. They move though! Raw, graded, doesn't matter, they still move, and quick too.

On 8/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, BabaLament said:

@ADAMANTIUMBuyer is doing an X-Men themed bedroom re-theme for his kid & asked if I had anything "good." The kid is 10, so he wasn't looking to spend for keys as wall decor, but wanted something graded + a bunch of reader copies for the kid to actually read. Was happy to oblige. @LordRahlLoL! I know; I have a bunch of the things. They move though! Raw, graded, doesn't matter, they still move, and quick too.

Awesome, I hadn't checked, but sounds it was close to the going price! ^^

So no worries mate ;)

On 8/19/2021 at 5:20 PM, LordRahl said:

2005 called, said it wants its 2x multiples back :baiting:... but seriously that 2x multiple for the .2 jump in grade hasn't been a thing for many years. At least not between 9.6 and 9.8

I've been buying books very aggressively and very consistently for the past four years solid.  2x isn't always the multiple, but it has very very often proven true prior to 2021.  I've got a massive spreadsheet of actual prices paid to back that up.

On 8/19/2021 at 10:10 AM, Wolverinex said:

What's clz app? 

https://www.collectorz.com/comic/clz-comics

It was a pain to input all those books, but it's so nice now to be able to be in a LCS, see a book and then check my phone to see if I have it, why my grade is, the approx value, etc.

Doesn't work well at big cons with terrible wifi. 

On 8/20/2021 at 10:06 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

It was a pain to input all those books, but it's so nice now to be able to be in a LCS, see a book and then check my phone to see if I have it, why my grade is, the approx value, etc.

Nice, I wish you could buy a 1 time fee instead of subscription.  

On 8/20/2021 at 5:29 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The real question is, are they rising relative to inflation? We're dealing with massive inflation right now across the board. Try buying a used car or getting some home renovation jobs quoted and you'll see what I mean.

Ugh - no kidding!
I can tell you from the reno side of things, prices have dipped down a little bit with material costs dropping, with some supply chain issues getting better.
But - prices are still way up.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, Wolverinex said:

Nice, I wish you could buy a 1 time fee instead of subscription.  

Seems like nearly everything digital is subscription based now (apps/streaming entertainment/news/etc.).
I'm surprised when something isn't a subscription!

On 8/19/2021 at 3:21 PM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

There ya go. That supports what I think. However, I think the first few seasons were "hot garbage." But, overall, I think it's a quite mediocre TV show. I'm curious to see how it wraps up though, as I never finished the comic book series, which might explain why I enjoy the recent seasons--lots of unknown.

I thought it was pretty good for at least the first few seasons with some decent, surprising moments.  One that I recall was when they had been looking for that little girl for a long time and she ended up being with all the other zombies in the barn.  Think that was season 2 or 3.  

On 8/21/2021 at 1:34 AM, Poekaymon said:

I thought it was pretty good for at least the first few seasons with some decent, surprising moments.  One that I recall was when they had been looking for that little girl for a long time and she ended up being with all the other zombies in the barn.  Think that was season 2 or 3.  

Season 2. Such a slow season, but such an amazing pay-off! 

On 8/20/2021 at 7:06 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

You can export the data to csv or pdf through the mobile app or website. Make sure to change section "2. Columns" to add or remove sections like Date added, Value, Purchase Price, Variant Description Title, etc...

image.thumb.png.0ddeda53aa952dd0e63be5a11b10eba6.png

On 8/20/2021 at 7:29 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The real question is, are they rising relative to inflation? We're dealing with massive inflation right now across the board. Try buying a used car or getting some home renovation jobs quoted and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not disagreeing that there is inflation, but those two examples have other mitigating factors regarding price hikes.  The silicon chips used in new cars have become super-scarce, driving up the price and decreasing the production of new cars.  As a result, people are flocking the the used car market, and supply/demand takes hold.  

Similar situation with home building and renovation.  Some home building/repair supply chains have frozen or otherwise dried up, driving up the cost of supplies due to scarcity.  As a result, new home construction is currently way down despite a huge demand for housing at the moment.  

These are the same supply problems that are making it hard to find certain comic supplies (see other thread in the forums).  

On 8/20/2021 at 9:06 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Ever have LCS owners/workers give you a hard time about checking your phone? I use the notes app on my iPhone to keep lists of stuff I’m looking for, and I’ve had people in the LCS start clocking me as soon as I get the phone out while I’m in the boxes. Nobody has confronted me yet, but I wonder if they think I’m checking eBay sales, etc. against their prices…

On 8/20/2021 at 10:09 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Ever have LCS owners/workers give you a hard time about checking your phone? I use the notes app on my iPhone to keep lists of stuff I’m looking for, and I’ve had people in the LCS start clocking me as soon as I get the phone out while I’m in the boxes. Nobody has confronted me yet, but I wonder if they think I’m checking eBay sales, etc. against their prices…

Not at all.  They don't care at all.  

On 8/20/2021 at 10:09 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

It's because they charge me the ebay price when I check out

On 8/20/2021 at 8:09 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Never had a problem. But I've often showed the app to the owner so they can check it out. 

Edited by MatterEaterLad