• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "I can't believe I just sold it for that much" thread....
5 5

205 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2021 at 8:47 PM, VintageComics said:

Wow that is quite the story! So in 2012 that guy got 40 years on a plea deal, but the minimum to serve on it was 8 years. He would have got less time if he gave back millions missing, but refused. 

So he could have got out in 2020 with millions to dump on comics? 🤔🤔🤔

I also wonder how many others read this article and made improvements to their scams based on it...

53 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

So what's so funny about the book?

It's not easy in CGC 9.8 (shrug)

A lot of ASM collectors want 9.8's

I collect 9.8s but there is nothing significant about this book, a whopping’ classic cover :facepalm:

29 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I collect 9.8s but there is nothing significant about this book, a whopping’ classic cover :facepalm:

Well I dont think people thinks is a classic cover, but yes it is a good cover and not easy in CGC 9.8.

I see worse books go for way more in grade though. 

58 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Because the last 2 I sold in 9.8 went for about $1000 each? lol

Listen that fact I can get more than $1000 for an X-men 129 in a CGC 9.8 (which arrives tomorrow from CGC :gossip:) to me is more shocking. 

To me shocking would be Captain Planet #1 going for $100 more than any ASM book in CGC 9.8.

Or maybe I am just jaded and unless I see books go for over 10k, I dont care. 

image.png.2552f4c9c9cb0bc60e4f6d407b2509f4.png

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 6/18/2021 at 3:23 PM, paqart said:

This brought to mind the movie "the Accountant" starring Ben Affleck. In it, he has to go to his stash house and grab all of his portable treasures. Among them, A copy of Action Comics #1 (clearly a fake). The way he handled it made me cringe. If it had been real, it would have lost significant value just from the filming. Also, not in a case, maybe not even a bag.

A real missed opportunity by the director.  Showing him handling it carefully and placing in box would have solidified his character as a nitpicker as well as demonstrated to the audience how valuable the book is.  Never miss an opportunity to advance character and give details without telling them (exposition) by merely changing something simple.  We're not talking 5 extra minutes of screen time here.  5 seconds would do the trick.

1 hour ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Well I dont think people thinks is a classic cover, but yes it is a good cover and not easy in CGC 9.8.

I see worse books go for way more in grade though. 

Just because it’s hard to get in 9.8 doesn’t mean its rare, most buyers back in the day passed on the book and said this must be a reprint lol

9 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Just because it’s hard to get in 9.8 doesn’t mean its rare, most buyers back in the day passed on the book and said this must be a reprint lol

Still not seeing your point.  No one said it's rare or a classic cover, my point is ASM CGC 9.8's can go batty sometimes and its not really shocking. 

Most people submit garbage and lose $ to CGC daily, that shocks me more!  Many submitters give CGC $500 to get back $350.