• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
42 42

7,987 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2024 at 11:12 PM, lou_fine said:

It's quite clear to me that with only this one big sale, an argument could indeed be made that this is possibly only an one-time outlier sale and really needs more supporting sales to confirm this price point.  hm  (shrug)

Actually, if you are talking about bottom feeder auction wins, the one that I really wish I had won would be this one here:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/chamber-of-chills-19-multiple-file-copy-group-harvey-1953-condition-average-gd-vg-total-18-comic-books-/a/19062-12153.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Chamber of Chills #19 - Multiple File Copy Group (Harvey, 1953) Condition: Average GD/VG.... (Total: 18 Comic Books)

A multiple File Copy group lot of 18 copies of this now much in demand PCH issue in G/VG condition with water stain damage that sold for only a piddly $418.25 (i.e. only $23 a pop) or for less than 60% of condition guide value back in 2009.  :takeit:

Fast forward to the past few years and you now have multiple sales of this book in beater low grade CGC 2.5 to CGC 3.0 condition consistently hitting 5-figures with no problems at all, which means the winner of the lot back in 2009 must be feeling pretty much like this:  :dollars:  :whee:

Many years ago at SDCC when these file copies came out, a dealer had piles of them on his table. I grabbed a bunch of them including the notable keys. Just one copy each for the PC as they for the most part wern’t in such high demand. There was only one copy of this left by the time I got there and a guy snatched it up in front of me. Wasn’t really upset because it was a rather common issue and I knew I could get another. Well, time caught up and it is still one of the biggest holes in my PCH collection…

On 10/2/2024 at 9:27 AM, DC# said:

Any opinions on first night of ComicConnect?   I watched a few SA ASMs that seemed to be pretty soft.   The FF 1 8.5 was solid.    Their site is just harder to get a full feel for the results 

I did not even know there was an auction going on there... They should let people know when they start an auction like Comiclink does.

On 10/5/2024 at 1:00 PM, pickycollector said:

I did not even know there was an auction going on there... They should let people know when they start an auction like Comiclink does.

Do you subscribe to CC? They email out updates if you're on the list.

On 10/5/2024 at 12:18 PM, VintageComics said:
On 10/5/2024 at 10:00 AM, pickycollector said:

Yes, they send out emails to you on a daily basis weeks prior to the end of their auctions right through to the actual auction day itself.  :gossip:

On 10/3/2024 at 7:28 PM, bc said:

I do remember that.

Sort of odd since the Human Torch was already a GA mainstay and I don't remember any kid setting themselves on fire (shrug)

-bc

Nobody cared about kids back then.  They were supposed to just work the coal mines, come home and eat, sleep a couple of hours, go to school, then work their shift at the coal mines again.  As it should be.

On 10/5/2024 at 3:28 PM, Telegan said:

Nobody cared about kids back then.  They were supposed to just work the coal mines, come home and eat, sleep a couple of hours, go to school, then work their shift at the coal mines again.  As it should be.

On 10/5/2024 at 3:18 PM, VintageComics said:

I guess I cannot receive auctions updates without all other advertising stuff, will need to double-check as I don't want to receive everything but it seems that you cannot select what you want to receive or not.