• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2024 at 3:35 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Yes, but you have great memories with other people. That`s the real key no pun intended. 

Most people and I  rather be with their family or friends and go to those venues and have great experiences and memories than have New Mutants #98 or other KEY comics slabbed.

So most people rather spend $2000 on great experiences than buy a slab that will sit in their closet. 

As Bob Dylan once said the times are changing.  haha.

We're all wired differently.  While I have some great memories of friends and concerts and vacations and all the rest I also value comics that I've purchased, especially when I was young.  I have a strong emotional attachment to them and I love to flip through them and go back in time to the newsstands and second hand bookstores of my youth.  I'd just rather plug in a Bee Gees CD and sort my books than pay $200 for a concert and fight the crowds.  

And of course collecting comics and enjoining other aspects of life aren't mutually exclusive.  We can travel and hang with friends and all the rest and collect what we like.

Where prices go from here really depends on how many people will continue to collect in the future.  As we all know, a collectible is only worth what the next guy will pay us.  Strangely enough I believe my collection has actually appreciated since the end of covid because pretty well all of my SA to MA books have dropped in value but my Timelys and Precode Horror and Precode Crime and Romance have jumped.  At the end of the day I don't really care what my books are worth monetarily, their value to me is purely emotional.  I'll just stay in my lane and continue to pick up books.

As an aside, probably the best musical experience I ever enjoyed was going out for supper to a random Mexican restaurant.  Inside Billy Cowsill was playing to a crowd of nobody.  I was 10 feet away watching a man of extraordinary talent sing his heart out.

On 5/3/2024 at 2:09 PM, thehumantorch said:

We're all wired differently.  While I have some great memories of friends and concerts and vacations and all the rest I also value comics that I've purchased, especially when I was young.  I have a strong emotional attachment to them and I love to flip through them and go back in time to the newsstands and second hand bookstores of my youth.  I'd just rather plug in a Bee Gees CD and sort my books than pay $200 for a concert and fight the crowds.  

And of course collecting comics and enjoining other aspects of life aren't mutually exclusive.  We can travel and hang with friends and all the rest and collect what we like.

Where prices go from here really depends on how many people will continue to collect in the future.  As we all know, a collectible is only worth what the next guy will pay us.  Strangely enough I believe my collection has actually appreciated since the end of covid because pretty well all of my SA to MA books have dropped in value but my Timelys and Precode Horror and Precode Crime and Romance have jumped.  At the end of the day I don't really care what my books are worth monetarily, their value to me is purely emotional.  I'll just stay in my lane and continue to pick up books.

As an aside, probably the best musical experience I ever enjoyed was going out for supper to a random Mexican restaurant.  Inside Billy Cowsill was playing to a crowd of nobody.  I was 10 feet away watching a man of extraordinary talent sing his heart out.

192fdf5e12bda2725cbb02e61869848b.jpg

On 5/3/2024 at 8:31 AM, the blob said:

. Green Day this summer 

hm

On 5/3/2024 at 7:35 AM, the blob said:

I have gone low carb vegan 

:idea:

meh

:whistle:

:shy: :baiting:

On 5/3/2024 at 11:36 AM, blazingbob said:

And while I'm all about the "live" experience I am becoming more and more concerned with backing tracks and are they really singing?

If you can't sing anymore don't play live..

The fact that people are charging insane money and not even performing the songs live is disgusting at absolute best. 

On 5/2/2024 at 5:07 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

The major factor is the Marvel movie hype is over. A great-looking movie coming out Deadpool and Wolverine, but yet both Incredible Hulk #181 and New Mutants #98 have dropped in price incredibly.  The Deadpool and Wolverine movie can`t even move the needle, and actually lower prices show people have moved on. Most people I know want to go to music concerts, sports events and great restaurants and experience good feelings with memories and not collect things. 

You're still collecting something, a memory. And if in fact you have to make the choice between those things and comics there are obviously other factors including your personal funds available for entertainment, priorities in said entertainment, etc. But to say the Deadpool movie can't "move the needle
 on those books may possibly be one of the most short sighted answers available. How much do those book currently sell for (through rises and dips)? They have ALWAYS been readily available, many people had bought them years ago and prices can only climb so high. Did you expect Hulk 181 to reach a million in 9.4? No, it will always rise and fall and when you rise into the 5 figure market your buyer pool shrinks by leaps and bounds. 

People have hardly "moved on", maybe YOU have found social outings to be more exciting? But I can say that I attend typically 2-3 shows a month "I don't say concerts", usually hit a Birds game once a season, and eat at different restaurants a few times a month with the wife. Still spend plenty of time with comics, building cars, playing in my own band, and raising 2 teenage boys who are multi sport athletes. Just because YOU struggle to figure out how to better manage funds and time doesn't mean the world has moved on. 

On 5/3/2024 at 8:57 AM, namisgr said:

Good question, James.  Perhaps it's because the overall trend since CGC opened its doors over 20 years ago has been for prices of slabbed comics to skyrocket.

The charts in this thread seem to suggest otherwise. It was certainly fun while it lasted. A little more responsibility with the release of product, kind of like the diamond industry, would have gone a long way. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

...people "game" GPA often in an effort to negotiate a lower price, sometimes scandalously so. I've yet to see it used to negotiate upwards when making that buying decision. 

On 5/4/2024 at 9:11 AM, jimjum12 said:

people "game" GPA often in an effort to negotiate a lower price, sometimes scandalously so. I've yet to see it used to negotiate upwards when making that buying decision.

Please explain how this is done?  To me it’s far more likely that any “gaming” of GPA is when shilled or otherwise manipulated sales occur that get reported setting higher GPA sales prices for that particular book not lower.

No ease yet in all the pre Bat tecs, A-Man’s and Archie’s I’m looking for. 

On 5/4/2024 at 9:24 AM, ThothAmon said:

Please explain how this is done?  To me it’s far more likely that any “gaming” of GPA is when shilled or otherwise manipulated sales occur that get reported setting higher GPA sales prices for that particular book not lower.

It is not "gaming" per se, but I have had loads of people try to negotiate a low price based on a single recent low sale on a book that is recorded in GPA. I've also seen sellers set prices based on one-off high prices. But those things are just a misuse of the tool rather than any type of gaming. 

On 5/4/2024 at 9:11 AM, jimjum12 said:

The charts in this thread seem to suggest otherwise. It was certainly fun while it lasted. A little more responsibility with the release of product, kind of like the diamond industry, would have gone a long way. GOD BLESS ... 

...people "game" GPA often in an effort to negotiate a lower price, sometimes scandalously so. I've yet to see it used to negotiate upwards when making that buying decision. 

Prior to the pandemic prices were pretty stable with small yearly gains for bigger key books. The trends you mention show massive upward spikes during the comic boom followed by an equally massive drop in price after things largely returned to normal. We are still standing in sand to a degree where new foundations for most books (especially new ones) are not yet set. Having said this, it appears as though the biggest drops for most books are behind us. 

The most troubling part of all of this is buyers are more reluctant to open their wallets and make purchases while there is still instability in the particular segment of the market they are interested in. The way this plays out is people often just sit on their wallets expecting an even better deal on a book to come along down the road. There is less of this now than in 2023, but it is still very much a factor.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 9:24 AM, ThothAmon said:

It's not a quick explanation but a simple one. Seller has a 7.5 for sale. Last 7.5 sold three years ago at $ 1000, while three 7.0s sold in the last three sales for an average of 1350, and two 8.0s averaged at 2500. Buyer insists 900 is the FMV even though both grade increments, above and below, suggest something entirely different. This also applies when the outlier is higher and the seller insists FMV reflects that. People have been manipulating data since it was created. Like I said, I still have GPA, but only use it to see if a GPA quote is accurate when I still occasionally buy. Seller's distort it all the time. GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

On 5/4/2024 at 9:38 AM, Stefan_W said:

But those things are just a misuse of the tool rather than any type of gaming. 

I would call it gaming if someone bites, or is actually mislead. Luckily most of us are not that obtuse, but I see many sellers, especially on eBay, who seem to conclude that they are the only intelligent person in the room. GOD BLESS ...

On 5/4/2024 at 9:45 AM, jimjum12 said:

It's not a quick explanation but a simple one. Last 7.5 sold three years ago at $ 1000, while three 7.0s sold in the last three sales for an average of 1350, and two 8.0s averaged at 2500. Buyer insists 900 is the FMV even though both grade increments, above and below, suggest something entirely different. This also applies when the outlier is higher and the seller insists FMV reflects that. People have been manipulating data since it was created. Like I said, I still have GPA, but only use it to see if a GPA quote is accurate when I still occasionally buy. It is distorted all the time. GOD BLESS ...

This type of thing happens a lot in GPA in the middle grades. Sales of a book at a 7.0 may be higher than at 7.5 or 8.0. 

My favourite part of this is some sellers who deal in raw books use this to their advantage because they know some potential buyers will check GPA (even though the book is not slabbed) as a reference point for value. So a raw book will be listed as FN/VF rather than VF because the price on FN/VF is higher in GPA. It is a mild form of manipulation that I have seen many times. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 9:53 AM, Stefan_W said:

This type of thing happens a lot in GPA in the middle grades. Sales of a book at a 7.0 may be higher than at 7.5 or 8.0. 

My favourite part of this is some sellers who deal in raw books use this to their advantage because they know some potential buyers will check GPA (even though the book is not slabbed) as a reference point for value. So a raw book will be listed as FN/VF rather than VF because the price on FN/VF is higher in GPA. It is a mild form of manipulation that I have seen many times. 

This is exactly what I meant. GPA is also a little threadbare in regards to book specifics, or they were. Many times, an outlier hammers out for a reason, not necessarily because someone was way less intellectually developed than someone else. Sometimes, it actually IS the *ahem* white pages. GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 9:45 AM, Stefan_W said:

Prior to the pandemic prices were pretty stable with small yearly gains for bigger key books. The trends you mention show massive upward spikes during the comic boom followed by an equally massive drop in price after things largely returned to normal. We are still standing in sand to a degree where new foundations for most books (especially new ones) are not yet set. Having said this, it appears as though the biggest drops for most books are behind us. 

The most troubling part of all of this is buyers are more reluctant to open their wallets and make purchases while there is still instability in the particular segment of the market they are interested in. The way this plays out is people often just sit on their wallets expecting an even better deal on a book to come along down the road. There is less of this now than in 2023, but it is still very much a factor.  

not to mention all those who have exited the hobby to the point that less collectors now than in late 2019. Typical of any bust. Comic hobby as whole is now in an attrition state, in what is likley a permanent paradigm expect the few new collectors entering the hobby to be greatly exceeded by those leaving (regardless of reason for doing so).  The bleeding will not stop only question is; for how long it can be impeded.

Dealers yer salad daze of 2020-2022 ain't a never comin' back in yer lifetime. Now we get to see who actually has business acumen by those who remain standing. Hint those who do have true business acumen are likley not spending time here whining about lower FMV's they are doing whatever it takes to adapt, like the oh so dreaded by the Midus' here action of lowering prices, to ensure steady inbound cash flow...

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/4/2024 at 11:01 AM, MAR1979 said:

not to mention all those who have exited the hobby to the point that less collectors now than in late 2019. Typical of any bust. Comic hobby as whole is now in an attrition state, in what is likley a permanent paradigm expect the few new collectors entering the hobby to be greatly exceeded by those leaving (regardless of reason for doing so).  The bleeding will not stop only question is; for how long it can be impeded.

Dealers yer salad daze of 2020-2022 ain't a never comin' back in yer lifetime. Now we get to see who actually has business acumen by those who remain standing. Hint those who do have true business acumen are likley not spending time here whining about lower FMV's they are doing whatever it take to adapt, like the dreaded, to many here, lowering prices, to keep inbound cash flow steady...

Well, this is the second boom and bust in the comic market of my lifetime so never say never. But yeah, adaptation is the key to survival.