• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2024 at 9:23 PM, the blob said:

I can kind of understand getting a Golden age book slabbed so it doesn't get damaged anymore than it already is, but slabbing a brand new book to get a 9.8 and then sell it for $10 to $20 is baffling. O.o

On 5/2/2024 at 6:37 PM, jimjum12 said:

Many, many record highs occur at Clink, especially in SA areas. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

They certainly do.

As a for instance, I had this ASM 316 go for what was a record price at the time. One sale landed above this in GPA at around the same time, but I believe that one was a news stand that was not recognized as such on the slab or in the notes. 

It is a lot of fun to be on the right side of these sales. 

capture.jpg

On 5/2/2024 at 7:16 PM, Stefan_W said:

They certainly do.

As a for instance, I had this ASM 316 go for what was a record price at the time. One sale landed above this in GPA at around the same time, but I believe that one was a news stand that was not recognized as such on the slab or in the notes. 

capture.jpg

Speaking of which, how do you get the newsstand notation that aren't editions but just newsstand in name only?

I filled out a Batman submission form today #563 & 570, which I typed in newsstand but the choice didn't come up. It's a near 2000 age newsstand and we'll after this asm #316?

On 5/2/2024 at 8:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Speaking of which, how do you get the newsstand notation that aren't editions but just newsstand in name only?

I filled out a Batman submission form today #563 & 570, which I typed in newsstand but the choice didn't come up. It's a near 2000 age newsstand and we'll after this asm #316?

When I submit news stand copies I typically just click the "can't find your book" option and fill out the form directly. You can put "news stand" into the variant part on the bottom left of the form. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 8:16 PM, Stefan_W said:

They certainly do.

capture.jpg

That auction was the reason I decided to submit my Childhood copy... It did grade a 9.8 but as the FMV continues its plummet I'll soon wonder if it was worth the expense to send in....

Edited by MAR1979

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 5:10 PM, blazingbob said:

Hmmm.

Music Concerts aren't exactly cheap anymore.  Unless I'm watching a street musician I'm into the stratosphere for a concert.  

Sporting Events,  Try a NY Knick,  Ranger or Yankee game to feel fleeced

Restaurants?  Man if you want some inflation try eating out.  Better yet head out to California for some  Big Macs.  

I've had 2 Big Mac's in my life. Yakked/Ralph-ed/Hurled both times within 2 minutes of eating them, similar to the super-size me film.  That's the anthropological reaction the body has when it believes it's ingested is poison. Which in the case of that type of a "burger" is pretty much on point..

BTW:

- it wasn't 18 (that's a modern lie) it was $15 
- it wasn't CA it was CT...
- The $15 it was for what they allegedly call a meal. I say allegedly as french fries and soda pop only constituent a meal to those lacking a 3 digit IQ. 
- Average Big Mac price in CA is currently $5.11 - which IMHO is $5.105 more than it's worth
- Average Big Mac price is higher on Bob's Long Guy-lind  than in CA

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/18-big-mac-meals-see-150028269.html

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/2/2024 at 9:55 AM, blazingbob said:

But Jim,  the comic masses cry for "real time" pricing,  they want the person standing in front of them to be a Gucci dealer selling at Dollar Tree prices.  

Youtubers need the clicks,  streamers need the eyes and followers.  

Where is the RallyD stock market quotes on my shares of New Mutants #98 in 9.9?

AI is coming to the comic dealer convention and no reporting market.

Dealers will be implanted with chips that directly sync with a sales gathering application,  It will see us count the cash,  accepting the check or watching the venmo etc transaction take place.

You type a comic into a search engine on any device that you are looking for and the AI chip implanted in the dealer will send a signal to the brain that this guy needs this book.  

The comic community will be turned into the Comic Borg,  you will be assimilated.

Instant gratification for all

Sweet, assimilate me 7 of 9

7of9.jpg

On 5/2/2024 at 6:34 PM, namisgr said:

I didn't find that to be true.  Over a half dozen different auctions for around 350 high grade SA and BA slabs, I realized excellent prices overall and the after-commission returns were much better than anticipated based on past market prices.

It's almost certainly not the best venue for realizing the highest prices possible for every era and genre, but for the kinds of things I collected they were a major outlet for buying and selling for 15 years.

CL does have record prices realized every now and then which is why they did want to have some sales included in GPA.  It’s a bad optic if they say it’s a lot of work but I’ll only do the work if only the great sales get included but it’s not worth our time if everything has to go in (since it doesn’t benefit us).  They should have just said no it’s proprietary info and be done with it and not added that other option.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:36 AM, 1Cool said:

CL does have record prices realized every now and then which is why they did want to have some sales included in GPA.  It’s a bad optic if they say it’s a lot of work but I’ll only do the work if only the great sales get included but it’s not worth our time if everything has to go in (since it doesn’t benefit us).  They should have just said no it’s proprietary info and be done with it and not added that other option.

Agreed.  That's the policy Highgrade Comics took, as Bob has said many times that his proprietary sales data are too important to his business to make freely available through GPA.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:40 AM, namisgr said:

Agreed.  That's the policy Highgrade Comics took, as Bob has said many times that his proprietary sales data are too important to his business to make freely available through GPA.

... the elephant in the room .... what benefit is there for an auction house to support a price researching tool that could suggest their bidders should bid less? Not much upside, especially with the profound oversaturation of auctions today. I'm out of comics for the most part, but I do still subscribe to GPA. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Good question, James.  Perhaps it's because the overall trend since CGC opened its doors over 20 years ago has been for prices of slabbed comics to skyrocket.

On 5/2/2024 at 5:10 PM, blazingbob said:

Hmmm.

Music Concerts aren't exactly cheap anymore.  Unless I'm watching a street musician I'm into the stratosphere for a concert.  

Restaurants?  Man if you want some inflation try eating out.  Better yet head out to California for some $18 Big Macs.  

Yes, everything is going to cost $100-300 or whatever. I did get $21 tickets in 2022 for one of the games judge was stuck at 61, but they were nosebleeds and I am pretty sure we spent $30-40 per person for the 6 of us (4 kids) on food/drinks too (which is pretty easy with $16 beers). From a collector's standpoint the money spent on any one of these things can be spent on some really nice book that isn't gone in an hour, so there's that. Comics, especially if you are selective and not hoovering 3 million dollar books, at least don't take up a ton of space, which I guess is why the whole hobby went toward keys, semi-keys and super HG slabs, rather than folks collecting runs like they used to.

On 5/2/2024 at 8:57 PM, MAR1979 said:

I've had 2 Big Mac's in my life. Yakked/Ralph-ed/Hurled both times within 2 minutes of eating them, similar to the super-size me film.  That's the anthropological reaction the body has when it believes it's ingested is poison. Which in the case of that type of a "burger" is pretty much on point..

BTW:

- it wasn't 18 (that's a modern lie) it was $15 
- it wasn't CA it was CT...
- The $15 it was for what they allegedly call a meal. I say allegedly as french fries and soda pop only constituent a meal to those lacking a 3 digit IQ. 
- Average Big Mac price in CA is currently $5.11 - which IMHO is $5.105 more than it's worth
- Average Big Mac price is higherBob's Long Guy-lind  than in CA

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/18-big-mac-meals-see-150028269.html

I paid $17.99 for a burger and fries combo for my kid in Syracuse back in October at Five Guys, which was MORE than the burger and fries (which was better and bigger too) he got at a really nice restaurant there (The York) the night before. I know Five Guys is a "premium" burger, but fast food is just getting absurd, I am happy I have gone low carb vegan so I am not even tempted by it.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:31 AM, the blob said:
On 5/2/2024 at 4:10 PM, blazingbob said:

anymore.  Unless I'm watching a street musician I'm into the stratosphere for a concert.  

Restaurants?  Man if you want some inflation try eating out.  Better yet head out to California for some $18 Big Macs.  

Expand  

Yes, everything is going to cost $100-300 or whatever. I did get $21 tickets in 2022 for one of the games judge was stuck at 61, but they were nosebleeds and I am pretty sure we spent $30-40 per person for the 6 of us (4 kids) on food/drinks too (which is pretty easy with $16 beers). From a collector's standpoint the money spent on any one of these things can be spent on some really nice book that isn't gone in an hour, so there's that. Comics, especially if you are selective and not hoovering 3 million dollar books, at least don't take up a ton of space, which I guess is why the whole hobby went toward keys, semi-keys and super HG slabs, rather than folks collecting runs like they used to.

If we're following up, I too did some concerts and or stand up, it all cost about the same at around $250 for two people, but that might just be the seats I could afford lol

I saw Adam Sandler a year ago February in rafters, "Fluffy" or Gabriel Iglesias floor seats this March, and Green Day behind the foul ball net but close.to the stage this September!

5745651_Full_Rev.jpg

4620313_Full_Rev.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yup, the cure was a $350 night with a very small dinner and some drinks for 2 of us. But I have to say they put on a good show, although nosebleeds at MSG are really uncomfortable. Green Day this summer will cost like $700 for 4 of us at the end of it all, probably $850-900 with dinner, but it may be worth it as they're one of the few bands I like, my wife likes, and the oldest son likes (he's trying to get his GF to like them, I'd feel kindah dumb spending $175 to take her if she doesn't)

Edited by the blob

On 5/3/2024 at 11:31 AM, the blob said:

Yup, the cure was a $350 night with a very small dinner and some drinks for 2 of us. Green Day this summer will cost like $700 for 4 of us at the end of it all, probably $850-900 with dinner.

And while I'm all about the "live" experience I am becoming more and more concerned with backing tracks and are they really singing?

If you can't sing anymore don't play live..

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 11:36 AM, blazingbob said:

And while I'm all about the "live" experience I am becoming more and more concerned with backing tracks and are they really singing?

I am pretty excited that I just got tickets to see one of my favorite Bands ... Clutch ... in Brooklyn and the tickets were "only" $50 + $14.50 service charge. Slightly less thrilled that they are co-headlining with another band (although listening to them my wife might life them more than Clutch). Fu Manchu too (I like them but some of the guitar solos go on too long). With that said, it is general admission and I am not 100% clear whether there are actually any seats, so I hope my achilles is feeling better by next September if I am standing the whole show. The last time I did a standing show was pre-achilles rupture and it was rough for this old man. Now I just need to convince my wife to come with me as I don't know anyone else local who listens to them. Anyway, I saw some big shows in college and then was practically 30 years until I went to another one (getting let in to see Yes and Meatloaf at the Beacon for the manager's free seats doesn't count), I kind of wish I had seen more when I was young (and tickets were $12, although that was when I lived in Houston)

Edited by the blob

On 5/3/2024 at 8:02 AM, EastEnd1 said:

From what I've seen lately, ComicLink is not (in general) getting strong results. I'd imagine that if they were included in GPA, it would tend to take prices lower.

I keep getting outbid lately on most of the GA books I want to bid on no matter where I bid, but do occasionally win a few on ComicLink and elsewhere.  More often than not, prices go beyond what I'm willing to pay for most GA books no matter the venue.  But then I go look at SA/BA stuff on Heritage, ComicLink, etc. and I sometimes see weak sales, too.  I definitely got some deals (at least I thought so) a couple of months ago on some GA stuff in a Comic Connect auction.  I think it generally depends on what, where, and when you bid.  There's strength and weakness everywhere.  SA books that last year I would've gladly taken in maybe 6.0-7.0 grade are now similarly affordable probably in 8.0-9.2 grades on a lot of auction houses, but there are so many of them out there, I'm willing/can afford to wait.  I also am not a "key" collector, but more of a cover/nostalgia collector, so maybe that helps in some cases.

On 5/3/2024 at 8:36 AM, blazingbob said:

When I saw The Cure in Vancouver, Bob was definitely singing. No excessive backing tracks from what I can tell. That said, I'm not actively bothered by the use of backing tracks if the show is entertaining in that context, I go to arena and stadium shows for spectacle, and shows in bars and small clubs for musicianship.