• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diamond Run Pedigree

46 posts in this topic

If I CGC this unrestored Tec# 29 Diamond Run will there be a pedigree, collection or no description?

Tec29.jpg

From what I understand, if you have that tec #29 graded today with CGC there will be no notation of anything. From what I understand with Joe L. CGC stopped recognizing DR as a collection or as a pedigree because some of the books were not bought "new" of the stands.

Joe L. disagrees with this view and he also pointed that some of the Mile High and Davis Crippen books were not bought off the stands yet CGC classifies it as a Pedigree.

Interesting thought no? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From what I understand with Joe L. CGC stopped recognizing DR as a collection or as a pedigree because some of the books were not bought "new" of the stands.

Joe L. disagrees with this view and he also pointed that some of the Mile High and Davis Crippen books were not bought off the stands yet CGC classifies it as a Pedigree.

Doesn't it depend on how many of the books in a collection were bought second-hand? Requiring that 100% of the books in a pedigree be purchased off the newsstand would be unrealistic because it would be impossible to confirm to such an absolute degree and, as you've correctly pointed out, books in several recognized pedigrees, such as Mile High, Davis Crippen and also Winnipeg, were acquired second-hand. Wasn't the MH Action 1 a second-hand acquisition by Edgar Church?

Seems to me CGC would be better off adopting a "substantially all were acquired off the newsstand" test instead. Then the next question would be what percentage of books in the Diamond Run collection were newsstand bought and what percentage were acquired second-hand. If it were as high as 5% second-hand, then I would say it's not a pedigree.

......but it would be a collection.

The test then is when does a collection get included on a label 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Like Don Rosa for instance? Which to my knowledge (and I freely admit I could be wrong) is not a pedigree.

I've met Joe Latino and bought some Diamond Run OAAW books off him at very reasonable prices. He does live in CT as do I.

Joe Latino, Diamond Run, reasonable prices...didn't think I'd see those phrases all grouped together in a sentence.

All I can comment on is my experience with the man. confused-smiley-013.gif

He was selling a batch of OAAW books on ebay for a very reasonable starting bid. I threw down what I thought was a decent bid and was immediately outbid by another bidder and lost the auction. I took a chance and emailed him about more DR OAAW books. He had some more and we worked out a couple deals offline.

We met and discussed price. He brought the books for me to look over. He even brought his son along to one of the meetings. Joe came across to me as a nice, genuine type of guy. I was very pleased with the whole process and the price was right.

he came out recently about DR story because quite a few books (batman, detectives) were stolen. as an aside CGC decided to remove DR also from the list of pedigree/collection.

I haven't heard any of this. What are the details on DR that were released?

The test then is when does a collection get included on a label 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think you need to be famous to get the collection label or someone influential in the comic industry like Don/Maggie Thompson, Nadia M., Nic cage, Stan Lee and the likes.

I think Tom Fagan does'nt count. tonofbricks.gif

was a list of all the books in the collection ever done? there's a post up there early on that insinuates that the exact number of books is unknown.

if that is true, and i don't know if it is or not, that would represent to me a significant stumbling block in allowing Ped status for DR books

From what I understand with Joe L. CGC stopped recognizing DR as a collection or as a pedigree because some of the books were not bought "new" of the stands.

Doesn't it depend on how many of the books in a collection were bought second-hand? Requiring that 100% of the books in a pedigree be purchased off the newsstand would be unrealistic because it would be impossible to confirm to such an absolute degree and, as you've correctly pointed out, books in several recognized pedigrees, such as Mile High, Davis Crippen and also Winnipeg, were acquired second-hand. Wasn't the MH Action 1 a second-hand acquisition by Edgar Church?

No makepoint.gif

The Tec 27 was second hand.

No makepoint.gif

The Tec 27 was second hand.

Tec 27, Action 1. They all kind of blur together for me. juggle.gif

Like Don Rosa for instance? Which to my knowledge (and I freely admit I could be wrong) is not a pedigree.

Its a pedigree. As far as I've heard, Don Rosa just didn't want his name and only his name as the pedigree's handle. So they tossed collection in. Makes it confusing, I know.

So what was the final verdict on the Diamond Run recognition? Will CGC grade and note Diamond Run copies with certs as they have in the past or has this become another situation similiar to the Mile High II raw copies with certs?

Can Steve B. or someone please respond?

hm.

This may explain why Latino has been getting his books PGXed or CGGed or whatever that other place is called.

thumbsup2.gif that's correct. PGX agreed to certify it as a collection. No official word from CGC though. I wonder if CGC released any information regarding removal of the DR from the pedigree lists?

So what was the final verdict on the Diamond Run recognition? Will CGC grade and note Diamond Run copies with certs as they have in the past or has this become another situation similiar to the Mile High II raw copies with certs?

Can Steve B. or someone please respond?

popcorn.gif