• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Promise Collection
3 3

151 posts in this topic

Don't misinterpret my comments as being critical of this entire collection its just that when were looking at what's being touted as the rival in regards to Church's collection of which many of these books will equal or surpass in grades, I'm thinking the grades are really going to be scrutinized..   

..but I will be throwing (perhaps in futility) much of my hard earned financial resources at a number of these books..and I wish everyone else bidding all the best..

Edited by nooncee

5 minutes ago, october said:

I heard murderin' is hungry work. Word on the street is that they took a few nibbles off some Subby corners on the way out the back door.

Makes hangry thinking about it.

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

murdered the older brother

... Word has it that he is enslaved in the shipping department ... still out of the picture, but if all comes apart at the seams, the penalties are less severe ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... oh, and to throw in my two cents, I see maybe a half dozen that seem negligently overgraded and about as many blatantly undergraded ... anything else is just opinion and we already know the catchphrase concerning that. 

A couple interesting notes. Pressing usually bumped the grade only a little like the LB Cole Contacts.
There is a Batman 1 but not in high grade.
There is a Suspense 11 in 9.8 coming.

They talk about writing on books and grading. An maybe a little swipe at the boards here about writing on covers, LOL.

7 double covers in the collection so far.

Edited by Rip

16 hours ago, szav said:

I'm very curious to see what people say about how these look in hand if anyone gets the chance to see them.  Really bright scans can certainly bring out bends and creases etc. that you can't even see with your naked eye.  The one time I forked out 5$ to have CGC to do the scanned image of a favorite book of mine I had slabbed, well when I got the pic before the book arrived back I was put into a panic thinking they had mangled my book, but then when I got it in hand it looked as it had when I sent it in.  1st pic is the CGC scan, 2nd pic is my photo and even when I hold this up really close in hand, or no matter how I rotate it, I can't make it look as bad as the CGC scan did.  So, maybe thats the case with a few of these Promise books like the Punch 19, maybe some of the apparent ticking around the spine isnt so visible.  Again, would love to hear from anyone who got to see them in hand.

APC6cgc7front.jpg

APC6cgc7.jpg

This is a really significant post.  I don't think I've seen a clearer representation of just how huge a difference a scan can make.  The CGC scan would make me think the book was a 5.0.  While in the 2nd photo the book appears to be the 7.0 it has been graded.  Hmm.  Buy the book not the scan?

The suggestions that these are "Right under the Mile High" in the video is quite the commentary.

Like mentioned before, until these get into boardies hands for multiple feedback that will remain to be seen, but Brian certainly makes one believe this could be the case. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Love said:
Suspense Comics 5 8.0
Suspense Comics 6 9.6
Suspense Comics 7 9.4
Suspense Comics 8 9.2
Suspense Comics 9 9.4
Suspense Comics 10 9.4
Suspense Comics 11 9.8
Suspense Comics 12 9.6

Would be very interesting to know the 1 - 4 grades.

3 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
8 hours ago, Dr. Love said:
Suspense Comics 5 8.0
Suspense Comics 6 9.6
Suspense Comics 7 9.4
Suspense Comics 8 9.2
Suspense Comics 9 9.4
Suspense Comics 10 9.4
Suspense Comics 11 9.8
Suspense Comics 12 9.6
Expand  

Would be very interesting to know the 1 - 4 grades.

1     9.8

2     9.8

3     9.9

4     9.8

:whatthe:

2 hours ago, Bookery said:

This is a really significant post.  I don't think I've seen a clearer representation of just how huge a difference a scan can make.  The CGC scan would make me think the book was a 5.0.  While in the 2nd photo the book appears to be the 7.0 it has been graded.  Hmm.  Buy the book not the scan?

Heritage had a problem with imaging for years ... Although my recent experience with a pulp submission had them all spot on. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo (a friend of Jesus)(thumbsu