• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

And for all you worry warts on the boards here who's crying over the crashing price of their AF 15's, let's hope you've got a copy of Spidey 1 because at least now we know where all of the money is going to:  :banana:  :whee:  (:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/948566

ama1.41877_2.jpg

I guess that QES sticker and short little video by Vinnie must have made all the difference in the world as it sold for almost $200K in Tuesday's evening's CC Event Auction for a mere GC 9.0 graded copy.  :whatthe:

Don't you absolutely hate it when some fool out there outbids you by a mere $5 for your grail of a book since I thought for sure that my last second bid of $170,550 would have won, but I guess that fool must have had a prior bid in there of $170,555 which came out to $196,138.25 with the 15% BP juice in there.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

I track over 40 items last 1 year, all except 5 are down month to month.  I track only eBay "real" auction sales no fixed price.  Almost all are 1975-1990 books. From July- Current the drops are 25% or more nearly across the board.

I don't have the data with me to display at moment.   I also do not sell and track mainly out of curiosity.  So it really matters little fiscally to me except as a buyer.

My opinion any non Key of Keys high-ish pop Bronze or Copper still has plenty of room to drop. I will not be surprised if we see certain books fall below March 2020 FMV .  ala BTO "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet"

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/22/2022 at 8:11 AM, lou_fine said:

And for all you worry warts on the boards here who's crying over the crashing price of their AF 15's, let's hope you've got a copy of Spidey 1 because at least now we know where all of the money is going to:  :banana:  :whee:  (:

ama1.41877_2.jpg

I guess that QES sticker and short little video by Vinnie must have made all the difference in the world as it sold for almost $200K in Tuesday's evening's CC Event Auction for a mere GC 9.0 graded copy.  :whatthe:

Don't you absolutely hate it when some fool out there outbids you by a mere $5 for your grail of a book since I thought for sure that my last second bid of $170,550 would have won, but I guess that fool must have had a prior bid in there of $170,555 which came out to $196,138.25 with the 15% BP juice in there.  :devil:

Ask a 9.0, in my humble opinion :sick:

On 9/22/2022 at 10:11 AM, lou_fine said:

ama1.41877_2.jpg

With it being CC you should have been able to bid and counter bid until one of you gives up. I am normally on the give up side.

On 9/22/2022 at 3:55 PM, Gregd said:

Just to be clear we must be talking about big book purchases.

I have bought from Heritage Auctions recently- won books at half gpa, some I lost. I have bid against other board members (I found out after). I have watched books sell for dismal prices and others at records. I have not seen patterns of abuse. Again- we are talking sub $1000 books. 

And if I read this thread as a new collector - I would run from the hobby. Hope we don’t scare the very people that are the future of collecting. They should know there are many cool people who sell, great comic shops, sites like MyComicShop that are stellar, and so much to learn about the hobby. Like all things financial- there are always some shenanigans.

Think it depends on who owns the book the house (in disguise) or another entity. then depends on how they play it item by item.  BTW story like yours are probably lower priced lots from average consignees and cast just enough doubt that the rubes will believe the house is not being dishonest. BTW the head of that house has prior convictions!

As for CC I've only bid on 2 items from them it was more than 10 years ago and both of course ended at my exact maximum bid. Its too tiny a sample of course but a very common story with them.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/22/2022 at 4:11 PM, Bird said:

I went on mcs and noticed a "your offers" button, so I clicked it. There I saw the following, take it for what you will.

Last week of May 2022, on mcs there was an IMSM 1 cgc 9.0 listed at $1147 and I offered $950, which he declined. That book is now priced $850. Were we both fools?

The market is very fluid now and for the most part highly affected by gravity!