• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
42 42

7,798 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2024 at 10:27 AM, blazingbob said:

As a "dealer" you don't have GPA?  Are you sure you want to be a reseller of books constantly guessing if what you are buying even works?  How much money have you left on the table because you didn't know what a book really sells for?

Is the subscription fee for a service that makes you money really that much of a dent to your capital base?

This type of post bothers me more then the current state of the market.  Where are the future big dealers going to come from if they can't afford $9.99 a month  

I had it for the longest time but I felt like it became a waste of $10 a month since I typically stay away from buying graded books and have not sent anything in to be graded in several years.  I could get prices for raw books via E-Bay so I used GPA as much as I used Overstreet so I cut the cost.  I've always considered myself a part time reseller (dirty flipper to some) so calling myself a "dealer" seems excessive.  With the steady death of the speculation market I'm using the next couple years to see how things are going but I'd not be shocked if I got out of selling books in the next few years.  More money for you and others!

On 7/10/2024 at 7:35 AM, Robot Man said:

Most of them do business on IG or Whatnot with 100s of uneducated buyers…

Whatnot has declined by a lot since COVID ended.  Sales are way down for the majority of sellers whether they are dealers you have heard of or the bedroom warriors selling their ASM 300 in raw VG condition that they think is rare. lol 

IG is just another tool for all dealers of all ages to sell books when they are bored on a random weeknight.

Any dealer of any generation will generate the most sales when they use all the possible selling avenues available to them at all times.

On 7/10/2024 at 7:46 AM, 1Cool said:

I had it for the longest time but I felt like it became a waste of $10 a month since I typically stay away from buying graded books and have not sent anything in to be graded in several years.  I could get prices for raw books via E-Bay so I used GPA as much as I used Overstreet so I cut the cost.  I've always considered myself a part time reseller (dirty flipper to some) so calling myself a "dealer" seems excessive.  With the steady death of the speculation market I'm using the next couple years to see how things are going but I'd not be shocked if I got out of selling books in the next few years.  More money for you and others!

Some speculation is good for the hobby, you can't have growth without it.   COVID was of course when speculation goes too far and hurts the hobby.

The hobby wouldn't have even grown to the extend it did if it wasnt for the MCU spec of 2000's & 2010's.  

MCU coming back to Hall H at SDCC in 2 weeks is the most important event in years for the back issue market!

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 7/10/2024 at 10:47 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Whatnot has declined by a lot since COVID ended.  Sales are way down for the majority of sellers whether they are dealers you have heard of or the bedroom warriors selling their ASM 300 in raw VG condition that they think is rare. lol 

IG is just another tool for all dealers of all ages to sell books when they are bored on a random weeknight.

Any dealer of any generation will generate the most sales when they use all the possible selling avenues available to them at all times.

Sad to hear about the decline in Whatnot since I've been considering signing up but kept balking at setting up the intro meeting.  IG seems like such a waste of time considering I've never used it at all.  I've been very lax about posting on E-Bay which is never good for sales but they keep trickling in so I keep doing my occasional auction to get some views and watching to see if any of my multi copy books gets hot.  I checked out a few books yesterday and I can't believe how far Dazzler books have fallen in price already.   

Edited by 1Cool

On 7/10/2024 at 7:55 AM, 1Cool said:

Sad to hear about the decline in Whatnot since I've been considering signing up but kept balking at setting up the intro meeting.  IG seems like such a waste of time considering I've never used it at all.  I've been very lax about posting on E-Bay which is never good for sales but they keep trickling in so I keep doing my occasional auction to get some views and watching to see if any of my multi copy books get hot.  I checked out a few books yesterday and I can't believe how far Dazzler books have fallen in price already.   

I waken today (see spoiler) and sold a NM 98 CGC 9.8 as I was about to take it off BIN, and auction it off so that was a nice surprise.

Most of my sales come from eBay, I can't complain.  I get paid 4 times a week from eBay, and my sales IMO are strong.

IG is good once you have a following.  So lets says Blazing Bob on his website advertised he is going to start doing IG live sales he would generate a lot of buzz because he already has a large client base.  So when Bob would go live he would have a good amount of people coming into his stream to check it out, etc.  Me it would be the opposite. lol

Spoiler

Well I forgot you can't use the word the awoke (subtract the letter "a") anymore so for once it's not my fault that that my sentence is in error lol   So never again can we here on the boards use that word in sentence in its proper form of waking up from sleep.  WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 7/10/2024 at 7:47 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Whatnot is a boring parade of junk. Sitting through the average sale is just a waste of time.

IG is often a carpy bad picture or two with minimal or sketchy description and usually no grade with “make an offer”

When I spend my money, I want to know what I am getting. I want a little time to know if I feel it is worth it or not.

The legitimate auction houses and even gasp, eBay offer me the ability to make an intelligent decision. 

On 7/10/2024 at 10:46 AM, 1Cool said:

You don't use GPA,  you dion't use Overstreet so what are you using for "pricing data"?  Ebay,  to me one of the worst reference points as far as raw selling goes since you aren't focusing on Graded books.  If you aren't setting up at shows or using a database of your raw sales I would say you are operating in a vacuum. 

Edited by blazingbob

On 7/10/2024 at 8:01 AM, Robot Man said:

Whatnot is a boring parade of junk. Sitting through the average sale is just a waste of time.

IG is often a carpy bad picture or two with minimal or sketchy description and usually no grade with “make an offer”

When I spend my money, I want to know what I am getting. I want a little time to know if I feel it is worth it or not.

The legitimate auction houses and even gasp, eBay offer me the ability to make an intelligent decision. 

Yes, whatnot is a lot of junk.  If I do $200-400 on a 2 hour show on whatnot blowing out some $3-20 books I can't complain.

There are many dealers you deal with that sell on IG, so again point being is they do well on IG.  Ted from Superworld has been doing IG livesales for years. 

I am with you that when buying raw in person is usually the only way.  However, if someone has a Daredevil #168 they grade at FN (6.0) on a IG live stream I can see how that can easily sell.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 7/10/2024 at 8:06 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yes, whatnot is a lot of junk.  If I do $200-400 on a 2 hour show on whatnot blowing out some $3-20 books I can't complain.

There are many dealers you deal with that sell on IG, so again point being is they do well on IG.  Ted from Superworld has been doing IG livesales for years.  He is doing very well.

Ted is a legitimate and well respected dealer. He provides enough information to make an intelligent decision. IG probably works if you use it right. Most IG folks are lazy and out for that quick “turn and burn”…

On 7/10/2024 at 8:11 AM, Robot Man said:

Ted is a legitimate and well respected dealer. He provides enough information to make an intelligent decision. IG probably works if you use it right. Most IG folks are lazy and out for that quick “turn and burn”…

Most people are lazy. :cheers:

That was my point that if a well respected or well established dealer uses whatnot or IG they generally do decent for sales for their time invested.

I mean you have obviously seen dealers at local comic book shows that are overpriced and over graded, and then complain that the show sucked lol   A good business model in all aspects of one's life will generate positive results in all avenues they explore for selling right?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 7/10/2024 at 11:05 AM, blazingbob said:

You don't use GPA,  you dion't use Overstreet so what are you using for "pricing data"?  Ebay,  to me one of the worst reference points as far as raw selling goes since you aren't focusing on Graded books.  If you aren't setting up at shows or using a database of your raw sales I would say you are operating in a vacuum. 

You are just operating with different expectation since it's your primary income and you have invested a ton of time and money into your business (I've enjoyed buying from you over the years due to your good grading and customer service).  My bread and butter over the last decade have been buying books that are spiking before people can reprice either at Cons or via websites like yours and reselling them for a great profit.  So the current prices realized on E-Bay is the best info that I have needed to price books and to know what to pay for books.  The market is changing so I either have to change with it or get out and do something else to generate some part time income.  My wife got a new job and a great pay increase so I'm considering become a sugar baby for her.  Or selling hairy Hobbit feet pics online is a growing market which I'm positioned well.  Fingers crossed!

On 7/10/2024 at 11:35 AM, 1Cool said:

You are just operating with different expectation since it's your primary income and you have invested a ton of time and money into your business (I've enjoyed buying from you over the years due to your good grading and customer service).  My bread and butter over the last decade have been buying books that are spiking before people can reprice either at Cons or via websites like yours and reselling them for a great profit.  So the current prices realized on E-Bay is the best info that I have needed to price books and to know what to pay for books.  The market is changing so I either have to change with it or get out and do something else to generate some part time income.  My wife got a new job and a great pay increase so I'm considering become a sugar baby for her.  Or selling hairy Hobbit feet pics online is a growing market which I'm positioned well.  Fingers crossed!

This wasn't my primary income until I got laid off from Verizon which was my primary job.  However I already had my business in place when I had to go full time.  

On 7/10/2024 at 8:00 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Well I forgot you can't use the word the awoke (subtract the letter "a") anymore so for once it's not my fault that that my sentence is in error lol   So never again can we here on the boards use that word in sentence in its proper form of waking up from sleep.  WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD

8whtp6.jpg

:popcorn:

On 7/10/2024 at 11:40 AM, blazingbob said:

This wasn't my primary income until I got laid off from Verizon which was my primary job.  However I already had my business in place when I had to go full time.  

This is a great way to do it and kudos to you for having the foresight to have a business in place. 

I also have a backup plan in place in case something happens with my current employment, and I have put a lot of work into the structure of it and building up a base. Comic collecting is still a hobby for me right now, but I can switch gears and turn it into a business quickly if needed. Always nice to have a safety net just in case. 

On 7/10/2024 at 11:40 AM, blazingbob said:

Whoops - thought you were a full-time dealer for awhile now.  I appreciate all the work that went into your own selling website and I'm glad it's doing well.  Unfortunately that portion of the market would get oversaturated very quickly if everyone opened a website and tried to sell books like you do.  

Edited by 1Cool

On 7/10/2024 at 9:09 AM, 1Cool said:

Whoops - thought you were a full-time dealer for awhile now.  I appreciate all the work that went into your only selling website and I'm glad it's doing well.  Unfortunately that portion of the market would get oversaturated very quickly if everyone opened a website and tried to sell books like you do.  

Bob has been a full time dealer for a while.  He went full time in 2008 when the financial crisis happened.

On 7/10/2024 at 6:39 AM, 1Cool said:

Like I said I don't have GPA so I was guessing at the recent prices for the Silver-Age books since I don't get them in often and definitely not at a price I can resell.  I knew they were still doing better then Bronze and Copper so I'm happy to hear they are still higher then 2019 prices.  Do you have GPA so would you be willing to post up the data spread for a couple DD books like #4 and #7?  What about a book like JIM 116 or Thor 125? Spec books where the market for over a decade so I don't take them out of the equation but I can understand why you would if you were not a reseller. 

We are back to the boring old days of the blue chips doing well and most everything else going up a couple percent a year.  Slabbing and pressing everything is king.  But I am glad to take your data into the equation so I can update my opinions about those Silver Age books.

DD 4 in 9.0

Year Number High Low  
2024 4 $1500 $840
2023 3 $1150 $1075
2022 2 $1200 $1050
2021 3 $1009 $770
2020 2 $915 $900
2018 2 $970 $621

DD 4 in 8.5

2024 3 $1480 $720
2023 2 $975 $900
2022 2 $965 $900
2021 5 $900 $720
2020 3 $540 $408
2019 3 $500 $480

DD 7 in 8.0

2024 4 $1299 $798
2023 12 $1580 $900
2022 8 $2700 $875
2021 8 $1725 $1000
2020 14 $995 $652
2019 6 $960 $720

JIM 116 in 9.2 it's a cheap book below 9.2 

2024 1 $426 $426
2023 2 $432 $350
2022 1 $411 $411
2020 1 $252 $252
2014 1 $376 $376

On 7/10/2024 at 11:35 AM, 1Cool said:

I'm considering become a sugar baby for her

Is this position open to the public? How can I apply?

On 7/10/2024 at 1:53 PM, Ryan. said:

Is this position open to the public? How can I apply?

Just Paypal me $500 and I'll make sure she gets your info lol