• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,178 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 5:18 PM, Hens_Teeth said:

The internet :acclaim:Try "N P Gresham".

It's legal in Texas so it's no big revelation.

Then link the articles Stu and save the dramatics for other pot smokers who need the Kardashians in their lives

Edited by Dr. Dank

On 9/12/2021 at 6:05 PM, Hens_Teeth said:

For free? Pssssh. Pull your sausage fingers outta your pants and start typing!

Get back to me on your upswing, and for the love of God, quit getting banned from practically every forum, if you have actual relevant carp to say 

On 9/12/2021 at 6:34 PM, Joshua33 said:

How long ya got buddy? :roflmao:

In all seriousness though, I don't believe many books out there are being bought with any sense of awareness. Spiderman 300, 361, Secret Wars, Eternals, Nova, Shang Chi, Iron Fist, and people are extra wreckless on FF48, 49, any Claremont X Men, Miles Morales, etc, etc, etc. 

All of these are cool books, but the prices being paid appear to be the hype, plus future hype, plus prayed for future appreciation, future movie success, future growth in number of collectors, and on and on. It just seems so far beyond peaked out, that people are just driving up prices on mid grade fodder because they can't afford heavy keys anymore, so the inflation spills into books that should be in twenty five dollar bins.

I just hope when it's all over, it doesn't sour half of the collector market. Though I may be waiting for reason to enter the market before I reacquire many books I've moved, I understand and appreciate a healthy population in our hobby market.

I have not seen FF 48 and 49 still selling at crazy prices lately, I agree they both shot up with the rest, but I don't put them in the same categories as the other spec books.

What is ironic is I have a few ASM 361's and ASM 252's I sent to Joey in March to get pressed and graded that at the time were on fire so I thought I would sell off some. They have already dropped dramatically.

I tend to log onto the IG live sales of some of the bigger sellers on IG and it amazes me how many people hype up Nova, Eternals and Moon Knight etc but also amazes me as to how many people snag them the minute they are listed with 3-4 others putting in claims behind so there is still that rush of people trying to get the next thing. 

On 9/12/2021 at 5:26 PM, PKJ said:

I have not seen FF 48 and 49 still selling at crazy prices lately, I agree they both shot up with the rest, but I don't put them in the same categories as the other spec books.

What is ironic is I have a few ASM 361's and ASM 252's I sent to Joey in March to get pressed and graded that at the time were on fire so I thought I would sell off some. They have already dropped dramatically.

I tend to log onto the IG live sales of some of the bigger sellers on IG and it amazes me how many people hype up Nova, Eternals and Moon Knight etc but also amazes me as to how many people snag them the minute they are listed with 3-4 others putting in claims behind so there is still that rush of people trying to get the next thing. 

That's the problem though, iddn' it? Those 'next thing' books are already being paid for as if they're the current thing. 

On 9/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, PKJ said:

FF 48 just sold for $144K on HA.  Is that not a crazy piece?

On 9/12/2021 at 8:28 PM, Joshua33 said:

That's the problem though, iddn' it? Those 'next thing' books are already being paid for as if they're the current thing. 

Exactly. And higher than the going rate of other actual established "things".

On 9/12/2021 at 8:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

FF 48 just sold for $144K on HA.  Is that not a crazy piece?

9.8's are always head scratchers to me. That one is crazy, maybe the Stan sig is worth the 44K bump?

I was more comparing the larger sample sizes, although I did go back and look at some sales for both and they are steady.

The thing is that even if the bubble pops, if you have time, these books will probably all hit another record. I have seen people referring to past bubbles as something that wouldn’t happen again. But just like stocks they will and did happen again.

My advice: Buy and hold until either the profit is too crazy to pass on or you need the money. Not sure I would buy at a record price, but I did pick up a few more bronze/copper/moderns as I saw the prices come down a bit. Just like stocks I can’t time this market ( I thought a ASM 4.0 at $5k was a lot back some time ago. Should have plunged in then). Now I just got to put them away and not think about them for a decade or so 😂

On 9/12/2021 at 10:37 PM, Gregd said:

The thing is that even if the bubble pops, if you have time, these books will probably all hit another record. I have seen people referring to past bubbles as something that wouldn’t happen again. But just like stocks they will and did happen again.

My advice: Buy and hold until either the profit is too crazy to pass on or you need the money. Not sure I would buy at a record price, but I did pick up a few more bronze/copper/moderns as I saw the prices come down a bit. Just like stocks I can’t time this market ( I thought a ASM 4.0 at $5k was a lot back some time ago. Should have plunged in then). Now I just got to put them away and not think about them for a decade or so 😂

Ditto

On 9/12/2021 at 10:37 PM, Gregd said:

Agree 100% with this. People keep knocking the reason these books are appreciating be it spec or whatever. What difference does it make why a value increase happens? If you're looking to sell something that's seen a substantial increase your not going to shortchange yourself because you think people might be buying for dubious reasons. If you own something of increased value are you going to look down on it because you theorize maybe there's a bunch of reckless buyers out there? They may or may not be reckless that's a matter of opinion. Who's to know for sure whether these reasons for market trends are dubious??? If you wanna buy then waiting for a cool down period could make sense but anticipating bargain basement due to the always impending "crash" is not terribly realistic. The doomsday scenario has been on the docket now for as long as anyone can remember. 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 9/13/2021 at 9:52 PM, BanjerD said:

$7200 for a FF49, crazy or outlier?

IMG_1112.jpg

Ha I give up, I was watching some copies of 48 the last few months thinking I might could upgrade since they seemed to drop, that must have been a very short window.

With the FF coming to the MCU I think it keeps FF48 and 49 in the speculation frenzy mix for a while yet. It makes more sense to me that all the price drops are going to come from those books with a random villain appearance or small character that turned up for an MCU show and then it passes.

I love the fact we have all these films to enjoy but it does panic me when I hear of a new trailer or announcement such as '6 more films slated to come out in 2023' or whatever. The collector in me realises that my want list is going to very quickly fall into the spec pile and disappear out of reach...