• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "I can't believe I just sold it for that much" thread....
5 5

205 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

This on a larger scale is what's plagued the fine art world for decades. 

A group of buyers/dealers will collect 20-30 pieces worth $10k each. Then they'll auction one or two and shill them to $50k, buying the piece themselves and eating the commission and buyers premium.

BOOM -- suddenly this mid-level artist is hot and this group sells off their other pieces. 

Not saying this is the explanation for the manic increase in comic values, but with people treating GPA and GoCollect as gospel, you can see how it might happen.

hm

There is also a ton of money laundering and tax evasion in the discrete fine art world.

32 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

This on a larger scale is what's plagued the fine comic art world for decades. 

A group of buyers/dealers will collect 20-30 pieces worth $10k each. Then they'll auction one or two and shill them to $50k, buying the piece themselves and eating the commission and buyers premium.

BOOM -- suddenly this mid-level artist is hot and this group sells off their other pieces. 

Not saying this is the explanation for the manic increase in comic values, but with people treating GPA and GoCollect as gospel, you can see how it might happen.

hm

Fixed that for you. lol 

I didn't shill it though.  I decided that since I was the only guy that had a graded copy of the book that I would set the bar and call the shots.   I had a few inquiries about the book but since I only had $40 invested into it, I shrugged them off. 

Interestingly the book was sold overseas to someone in Germany using the eBay Global Shipping Program so they definitely paid more than the $325. 

I made mention of the comic art thing because I seem to notice certain trends in that area where people pretend that the next undervalued artist that nobody has yet jumped on should be raised to the levels of the next Cezanne. 

Edited by Buzzetta

33 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

This on a larger scale is what's plagued the fine art world for decades. 

hm

Cornering the market.  Happens more than you know.  

7 minutes ago, joeypost said:

You also have to factor in inventory. It’s not that simple. And because someone else does it,doesn’t always mean it’s legal or ethical. 

I know, I was speaking broadly. 

Edited by SuperBird