• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diamond Run Pedigree

46 posts in this topic

Hello Benz.

I have been putting together a few bits and pieces from different threads. Not very much on Diamond run as yet but here's what I have.

I own 2 of the Diamond run Books;

Hawkman #1 1964 CGC 9.0

Daredevil Annual #1 Sept-1967 CGC 9.4

****Diamond Run*****

Posted by Namisgr on CGC forums.

Back to the Diamond Run pedigree for a moment. An e-bay seller out of Boston by the handle of "sbl" sells books from this pedigree periodically. I purchased the HOS 92 (cgc 9.0) from the pedigree from this seller. I do not know anything more about this seller and pedigree - Blazing Bob certainly would, as a former seller of both the AF15 (9.4) and JIM83 (9.0) books.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I own several of the Diamond Run Marvel Avengers books, including issue 4, which were marketed by Joe Latino, who lives in Connecticut. Apparently the original owner was affiliated with comics in some way, either as an editor or in some similar position. The original owner wishes to remain anonymous, supposedly.

Here's Mr. Latino's description from an email to me several years ago: "The (Diamond Run) collection is historically important not only for its size and condition but also because of who the owner was. The Avengers run was one of his favorite(s) and he almost kept the No. 4 book because he believes that it is the most important book in that run...the Return of Captain America was viewed by him as ...the most significant...in the Silver Age. This run was bought off the stand...and then stored for the last 35 + years".

I had a posting on this pedigree about 2 years ago, but couldn't retrieve it from the search feature on the CGC forum site. I know it's not much information, but I hope it helps.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Regards,

Russ...

I also own a couple Diamond Run books. What I can add to the above (also per Joe Latino) is that the books span from the '30s to the ''80s 893whatthe.gif and that a good number of them have a date stamp on the back cover. The condition seems to vary significantly, but there are some very nice books present. I love the fact that he states that the collection is important because of who owned it, but won't say who that is.

I love the fact that he states that the collection is important because of who owned it, but won't say who that is.

Not to mention he says the "original owner wants to remain anonymous" - it's more likely the collection was acquired under more dubious methods and he wants to keep it on the hush-hush.

I bet Chuckles wishes he'd never opened his mouth about Church and instead had concocted a tale similar to this.

I have 3 DR ASMs 2 of which are CGCed 9.0s and another is a raw 9.0/9.2. Latino has a very inflated idea of how nice the pedigree is, as can be seen by the prices he puts on his Diamond Run auctions, and how many of the auctions actually end in a sale.

hi.gif thanks for the info guys...i bought the Avengers 1 from blazingbob and was curious about this pedigree...like how it got the name (diamond) and 893whatthe.gif was surprised to learn that the collection has golden and silver age...wow. thumbsup2.gif

Not to mention he says the "original owner wants to remain anonymous" - it's more likely the collection was acquired under more dubious methods and he wants to keep it on the hush-hush.

There's probably some dead comic collector bodies in burried in Latino's backyard..or this makes it so that no one can verify the exact inventory of the pedigree, making it easier to ADD books as you go along... and is that his real name or his ethnic background? I've always been leery of collecting pedigrees for this reason. There is so much room for duping the customer and squeezing a premium out for some quirky story about a whack job who bought comics back in the day. What makes it any different from the way we collect today?

i bought the Avengers 1 from blazingbob and was curious about this pedigree...

Nice pick up, Benz! thumbsup2.gif

This is one of the pedigrees people probably know the least about. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall a Diamond Run JIM 83 (CGC 9.0?), and of course the famous DR AF 15 (CGC 9.4).

i bought the Avengers 1 from blazingbob and was curious about this pedigree...

Nice pick up, Benz! thumbsup2.gif

This is one of the pedigrees people probably know the least about. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall a Diamond Run JIM 83 (CGC 9.0?), and of course the famous DR AF 15 (CGC 9.4).

Thanks Tim, i picked it up since its a key book and pedigree...its nice to know some history of the books...like White Mountain notes dates on his comic and Winnipeg writes his name 893whatthe.gif It was a choice between Avengers 1 DR or Avengers 4 WM...I would love to get both...but I still have to save money on a big key book i am trying to get. headbang.gif

I love the fact that he states that the collection is important because of who owned it, but won't say who that is.

I bet Chuckles wishes he'd never opened his mouth about Church and instead had concocted a tale similar to this.

As per Joe Latino, the real owner of the Diamond Run books is Mr. Tom Fagan. He is one of the persons behind the Rutland Halloween Parade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutland_Halloween_Parade

I've met Joe Latino and bought some Diamond Run OAAW books off him at very reasonable prices. He does live in CT as do I.

Joe Latino, Diamond Run, reasonable prices...didn't think I'd see those phrases all grouped together in a sentence.

I've met Joe Latino and bought some Diamond Run OAAW books off him at very reasonable prices. He does live in CT as do I.

Joe Latino, Diamond Run, reasonable prices...didn't think I'd see those phrases all grouped together in a sentence.

gossip.gif how high is his prices compared to gpanalysis or overstreet guide? he came out recently about DR story because quite a few books (batman, detectives) were stolen. as an aside CGC decided to remove DR also from the list of pedigree/collection.

as an aside CGC decided to remove DR also from the list of pedigree/collection.

If this is true, it would be very interesting to hear from CGC why they did this.

Steve B: True or false? If true, why? popcorn.gif