• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
41 41

7,956 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2024 at 5:06 PM, bc said:

image.thumb.png.b6d60021250276dba6b9fabf2fa1df2e.png

-bc

It's just incredible to me that the most important book of the Silver Age sells for less than the 2nd most important book of the Silver Age just because the character is more popular. 

In the GA, Action #1 is by far the more important book, even though many argue that Detective #27 has the better character and it always sells for more. 

That the FF #1 sells for 1/3rd of what an AF #15 sells for is absolutely plain crazy.

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/2/2024 at 2:13 PM, VintageComics said:

It's just incredible to me that the most important book of the Silver Age sells for less than the 2nd most important book of the Silver Age just because the character is more popular. 

In the GA, Action #1 is by far the more important book, even though many argue that Detective #27 has the better character and it always sells for more. 

That the FF #1 sells for 1/3rd of what an AF #15 sells for is absolutely plain crazy.

isn't it always supply versus demand.  the demand for AF15 is easily stronger than FF1? (shrug)

On 10/2/2024 at 5:16 PM, Spiderturtle said:

isn't it always supply versus demand.  the demand for AF15 is easily stronger than FF1? (shrug)

Sure, but the question is, why is the demand for an AF #15 so great that it costs 3 times more than FF #1?

Even Hulk #1 is selling for more than FF #1 lately.

This all makes FF #1, which is the Action #1 of the Silver Age look like an absolute bargain these days. 

On 10/2/2024 at 5:16 PM, Spiderturtle said:

As a previous owner of an Avengers 1, I think it should be priced higher than FF 1. I'm ready for your comments.

On 10/2/2024 at 5:29 PM, surfertso said:

As a previous owner of an Avengers 1, I think it should be priced higher than FF 1. I'm ready for your comments.

Both are great books but to me FF1 is a far more important and desirable book.  But we all float different boats

On 10/2/2024 at 6:49 AM, aokartman said:

Wondering if pressing is so common and routine that many/most comics pictured in major auctions are pressed, even if still raw?  David

At a certain dollar amount, I would assume the books are pressed. If we're talking about a bunch of copper and moderns that sell for 20 30 bucks probably not.

FF1 suffers right now because a lot of value is at least in part driven by movies, and in the case of Spidey it also has the nostalgia with the old TV cartoon that many of grew up watching. A lot of people dislike the FF movies that were released before the MCU started up in earnest. As someone who collected FF as long as I collected comics I think a lot of that hate is overblown and those movies were not as terrible as people make them out to be, but I realize I am in the minority there. Another thing that hurts FF value compared to Spidey is that the early part of the Amazing Spider-Man run is ridiculously key-heavy, which made it a dream for both collectors and dealers. It became capital C "Collectable." 

Anyway, the current MCU has not released movies with FF yet since the rights only recently flipped back. If people love those movies (a big if nowadays) then I expect the value of FF1 to shoot up pretty quickly. 

On 10/2/2024 at 5:24 PM, VintageComics said:

Sure, but the question is, why is the demand for an AF #15 so great that it costs 3 times more than FF #1?

This all makes FF #1, which is the Action #1 of the Silver Age look like an absolute bargain these days. 

Because Fantastic Four stinks in the theater, 3rd attempt (not counting Corman) is coming up.  3rd and last attempt, I imagine.

Prices seem to be all over the place in the current ComicConnect auction. I was able to find some good buys in the first two sessions, but the first two parts of the Ruben Blades sale have been perplexing.  I thought more of the books would go for cheap since there are a lot of low grades with restoration, missing pages, and slightly brittle pages.  Most of the ones I've been interested in seem to be going for right around current GPA but too high for me considering the condition.  Maybe Mr. Blades has more cachet with collectors than I thought?

Seems like there is still a lot of BIG buyers out there to buy the BIG books for BIG money.  I'm pretty shocked to still be seeing spending increases like this.

Four of the sales that stood out to me:

MarvelComics11_0.thumb.png.8717e16e0fb9f648865a75b14f3c7c12.png

This same book sold for $53K in 2018.

image.thumb.png.79a9d04ed91c49b999b8d94dca5f3c68.png

A 4.5 sold for $50K in 2019 and a 5.0 sold for $108K in 2022.  This one seems like a reach to me.

DetectiveComics306_5R.thumb.png.2c05b676255e44a772439583a2d34866.png

Same book sold for $3.8K in 2022.

$image.thumb.png.deffff2c98b982abff4e7f94672a403b.png

Three restored sales, 7.0 A5 in 2021 for $336K, 7.0 A1 in 2022 for $384K and a 7.5 A3 for $351K.

On 10/2/2024 at 7:29 PM, surfertso said:

How do you figure that?

Avengers #1 has always been valued less, it came out later, is more common and less important?

On 10/2/2024 at 11:34 PM, vheflin said:
On 10/2/2024 at 5:24 PM, VintageComics said:

Because Fantastic Four stinks in the theater, 3rd attempt (not counting Corman) is coming up.  3rd and last attempt, I imagine.

If it were just movie appeal, I guess it doesn't explain why Hulk #1 is as expensive as FF #1.

The last Hulk movie was 16 years ago, and it was decent but the 1st one kind of stank and there is no projected Hulk movie in the future. 

Whatever it is, if I was a Warren Buffett, I'd be buying FF #1 now. 

On 10/3/2024 at 3:15 AM, VintageComics said:

If it were just movie appeal, I guess it doesn't explain why Hulk #1 is as expensive as FF #1.

The last Hulk movie was 16 years ago, and it was decent but the 1st one kind of stank and there is no projected Hulk movie in the future. 

Whatever it is, if I was a Warren Buffett, I'd be buying FF #1 now. 

Even with the price disparity I'd still be buying all the ASM keys I could.  My worry is FF 4 could pass into obscurity unless they can be part of a great movie which resonates with younger people.  Spidey has won his way into the hearts of the young and old and should maintain his popularity into the future but I'm not sure about FF 4.  I've always been a hater of the FF 4 (other than loving the Byrne art in the 80s) so I'm not a great litmus test but I just don't see them being popular in the future.