• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old CGC Restored Labels

11 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

If a book was graded "Restored" before the "Conserved" grade came into existence, and has slight, professional work of cover cleaned and cover reinforced. Could it receive a conserved grade if resubmitted today ? 

The "cover reinforced" is sometimes interpreted (fairly or unfairly) as "pieces added," which would get you a purple label.

Just depends on the grader, whether his favorite football team lost, the phase of the moon, and the whims of the drunken dart-throwing monkey who determines such things. 

17 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

The "cover reinforced" is sometimes interpreted (fairly or unfairly) as "pieces added," which would get you a purple label.

Just depends on the grader, whether his favorite football team lost, the phase of the moon, and the whims of the drunken dart-throwing monkey who determines such things. 

I agree, doesn't seem to be any strict policy on what defines a purple or conserved label.  I even sprang the $10 bucks for the grader notes to see if it could shed some more specific information as what was done to the book, and it says no more than the label as far as work performed on the book. So, I basically wasted $10 bucks to find out nothing.

@Mr.Fantastic I'm hoping that CGC will broaden their grading notation when it comes to restoration. It would help buyers, sellers, and graders. My guess is that they won't because they can't. The restoration is too good and only getting better. If they allowed documentation (notes, photos, even video) from the restorationist, that might help and lift professionally restored books up out of the purple ghetto. 

As I'm sure you already know, CGC and CCS employ some of the leading restoration experts in the world. They're fully capable of determining the type and extent of the restoration work that was done and whether that work meets their specific standards. But I think it would be a great idea to have other restoration professionals submit a thorough description of any work they performed on specific books, especially major keys...but of course that's easier said than done.  (shrug)  

16 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

As I'm sure you already know, CGC and CCS employ some of the leading restoration experts in the world. They're fully capable of determining the type and extent of the restoration work that was done and whether that work meets their specific standards. But I think it would be a great idea to have other restoration professionals submit a thorough description of any work they performed on specific books, especially major keys...but of course that's easier said than done.  (shrug)  

Did you see the Batman 1 that Hero Restoration worked on? They subbed it and it came back untrimmed. When I asked them about it they made it sound like their work is undetectable.

Edited by MatterEaterLad

5 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Did you see the Batman 1 that Hero Restoration worked on? They subbed it and it came back untrimmed. When I asked them about it they made it sound like their work is undetectable.

So it was trimmed and CGC missed it?  hm

42 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

So it was trimmed and CGC missed it?  hm

(shrug)

I wish I knew the whole story, but trade secrets and all.

It was a purple Bat1 with the top edge trimmed. They leaf cast a new edge that matched so well it came back as untrimmed. 

On 5/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

They leaf cast a new edge that matched so well it came back as untrimmed. 

Interesting. I have to assume this is a pretty narrow strip. Front of cover yellow. Inside cover matching whatever PQ the rest of it is, since it would just be a plain unprinted area. Maybe it was just missed or whoever did the resto check was not up to the task?