• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "I can't believe I just sold it for that much" thread....
5 5

205 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Money Laundering is definitely a good thought...

8 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Yes. About a decade ago I made the argument that comics are transitioning into being 'artifacts' rather than comic books.

And we've already had a precedent set with money laundering. Remember the Tadano corp. scandal? There were so many twists and turns in that story that you could make a Hollywood blockbuster out of the story. They attempted to launder $9MIL and then the comics were stolen AGAIN from the DA's office during the investigation!

8 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Money Laundering is definitely a good thought...

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/22/8870089/texas-comic-book-heist-anthony-chiofalo-tadano

https://www.equipmentworld.com/business/article/14954313/tadano-america-comic-book-embezzler-named-one-of-top-10-costliest-frauds

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Yes. About a decade ago I made the argument that comics are transitioning into being 'artifacts' rather than comic books.

And we've already had a precedent set with money laundering. Remember the Tadano corp. scandal? There were so many twists and turns in that story that you could make a Hollywood blockbuster out of the story. They attempted to launder $9MIL and then the comics were stolen AGAIN from the DA's office during the investigation!

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/22/8870089/texas-comic-book-heist-anthony-chiofalo-tadano

https://www.equipmentworld.com/business/article/14954313/tadano-america-comic-book-embezzler-named-one-of-top-10-costliest-frauds

Interesting, I've heard about money laundering with us real estate by foreign oligarchs. I guess it makes sense that they could do it with high-dollar collectibles. Maybe that's why the price doesn't matter

Just now, Wolverinex said:

Interesting, I've heard about money laundering with us real estate by foreign oligarchs. I guess it makes sense that they could do it with high-dollar collectibles. Maybe that's why the price doesn't matter

In the case of the Promise collection that sold on Heritage, I know the winning bidder of most of the bigger books and I don't think they're laundering money. lol

But money laundering is definitely an issue in any market where big dollars change hands, not just comics. I posted a link in another forum but the FBI just did an $82MIL raid on safety deposit boxes in a private bank in LA.

As I mentioned there, after all of the stimulus money they've printed over the years and especially the last year, look for all levels of government from parking tickets to the highest ends of the economy to look for weighs to recoup money to pay down the deficit and seizing and collecting illegal money will be at the top of the list.

I've already noticed locally that they are handing out parking tickets and speeding tickets like crazy after almost 2 years of no revenue.

9 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

How can they afford those expensive books?   If she was never arrested and would able to buy the whole Promise collection easily - Queen of Meth made $200,000 a week.

45 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

In the case of the Promise collection that sold on Heritage, I know the winning bidder of most of the bigger books and I don't think they're laundering money. lol

But money laundering is definitely an issue in any market where big dollars change hands, not just comics. I posted a link in another forum but the FBI just did an $82MIL raid on safety deposit boxes in a private bank in LA.

As I mentioned there, after all of the stimulus money they've printed over the years and especially the last year, look for all levels of government from parking tickets to the highest ends of the economy to look for weighs to recoup money to pay down the deficit and seizing and collecting illegal money will be at the top of the list.

I've already noticed locally that they are handing out parking tickets and speeding tickets like crazy after almost 2 years of no revenue.

Maybe the promise collection wouldn't be the best to launder money since it's one of a kind...  just a universal label of a mega key would be better.  

46 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

What's the FBI raid on the safetybox I  would love to read that.  

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

What's the FBI raid on the safetybox I  would love to read that.  

https://news.bitcoin.com/fbi-seizes-800-beverly-hills-safety-deposit-boxes-with-86m-attorneys-claim-feds-raid-unconstitutional/

Received a second email from ebay on sports cards trading.  First was that it wouldn't allow bid retractions and the second was reducing the refund window to 3 days (from 30)

Could be that both are used to flip cards.  Buy for $10k sell for $12k and even with fees it could be worth it.  If it doesn't sell, you simply refund it.  Result is a cycle upward of prices until the music stops.  

I think it's a little harder with comics as ebay is not the primary place for $10k comics but it can still happen.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:21 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

When you wipe your bum with $100 bills, and toss socks out after 1 use. You will understand them rich folks.

Not if they drink that vintage prune juice they could be out of undreds pretty quick lol

DAA495p.jpg

prune-juice-warriors-drink-45413580-1.png

Edited by Namtak

25 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

That's a better perspective for sure but make no mistake, the powers that be will try to get paid back any way they can within whatever the law allows and seizures are a very lucrative business.