• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist Proof Question

22 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, Shin-Kaiser said:

I've never seen monoprints being called 'original art'. Maybe they've been called 'Artists proofs' but the fact that it's a print of digital work is often clearly stated. I don't think any dealer would dare risk their reputation by making such a claim.

The reps give heavy sales pitches about them being original art since the artists don't work in a "traditional medium". They're never misrepresenting what it is but it's being pitched as the same

On 10/19/2021 at 9:49 PM, Carlo M said:

As the owner of not one but two APs by Dauterman I am officially disappointed by this result .  Granted this is not the best of his recent covers but I would have expected a price closer to the initial price . This auction result is not consistent with the speed at which the AP are being sold by the reps of artists such as Dauterman himself or Larraz. Oh well …win some lose some .

Maybe this result will cool down the primary market for these prints?

My take on this is that there's clearly a different demo-graph of collectors who purchase artwork via auctions as opposed to buying artwork from art reps, and these auction collectors are also predominantly the traditional pencil & ink enthusiast.

That and the artwork isn't really that good!

On 10/19/2021 at 9:54 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Actually, it isn’t that limited at all. Just go on Comic Art Tracker; there is a lot of new stuff, as well as tons of old stuff. Now, there may be some value in it in 25 or 30 years, but the ROI is likely to be low—particularly as Millenials pay off their college loans.

I think it's difficult to predict where we'll be in 25-30 years and what financial influence millennials will have, especially after the recent spat of Bitcoin and Etherium millionaires. I have no doubt in my mind that traditional pencil & ink pages will always command higher prices. But as more and more artist inevitably produce work digitally, the status quo on APs are bound to change.

If you mean less than pencil & ink pages when you say low ROI, then I agree with you. If you mean this abysmal -79% Dauterman result, then no. This will change.