• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #300 or STAR WARS CLONE WARS #1
1 1

46 posts in this topic

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought it was about time I joined in with the shenanigans. 

Now that we’re finally able to get out to bars again (albeit outside only at the minute), me and a friend I haven’t seen in a while met up for a couple of drinks and the topic quickly moved to comics and the insanity of the market over the past year with how much certain books have spiked in price etc.

Anyhow, a few pints later, and I can’t remember exactly how we got into the debate, but we were debating which book is a better investment - both short term and longer term. Both in the same grade (we opted to stick to the more moderate 9.4 NM’s rather than the 9.8s which can skew prices etc). Both slabbed by cgc. Both first print standard non newsstand covers. 

His view was clone wars #1 all day long. Much less of them out there, no where near its peak given no tano show yet. Much more room grow. Star Wars stuff will extend beyond comic fans into pop culture fandom etc.

I on the other hand thought ASM #300 was the better book to own and/or invest in. Arguably introduced the best “new” comic character from the past 30 years, the fact spidey’s rogue gallery is amongst the very best (bar maybe Batman’s), the iconic nature of the cover, the fact there still is room to grow, the McFarlane factor, the track record of ASM titles etc. I just felt this was the smarter and safer option.

Anyways, our discussion ended in an impasse and switched to other topics of the day (Covid, football, movies) but on my way home, I began to think he was right so was he?

All things being equal (grade, case etc), is clone wars #1 a better investment than asm #300?

Btw, thanks to you all for hours of hilarity, insight and more over the past year especially - from “Friday” posts to books heating up - it seems a great community and glad to have plucked up (maybe with the help of a few pints!) the courage to start posting!

Cheers 🍻 

Edited by herecomestheboom

For collecting it's asm300. I enjoy starwars and ahsoka but her first appearance is cartoon movie. I don't care about bat12 either but at least the cartoon was a comic book character cartoon. That's just me. I like fast and furious, john wick, game of thrones etc but I am not excited to add their first comic book appearances to my personal collection. I will gladly dig them out and sell them though when people start paying decent money for them.

Investment wise I have no idea. I sold all my copies of both and invested in other things. Everyone knows ahsoka tv show is coming and they seen the mandalorian so don't count on that for a boost. It may keep rising but not because people rush to get it after seeing tv show. I figure most potential buyers know who ahsoka is. Even if you believe the tv show will give a boost what about the venom 2 boost? Venom 3 boost? Venom teaming up with spiderman boost? 

On 5/11/2021 at 5:25 AM, godzilla43 said:

-Buying now and selling in two years Clone Wars 1
-Buying now and selling in five years Clone Wars 1 or ASM 300
-Buying now and selling in 10 years ASM 300

what's going to happen with precious metals (gold and silver) in 2, 5, and 10 years? :popcorn: 

ASM300 is the better long term investment.  Classic cover, classic artist, classic(ish?) villain.  Demand for that book will always be high.

Meanwhile, Ahsoka is a character from a fringe part of the fandom.  What percentage of the people who watched the movies have actually watched the animated series?  It's small from what I can tell.  And you're looking at an even smaller subset of those people who are actually comic book collectors interested in her first appearance.  Demand is low and I don't think any live action TV show is going to change that.  How much is Star Wars #1 going for?  How much is a 1st Boba Fett?

On 5/11/2021 at 5:25 AM, godzilla43 said:

-Buying now and selling in two years Clone Wars 1
-Buying now and selling in five years Clone Wars 1 or ASM 300
-Buying now and selling in 10 years ASM 300

What's going to happen to DOGE in the next 2, 5, and 10 years? :popcorn: 

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

ASM300 is the better long term investment.  Classic cover, classic artist, classic(ish?) villain.  Demand for that book will always be high.

Meanwhile, Ahsoka is a character from a fringe part of the fandom.  What percentage of the people who watched the movies have actually watched the animated series?  It's small from what I can tell.  And you're looking at an even smaller subset of those people who are actually comic book collectors interested in her first appearance.  Demand is low and I don't think any live action TV show is going to change that.  How much is Star Wars #1 going for?  How much is a 1st Boba Fett?

I couldn't disagree more. Full disclosure, I own several copies of #1 special and normal covers(I also own two 9.8 ASM 300s). I didn't have any  Clone Wars copies until just over a year ago, when it was obvious they are shaping Ahoska up to be this generations Luke and demand is definitely not low. Normal cover is selling often at 3k+. Special is at 8k. Besides SW #1 in 9.8,  It's the king of any Star Wars book right now. That's saying a lot for a character that never hit the big screen. 

Edited by I like pie

1 hour ago, I like pie said:

I couldn't disagree more. Full disclosure, I own several copies of #1 special and normal covers(I also own two 9.8 ASM 300s). I didn't have any  Clone Wars copies until just over a year ago, when it was obvious they are shaping Ahoska up to be this generations Luke and demand is definitely not low. Normal cover is selling often at 3k+. Special is at 8k. Besides SW #1 in 9.8,  It's the king of any Star Wars book right now. That's saying a lot for a character that never hit the big screen. 

I should have clarified: demand is low compared to ASM300.  Conversely, production run is also low and thus relative to available supply, it's harder to get copies of CW1.  But in terms of pop culture iconography, Venom is known amongst hardcore and casual comic fans alike.  Pre-Mandalorian, Ahsoka wasn't even known amongst die hard Star Wars fans.  And if I'm honest, the live action representation is a pale version of the magnificence that is her animated character and I'm not sure if it's enough to dramatically draw that many more eyes to go back and watch Clone Wars.  (And believe me, I basically shout from the rooftops that people need to watch Clone Wars).  Bottom line, I own copies of both books, I just think ASM300 is the safer bet.