• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,351 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2023 at 3:18 PM, Ryan. said:

The paradox of these boards is that it's full of people that get super jazzed at the thought of the hobby dying.

Maybe out of a deep seated self-loathing rooted in the obsessive nature of collecting, and a desire to be free from it? 

On 11/7/2023 at 7:49 AM, blazingbob said:

I wish people would sometimes take the emotional "Comics" out of the equation and think of them as a commodity that money can be made off.  

There will always be the "yard sale mentality",  antique collector out there.  

I'm not sure how to interpret this comment.  It's because comics, via CGC have been so thoroughly commoditized new and existing collectors have been priced out to a large extent, while the hobby, and I do say hobby, we forget the emotional appeal of the comic was what originally assigned value to the eventual commodity you speak of is contracting rapidly in terms of creating new comics, new stores for comics, new readers, new future collectors.  That's not sustainable in the long term. Sure, Bob makes Money, and if that's all you care about it, that's fine, but at some point you won't make as much, and you won't have a business to pass on to anyone, but hopefully you banked enough on the way down.  But for many of your customers, many of the books you sold to them will not be worth as much, and they will get sold at a yard sale if they even make it that far. You will argue this point vehemently of course, but do you actually believe it to be true? 

On 11/7/2023 at 8:38 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

but seriously, yeah, reading most of the responses from many of you that appear to also be Gen-Xers we see things as they are, maybe a little on the glass empty side, but far closer to the truth of the matter.

I'm a Gen X'r born in 1970 and I would NEVER purport to see the truth better than any another generation. 

If anything, I can admit I was WRONG. 

I just don't know at this point when the light will fade, but this is FAR too convenient a time to build a case that the sky is falling is during the single greatest asset correction in world history with record inflation, record energy prices, record number of wars yada, yada, yada. This is quite literally an unprecedented time in modern history and you can't draw hard and fast rules around this unprecedented time. 

That's about as subjective as you can get (and I am not trying to sound condescending). 

On 11/7/2023 at 9:48 AM, 1Cool said:

Nobody gripes when people talk about how great the comic market is

Actually, I do and have for years. :wink:

I've for YEARS griped about how when the market gets too hot it's not good for the hobby. The movie bubbles, the asset bubble of 2021 - I spoke out against all of those things and everyone knows I have. 

But MOST won't. They'd rather play the game disingenuously.

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/7/2023 at 7:22 AM, VintageComics said:

I'm a Gen X'r born in 1970 and I would NEVER purport to see the truth better than any another generation. 

If anything, I can admit I was WRONG. 

I just don't know at this point when the light will fade, but this is FAR too convenient a time to build a case that the sky is falling is during the single greatest asset correction in world history with record inflation, record energy prices, record number of wars yada, yada, yada. This is quite literally an unprecedented time in modern history and you can't draw hard and fast rules around this unprecedented time. 

That's about as subjective as you can get (and I am not trying to sound condescending). 

Actually, I do and have for years. :wink:

I've for YEARS griped about how when the market gets too hot it's not good for the hobby. The movie bubbles, the asset bubble of 2021 - I spoke out against all of those things and everyone knows I have. 

But MOST won't. They'd rather play the game disingenuously.

On today's date it has never been easier to make FREE money in America or any capitalistic society.

The problem is most people are too lazy to get off the couch and take it.

Unless that person has a real life handicap there is no excuse to be broke in a industrial society.

Most people make bad decisions, and blame others or society for their shortcomings in life.

You have a lot of kids graduating from college with worthless degrees, while kids that went to trade school are earning more than doctors because of the shortage of real trades work.  So many people who I graduated High School with would have been far better to become a plumber, electrician, or auto mechanics than spend $40-100k to get a English degree that is just worthless on its own.  Then take customer service jobs with that college degree. Then they work alongside others with no college degrees, and they are both making the same annual salary, except they still owes their student loans.

Usually people that work hard, but smart will do well over the long haul.  They are quick to bounce back when things don't go their way.

With the comic hobby, all that COVID showed was the fly-by-nighters came in and left.  The real comic book dealers/collectors are still here.

Roy just look at me.....My English writing skills are horrendous (maybe I should have added getting an English minor at college), and if it wasn't for spellcheck I would probably be homeless, and even I'm doing okay! lol 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 11/7/2023 at 6:27 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I'm not sure how to interpret this comment.  It's because comics, via CGC have been so thoroughly commoditized new and existing collectors have been priced out to a large extent, while the hobby, and I do say hobby, we forget the emotional appeal of the comic was what originally assigned value to the eventual commodity you speak of is contracting rapidly in terms of creating new comics, new stores for comics, new readers, new future collectors.  That's not sustainable in the long term. Sure, Bob makes Money, and if that's all you care about it, that's fine, but at some point you won't make as much, and you won't have a business to pass on to anyone, but hopefully you banked enough on the way down.  But for many of your customers, many of the books you sold to them will not be worth as much, and they will get sold at a yard sale if they even make it that far. You will argue this point vehemently of course, but do you actually believe it to be true? 

I really don't understand when collectors say what I highlighted above.

Define "priced out?"  That is such a generic statement that for me makes no sense.

Most collectors are not priced out of buying most comic books.

What books specifically are people priced out on?  What's annual collectors budget?

Or is it more the buyer is just upset they can't afford the comic in the grade they truly want.

Example.  They want a HULK #181 in CGC 9.4, but only have the money for a CGC 6.0.

The way I see the hobby right now it seems to be a great time for collectors to price themselves into the book they want.  I think the COVID gripes from collectors were for sure justified, but now I dont see what the problem is for most comic books buyers to not dive in and get what they want.

I also think what Bob @blazingbob was referring to was when people try to sell books or trade with dealers they sometimes think their "emotional" attachment to the books should garner a higher premium lol.  Which I have seen many times, and my rebuttal to them is your personal attachment to these books doesn't help me re-sell them faster!  So yes when you sell your comic books they are just a commodity, that is correct.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 11/7/2023 at 2:09 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I really don't understand when collectors say what I highlighted above.

Define "priced out?"  That is such a generic statement that for me makes no sense.

Most collectors are not priced out of buying most comic books.

What books specifically are people priced out on?  What's annual collectors budget?

Or is it more the buyer is just upset they can't afford the comic in the grade they truly want.

Example.  They want a HULK #181 in CGC 9.4, but only have the money for a CGC 6.0.

The way I see the hobby right now it seems to be a great time for collectors to price themselves into the book they want.  I think the COVID gripes from collectors were for sure justified, but now I dont see what the problem is for most comic books buyers to not dive in and get what they want.

I also think what Bob @blazingbob was referring to was when people try to sell books or trade with dealers they sometimes think their "emotional" attachment to the books should garner a higher premium lol.  Which I have seen many times, and my rebuttal to them is your personal attachment to these books doesn't help me re-sell them faster!  So yes when you sell your comic books they are just a commodity, that is correct.

But don't comics have no value other than an emotional attachment (especially if you take away reading the book)?  I hope people continue to have an emotional attachment to their funny books because things get tricky very fast if people start asking why a small book is worth thousands of dollars just because it includes the 1st time an artist drew a character.  

On 11/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, 1Cool said:

But don't comics have no value other than an emotional attachment (especially if you take away reading the book)?  I hope people continue to have an emotional attachment to their funny books because things get tricky very fast if people start asking why a small book is worth thousands of dollars just because it includes the 1st time an artist drew a character.  

Sure, but again what does that have to do with selling your books to a dealer or a reseller? I had a guy a couple months back want to sell me his X-Men 94-143 run.  Books were in heavily read condition, and his asking price was 3 times higher then what I could re-sell them for. lol   He said these comics were his 7/11 store bought comics from when he was a kid so if he sells them he wants more.  Needless to say I quickly passed on the run and left feeling that he wasted my time. 

I have some emotional attachment to my personal collection, but not to my regular inventory.  Just remember we are all just curators of our comics till we die.  Once I realized that in my late 20's I just stopped being so attached to anything, especially since most comics are not rare and are easily replaced.  I think its very normal to have some kind of emotional attachment to your personal comics, but if you have to sell them you cant expect me to share in that emotional attachment and pay you more money because of it. lol

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 11/7/2023 at 3:01 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Sure, but again what does that have to do with selling your books to a dealer or a reseller? I had a guy a couple months back want to sell me his X-Men 94-143 run.  Books were in heavily read condition, and his asking price was probably 3 times high then what I could re-sell the comics for. lol   He said these comics were his 7/11 store bought comics from when he was a kid so if he sells them he wants more.  Needless to say I quickly passed on the run and left feeling that he wasted my time. 

I have some emotional attachment to my personal collection, but not to my regular inventory.  Just remember we are all just curators of our comics till we are dead.  Once I realized that in my late 20's I just stopped being so attached to anything, especially since most comics are not rare and are easily replaced.  I think its very normal to have some kind of emotional attachment to your personal comics, but if you have to sell you cant expect me to share in that emotional attachment and pay you more money because of it. lol

Fair point but I can't have it both ways.  I lean heavily into the emotional attachment of buyers in terms of getting them to buy my books (heck my booth motto is Buy Back Your Childhood) so I can't expect the same people to not have an attachment when it comes time to sell their books.  That is why I love buying books from dealers (or at least people selling at cons) since my experience buying from collectors has been terrible.  They typically want top dollar for everything and they get insulted when I give them a fair offer for their books. 

I don't expect dealers to pay more than they want but it seems strange to say books should be seen as a commodity when an emotional attachment gives them most of their value.

On 11/7/2023 at 3:01 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Sure, but again what does that have to do with selling your books to a dealer or a reseller? I had a guy a couple months back want to sell me his X-Men 94-143 run.  Books were in heavily read condition, and his asking price was 3 times higher then what I could re-sell them for. lol   He said these comics were his 7/11 store bought comics from when he was a kid so if he sells them he wants more.  Needless to say I quickly passed on the run and left feeling that he wasted my time. 

I have some emotional attachment to my personal collection, but not to my regular inventory.  Just remember we are all just curators of our comics till we die.  Once I realized that in my late 20's I just stopped being so attached to anything, especially since most comics are not rare and are easily replaced.  I think its very normal to have some kind of emotional attachment to your personal comics, but if you have to sell them you cant expect me to share in that emotional attachment and pay you more money because of it. lol

I think it's more that the entire comic industry is based on emotion, not just individuals and their own books but the characters and creators that evoke those emotions. Collectors get emotional when they get the key they've wanted forever, run fillers when they finish a series, speculators when they flip for a profit, investors when a book increases over time... Without that emotion, the hobby crumbles.

Edited by dikran
typo

On 11/7/2023 at 12:09 PM, dikran said:

I think it's more that the entire comic industry is based on emotion, not just individuals and their own books but the characters and creators that evoke those emotions. Collectors get emotional when they get the key they've wanted forever, run fillers when they finish a series, speculators when they flip for a profit, investors when a book increases over time... Without that emotion, the hobby crumbles.

You want to see emotional ask me about Disney and the state of the MCU! lol

Edited by NewWorldOrder