• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Grade my Hulk 181
3 3

38 posts in this topic

UPDATE: I got the grade back from my Hulk 181, but while the slab is in transit, and I'm still waiting for final images, I liked a suggestion by @AnhDepTraiif anyone wants a final shot at seeing how close they come to the CGC score after pressing.  I'll post the result as soon as I have it in my hands. 

Btw, I used Spot on Grading app to help me estimate my grade and it was only .5 off.

I have owned this Hulk 181 since 1974 and it was well read, but has been protected for the last 30 years. It is structurally in solid shape, all pages well connected, has the Marvel value stamp, colors are good, but it does have a number of issues, which I have tried to highlight in these pics. I am submitting the book to CCS for pressing before I have it graded.

RFC: has a crease/fold about 3/4" long at the corner at about a 75 degree angle

LLFC: has  small 1/16" flap tear still attached near the bottom left corner, which itself is blunted.

LFC: There are a number of spine ticks along the left edge.

LFC: There is one small section of a few vertical lines of break in color crossing Wolverine's left arm.

LBC: There is a 1/8 inch tear missing at the bottom of the page and visible on the inside back cover.

Finally, inside there are 4 pages that each have two small parallel 1/16" page nicks at the bottom of those pages. (see example on page 17).

I appreciate your grading opinions, as well as whether you would sell or keep this once it is slabbed.

Thank you.

20210429_182422-picsay.jpg

rear cover Hulk 181.jpg

20210429_195822.jpg

20210429_200047.jpg

iniside page 17.jpg

centerfold hulk 181.jpg

inside back cover and last page.jpg

Edited by Hownow53

I'm at about 4.5 with those creases bottom right front and Nick's out of the front and back

Spine isn't too bad but the creases and Nick's will keep it from 5.0

On the adverse side the spine looks pretty goo especially on the back that I dont see 4.0

Hope this helps @Hownow53

7 hours ago, MPH1964 said:

4.5 + gratuitous key bump = 5.0  -- 5.5 after C&P

@MPH1964 I like your positive train of thought since this book keeps increasing in value, @Jim M your gastronomic direction, and @ADAMANTIUM your positivity. You have all inspired me to write this riff (with respect) on my new CGC journey channeling Green Lantern's oath:

In brightest day in blackest night,
No blemish shall escape their sight,
Let those who seek a book that's "right"
Embrace the power of CGC's might!